The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    In light of today's events, anybody have an uplifting or easy read to suggest? I need a break from reality.
    Anything by Sarah Addison Allen. Seriously. She's amazing.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I loved The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey. It is somewhat fanciful, and beautifully written. The other best book of my year was Wild, by Cheryl Strayed.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

2 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Wow, thanks guys! Going to look into all of these .

My favourites of this year would be

Shake Hands with the Devil: The Failure of Humanity in Rwanda by Romeo Dallaire

and

Day of Honey by Anna Ciezaldo
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote.

Not a light read by very relevant to today's events.

AWOL on the Appalachian Trail. Easy reading, well written, and a real insight into a thru-hike

Where Men Win Glory by John Krakauer. It's the real story of Pat Tillman's too-short life, and his death in Afghanistan. Anything by John Krakauer will be flawlessly researched and exceptionally well written.

Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith (Anne Lamott)

Quote Originally Posted by clint View Post
    I loved The Snow Child, by Eowyn Ivey. It is somewhat fanciful, and beautifully written.
    Ah, yes. I liked this one, too. A bit sad, though.

I didn't read this, I listened to it in the car and I don't know if I'd say it was the best book I "read" this year but I certainly enjoyed it. A Walk In The Woods by Bill Bryson. I found it really funny and fun to listen to in the car.

Bonsall, CA- with my horses finally home again!

I just finished "The Art of Fielding" by Chad Harbach. Very much enjoyed it- reminded me strongly of Jonathan Franzen and tangentially of Tom Wolfe.
    ~Living the life I imagined~

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Savages. They ruined it with the movie, but the book is definitely worth a read. Also, The Casual Vacancy. I know a lot of people hated it, but I just keep being drawn back to it for some reason...
    FWIW, I loved "The Casual Vacancy" too.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    Oh, good! I am beginning to prefer non-fiction and biographies/autobiographies. This one was great. Like reading "This is Spinal Tap" but better.
    Oh, yes. It definitely goes to 11!

I've read so many rock autobiographies. Mick Fleetwoods's was great, as was Levon Helm's. Patti Smith's book was enjoyable, oh, and I bought Mackenzie Phillips autobiography at the grocery store. It was lurid and disgusting, and I read it in two days!
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I loved The Last Time I Was Me by Cathy Lamb: http://www.betterworldbooks.com/9780...758214638.aspx I actually love all of her books (including Such A Pretty Face and Julia's Chocolates) but this one really resonated with me.

I also loved Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh: http://www.betterworldbooks.com/9780...345525543.aspx
    TIMBERRIDGE SPORTHORSES:
    www.timberridgesporthorses.com
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Where Men Win Glory by John Krakauer...

Grace (Eventually): Thoughts on Faith (Anne Lamott)
    I have read all Krakauer's books, but I felt he lost his way on that one and got too caught up in the politics. I have read Into Thin Air around ten times and I could read it again tomorrow.

I love Anne Lamott! We just went to a reading of hers at the central library.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I lost a dear friend recently and so I've been a bit obsessed with death. I read "To Heaven and Back" and it gave me some peace.

I read a quirky book called "Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children" and really enjoyed it. Short book, easy to read, good writing.

"Room" was interesting but kind of depressing.

"Classical Schooling with the Horse in Mind" by Anja Beran was good and full of great photos.

Reading an Enneagram book right now which is really interesting!
    My Mustang Adventures - Mac, my mustang | Annwylid D'Lite - my Cob filly

"A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Default Loved that one!

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I really enjoyed Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman.
    Great book!

The Hunger Games Trilogy I absolutely could not put down. Read them all 3 times already. Everyone I have lent them to has said the same, even my mom, who is an avid and picky reader.

Trouble The Water by Nicole Seitz was excellent. Few books can move me to tears, but this one had me bawling. I lost a close friend to cancer around the same time, and it actually was one of her thousands of books~ there were SO many parallels in it that it gave me goosebumps. Based on a fictional sea island on the SC coast and the Gullah/Geechee culture, it is a fantastic read.

The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory was excellent as well.
    Crayola posse~ orange yellow, official pilot
    Proud owner of "High Flight" & "Shorty"

2 members found this post helpful.

we've got sand and rocks, and rocks and sand...

Well, it's non-fiction (for the person who asked) but I *really* loved "My Lead Dog Was A Lesbian." Funny bio-book about a journalist who decides to run the Iditarod.

The Temeraire series by Naomi Novik is pretty darn awesome too!
    The ninja monkeys are plotting my demise as we speak....

If you like young adult lit, Wonder and The Fault in Our Stars.

I've read a lot of fantastic books this year.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, & The Girl Who Kicked The Hornet's Nest are all quite good. I found it hard to get into the first book, but then couldn't put the other two down. On a whim, I reread the first book after finishing the series and found that I enjoyed it much more the second time.

The Walk series was also well done, although it's not finished yet.

The nerdy part of me loved The Emperor of All Maladies and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and more recently, Spillover (I could read about zoonotic diseases and hemorrhagic fevers all day, I'm a little strange).

Quote Originally Posted by Natalie A View Post
    If you like young adult lit, Wonder and The Fault in Our Stars.
    John Green, why is that author familiar? Ah, he co-wrote Will Grayson, Will Grayson with Levithan. A good book, although not as mind-blowing as some of Levithan's other works for me.

I'm 33 and have been totally FLOORED for perhaps 10 years now at just how GOOD adolescent lit has gotten. It wasn't very good when I was that age. Some amazing, remarkable authors are writing for teens now. David Levithan, MT Anderson, Laurie Halse Anderson, Carol Plum-Ucci...all fabulous writers worth reading, no matter what your age, and some of my favorites, across all genres.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    Spillover (I could read about zoonotic diseases and hemorrhagic fevers all day, I'm a little strange).
    And here I thought I was the only one on the planet that had read this one. Great book. The chapter on ebola gave me nightmares though...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    And here I thought I was the only one on the planet that had read this one. Great book. The chapter on ebola gave me nightmares though...
    I really could read about ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers all day. I stayed up almost all night reading that book because I was so interested. I even have one of those "giant microbe" stuffed toys of ebola - it's currently watching me from where it's hanging from my ceiling.

This is totally normal, right?