The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    The nerdy part of me loved The Emperor of All Maladies and The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks and more recently, Spillover (I could read about zoonotic diseases and hemorrhagic fevers all day, I'm a little strange).
    You would also likely like Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus

(I really enjoyed The Emperor of All Maladies and the Henrietta Lacks book, too!)

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    You would also likely like Rabid: A Cultural History of the World's Most Diabolical Virus

(I really enjoyed The Emperor of All Maladies and the Henrietta Lacks book, too!)
    Oh boy, something I can read while I'm laid up from my knee surgery! You're awesome, thanks!

I really could read about ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers all day. I stayed up almost all night reading that book because I was so interested. I even have one of those "giant microbe" stuffed toys of ebola - it's currently watching me from where it's hanging from my ceiling.

This is totally normal, right?
    Oh yes, totally normal. Lol.

You're planning on vet school, right? You might also look into a Master's of Public Health to go along with that - some schools offer an MPH in Zoonoses.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Oh yes, totally normal. Lol.

You're planning on vet school, right? You might also look into a Master's of Public Health to go along with that - some schools offer an MPH in Zoonoses.
    I'm hoping for vet school, yes! I did apply to some combined programs along those lines (some were MPH, some were PhD), so I hope at least one of them pans out!

I really could read about ebola and other hemorrhagic fevers all day. I stayed up almost all night reading that book because I was so interested. I even have one of those "giant microbe" stuffed toys of ebola - it's currently watching me from where it's hanging from my ceiling.

Um, doesn't everyone have a fascination with this stuff?

*I* think you (we!) are totally normal!

(Oldie but goodie--Guns, Germs and Steel is also one to read, if you haven't already.)

I enjoyed The Fault In Our Stars, but I sort of felt like I was *supposed* to like it more than I did. I'd still count it among the best books I read this year, though. I also read his book "Looking for Alaska" this year, and I thought that one was superb.

My favorite book of the year was the Catherine the Great biography by Robert Massie. I also reread the whole Harry Potter series. Nothing beats the old HP.

It was called "Error of our Ways," or something very close to that. Very, very funny book. Also, "The Tender Bar" was REALLY well-written.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

"Wonder" by RJ Palacio. Hands down the best book I've read this year, if not in several years.

Silly enough, and I don't normally read "vampire/werewolf" books, but I am enjoying Carrie Vaughn's "Kitty the Werewolf" series. Well written, dryly humorous and witty - good paced stories.

I normally read police procedurals when I am not reading science or engineering but I do enjoy these for a break.

In the police procedurals, I really recommend Carola Dunn (Daisy Dalrymple series) and (US based) Donald Harsted - the latter really writes from his own experience. Looks like he only had 5 books in him, but I enjoyed them so much that I have re-read them countless times and have them on Kindle. Probably "enjoyed" isn't the right word but ...
    Still Working_on_it - one day I will get it!

It's non-fiction, but one of my favorite reads this past year was The Warmth of Other Suns, about the migration of African-Americans out of the South in the 20th century. It's similar to reading a big New Yorker article.

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    In light of today's events, anybody have an uplifting or easy read to suggest? I need a break from reality.
    The Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo is uplifting. If you want just pure escapism, Bev Pettersen's romantic mysteries - all revolving around horses - are my secret indulgence (I was an English Lit major and would never admit to reading romances on a horse BB )

I hated Gone Girl.

My favorite book this year? I'm a super fast reader and read on the train where I spend a lot of time, so I think I went through about 75 books this year. I'm not sure when I first read this book, but the most recent truly extraordinary book I read is Siddhartha Mukherjee's The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer. I am not usually interested in medicine and science, but I devoured this book, and my friends who are physicians also loved it.

To those who liked the Keith Richards book and enjoy music autobiographies, do NOT neglect Andrew Loog Oldham (Stones' original manager/producer)'s trilogy, Stoned, 2Stoned, and Stone Free. Get the originals of Stoned and 2Stoned - the Kindle version is combined and watered down. Stone Free, however, only just came out and is only available on Kindle. He writes gorgeously - there are moments when the writing style will make you gasp with admiration or just plain giggle. Cannot recommend these books highly enough. They're great.

In the same vein, Tearing Down The Wall of Sound: The Rise and Fall of Phil Spector by Mick Brown is also a must. Gets uniform 10/10 scores from my music industry peeps as well.
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    In light of today's events, anybody have an uplifting or easy read to suggest? I need a break from reality.
    Stardust by Neil Gaiman. A lovely, lovely fairytale for grownups. Also has a well-done audiobook read by the author, if you're into that. Anything by Robin McKinley, my favorite is Spindle's End. She's sometimes placed in young adult fiction, apparently because adults can't enjoy retold fairy tales.

I loved Gone Girl, and State of Wonder by Ann Patchett.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue

If you're into nonfiction and have not yet read David McCullough's "John Adams", do so. Post-haste. It's the most engrossing non-fiction I've ever read.

If you don't mind YA and are interested in what all this steampunk business is about, Scott Westerfeld's "Leviathan" is a good place to start (however I now have to buy the next two.)

"The Name of the Rose" is brilliant for a mystery and as a historical novel. It's not EASY, but once you get going it's engrossing.

Once again the OT forum comes through. Thanks everyone for sharing your recent favorite reads, I now have some very promising samples lined up in my Kindle queue. I was down to reading some of the Janet Evanovich "Stephanie Plum" series books, because I had run out of anything I wanted to read next (nothing against the Evanovich books, but when you're on your third in a row, you start to hanker for something a little more meaningful).

From my side, I recently read: "Forever: A Novel" by Pete Hamill, which I loved. I also loved "The Casual Vacancy" (as stated earlier in this thread) and Stephen King's "11/22/63". Those are the three that stand out the most to me from the past 4-5 months.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

That reminds me, I really need to read "11/22/63". Though I think I just fictioned out and I'm back on a NF kick...starting "The Price of Admiralty: The Evolution of Naval Warefare".

I just finished Andre Agassi's book autobiography, Open. It was a great read....

I also read The Art of Racing in the Rain, which was EXCELLENT, but very sad.

My most recent favorit is Gone Girl.

I also liked the Patti Smith bio.

The Sleeping Women was good, too.
    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

I have the Mad Cow giant microbe - my cat uses it as a toy. I've also given them as gifts. One year I sent my brother the Chlamydia one. He was NOT amused.

My favorite book so far this year has been The Night Circus.

Also, if you are looking for something free, I highly recommend the Brandon Marlowe series on Smashwords. It's Sci-Fi, but I loved them!

Loved The Dressage Chronicles, hands down the best book this year!!!