The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Actually it rarely rains buckets excepts around Novemenber, it generally is very dry in june/july/august, and mildly drizzle often. (Check out the yearly rainfall, it is not that great.)

Gold Creek does have turn-out (usually half day/no mud in upper paddocks).
    I.D.E.A. yoda

wow thanks for all the info people. I agree on the $$$$$ bit. So any more suggestions on where I can go that saves money and starts off a young horse well?

No to Jill Pierce, just from my experience

Check out Woodinville as well. Also, you really need to consider where you'll be living. A few miles makes about two hours of difference depending on where you live. My average barn commute out here is consistently 1 hour each way, and I've lived 13 miles from the barn and also 25 miles from the barn. Averages 1 hour. Usually longer. Think about that

Edited to Add: I don't know where you're coming from, but if they say they have turnout, that means a small area where you're from (unless you're from urban New York, then it's probably bigger). If there's a large grassy field, it's 95% likely that it's a flood plain, and you'll all be either swimming or evacuating at some point. If they say "No Mud", expect mud to the top of your ankles. If they say "some mud", expect to need hip waders. You will learn to LOVE gravel paddocks, except that most of them use sharp, pointy gravel and require you to shoe your horse so he can live in it.

Also, a fabulous person for young horses is Meredith Clark, she's based out of Donida in Auburn. It's a commute, but so is everything else. The horse care there is also very very good.
    Last edited by Candle; Dec. 20, 2012 at 01:57 AM.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

Stay away from Gold Creek, the owner is loony tunes. Check into Lodestar Training - Jenny Holbrookl. She's based out of Rosebud River Ranch in Sammamish. I don't know what board/training is like, but she's very good and experienced with youngsters. She's riding at Intermediate level at the moment and I've taken a lesson or two from her in the past and she definitely knows her stuff. Jordan is good, she competed at Rolex this year and did quite well for her first time.

Regarding turnout, Meika has some smaller turnout areas ~50 x 50, and huge pastures - no flood plain. All horses get turned out daily for 10-12 hours a day. She also does pasture/field board with shelters. Minimal mud, definitely not ankle deep but I know how it is generally. My place for example - mud city.
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

Lexi Lind, Sarah Lorenz or Jordan Linstedt. They are all great trainers and people. My personal favorites when I go to the West Side (I live 4 hours away) are Hannah Knaebel and Todd Trewin. They don't have their own boarding stables though.

Also, I don't know if Monroe is too far away, but i would definitely consider Polestar Farm and Meika Decher if I were in that area!

Jenny is a great trainer. She was at a place in Snoqualmie actually called Rosebud, but just moved to Tall Firs in Monroe. Lots of people make the drive out there from Seattle, Mercer Island, Issaquah, and the Eastside to ride with her. Board is $550. I have my horse there and he gets great care, pasture turnout, and they will feed a lot and don't charge extra which is nice for my horse. Check out her website http://lodestar-training.com.

I would stay away from Gold Creek, herd some bad things about the place as far as their lesson program which wouldn't matter as much because you probably wouldn't be riding with them, but also the care of the horses is lacking too.

I also ride at Legacy Hunters & Jumpers. Shelly just moved the training program to Dunmire Stables off Avondale in Redmond and is going to be relocating to their new barn in Woodinville. They also have a lesson program at Evergreen Equestrian Center in Kirkland which is taught by Gillian Baird who is also good. I was a working student for Legacy these past months and learned tons.

Meikas barn is pretty far away. I think it takes 45 minutes from Monroe to get there, maybe a little less. We go XC schooling there lots and its pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn trails View Post
    Stay away from Gold Creek, the owner is loony tunes. Check into Lodestar Training - Jenny Holbrookl. She's based out of Rosebud River Ranch in Sammamish. I don't know what board/training is like, but she's very good and experienced with youngsters. She's riding at Intermediate level at the moment and I've taken a lesson or two from her in the past and she definitely knows her stuff. Jordan is good, she competed at Rolex this year and did quite well for her first time.
    Regarding turnout, Meika has some smaller turnout areas ~50 x 50, and huge pastures - no flood plain. All horses get turned out daily for 10-12 hours a day. She also does pasture/field board with shelters. Minimal mud, definitely not ankle deep but I know how it is generally. My place for example - mud city.

Welcome!

I would recommend either Tina Waters or Sarah Lorenz, I have heard good things about both.

I have a friend that trains with Tina and has boarded hers and her daughter's horses at Emerald Glen for 2 or 3 years and are very happy there. They go to a lot of shows and host great clinics. When I visited, both Tina and her assistant very nice and professional in showing me around. I wish I could keep my horse there, but its a little more $$ at $700 a month.

I rode in a clinic with Sarah once and liked her too. I know that Gold Creek doesn't have much turn out though.

Best of luck!

Sarah Lorenz is great with young horses, particularly warmbloods.