The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by NJRider View Post
    Keep seeing ads for this cute Conn. Can't beat $550! http://springfield.craigslist.org/grd/3476225184.html
    I've been following this thread with interest after seeing the above ad. What a cute boy--and close to me too. I realize that "investing" in horses/ponies is a risky business at best, but is it crazy to consider buying a youngster like this to work with and eventually market as a pony hunter or sporthorse? Realize we're talking years here. We have our own place.

I know, I'm nuts...

I cant imagine that cute boy is 550? maybe they meant 5500?

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    I cant imagine that cute boy is 550? maybe they meant 5500?
    The way the market is, he could well be $550. Someone tell me I don't need a baby, will ya?

Here's his daddy. http://www.legacyconnemaras.com/CAMELOT_Main_Page.html
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

Connemara foals usually sell for between 2500 - 5500 - so i cant imagine he is 550 and if he is that he is still for sale? he is decently bred and looks cute.....

City of delusion in the state of total denial

He's freaking adorable and I like his trot. I don't need a baby. I don't need a baby. I don't need a pony baby. I don't need any baby. I wanna pony...

Zipperfoot, go buy that pony, will ya?
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

No missing zero--that price is reduced from $850. I can't imagine why so low unless he's got some problem we don't know about. Still, the Missouri horse market is pretty miserable. The same farm has a nice-looking young broodmare for sale for $3000, also on craigslist.

I need another hoofed mouth to feed like I need another hole in my head, but still...

Wish I knew, but the journey is interesting

The Connie is a lovely breed that is becoming ever more popular. The UK Connemara Pony Society has an upper height limit of 14.2 and it sticks to that and is very much concerned to retain 'type'. Many Irish breeders, responding to the ever growing demand for a horse that is multi-talented and suitable for both adults and children, are breeding them bigger and bigger. A 'purebred' 15.2 is no longer unusual. As they grow, however, they become remarkably more like ..um.. ID, ISH or - good heavens, how ever did that happen? - a warmblood? In other words, they loose the pony characteristics that make them kind, clever, stubborn, good doers, and a real pleasure to be around. The Irish can be a bit cavalier about passports and papers. The best are wonderful. Stroller, the 14.2 Olympic Show Jumping medal winner was half connie. Portasize Just a Jiff, who fell at the end of the Olympic cross country at Greenwich, is half connie and has taken Camilla Speirs from pony club upwards.

I am about an hour away from the $550 colt (I believe there was a divorce, etc hence the prices). Be glad to be an enabler to I won't be tempted!

omgosh someone buy him. It would probably cost more than $550 to ship him to VA, right? My husband would freak out.

My daughter has a TB/Connemara mare that is 15.2 and we absolutely LOVE her! She came to us about 6 months ago, and replaced my daughters other mount that can no longer compete due to a suspensory injury. Our mare is SMART, but as others have said, is stubborn, and things have to be her idea. She does not get along with other riders well, but my daughter and her really gel! They do hunter/jumper and she can JUMP!!! This was my first experience with Connemara's, but I have to say I am impressed!

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater