The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Post Interview Waiting Game

So I'm mostly looking for some diversion from staring at my phone and willing it to ring...

Three-ish months ago, I applied for a job at a university. I'd LOVE to have this job. I had a phone interview, and then last week they flew me out for an on-campus interview. Now I'm home and staring at my phone. I did send a follow up letter, thanking them for everything and reiterating my interest.

So...how long do I get to wait? How long do large universities take to make hiring decisions and offers? How long does it take them to send rejection letters? What are the odds that they'll just drop off the face of the earth, never to be heard from again? She did tell me I should hear within 1 - 2 weeks. It's been 10ish days...

I understand that it hasn't been that long, and that they most assuredly have more important things to do at the moment. I'm just driving myself (and everyone else near me) insane.

Help?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

I'm not sure if a follow-up e-mail or call would be considered pushy? It's hard for me to imagine them giving the job to someone else simply because you called, after ten days, to inquire in an oh-so-polite, I-hate-to-bother-you kind of way, whether a decision had been made.

But I'm also not an HR professional. Anyway, good luck!
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Wait the full two weeks and then add 3-4 days, then call or email and ask. It keeps your name fresh in their minds and they know you are still interested. I just interviewed for a job I'd love to have a couple of weeks ago and I made contact earlier this week to see if a decision has been made and it hadn't, but this company is super slow in the hiring game anyway so no surprises there. Go ahead, get in touch. Good luck!!
    Yogurt - If you're so cultured, how come I never see you at the opera? Steven Colbert

This close to the holidays...I wouldn't get nervous yet. Things just seem to fall to the wayside the closer you get to Christmas.

I would wait until the middle of next week before checking in with HR. It's a good sign that they flew you in for an interview. They don't usually spend money on someone they're not seriously interested in.

2 members found this post helpful.

Bumping because I don't think my pity party went on long enough...

Anyone here think I'll at least see a rejection letter? Or has complete radio silence become standard?
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

If only your potential employer could send you a random thumbs up or down!

:hug:

I hope you hear something positive soon.

1 members found this post helpful.

At this point, Ali, I'd take it!

And thanks, I appreciate it.
    -George Morris

I would hope that anyone that interviews in person gets a response one way or another. We are currently trying to get some things through the miles of red tape that come from being a state university. The hiring process is painfully long even when we have a great candidate. Posting, matrix, interviews, matrix, background check, HR, EEO, (probably more matrix)...

Right now we are racing the clock because beginning tomorrow, most of the university is on skeleton crew until after the first of the year. Hard to say how many postings will get stuck in limbo until the other areas return from the holiday break.

Good luck!