The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need Xmas ideas for 80 year old parents-of-beloved b.f.

Talk about impossible to buy for.
    Dad = 80'ish year old retired Navy admiral. Formerly whip-smart, interesting, normal-fit. Now he's slightly dementia, all-but home-bound, sort of confused (about current things, totally crystal clear about long-ago things), a little ill-tempered, and, well, a former heavy drinker who's been forced to stop due to health problems.
    He doesn't read, really, and doesn't have any particular sports or interests. They have a nice house and little farmette (no animals or boarders/horses) in the pretty horse-ette country of Fairfax Station, Va.
    I'm at a loss what to get him.
    Mom = 80'ish year old Navy wife. Formerly whip-smart Navy wife, interesting, normal-fit. Now slightly dementia, all-but home-bound, sort of confused. Not at all ill-tempered (sweet, really), loves my dogs (I take them sometimes when we go visit.)
    She doesn't read, either, really, and doesn't seem to have any interests, either.
    I got them a window bird feeder and some seed. B.F. got her a pretty Xmas plant/flower.
    Otherwise, I'm totally drawing a blank.
    Not sure if food is the right thing - they have a lady who takes care of them most mornings/cooks/cleans/sets up meds. Not booze - no drinking. Not books - they have thousands plus I see no evidence that they read.
    Ideas?
    I hate that they are sort of seemingly just 'waiting' in that twilight place and I don't know what to do/what to get/how to help.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

How about a beautiful afghan for the chillier days. Or an assortment of teas or coffees. I love tea and always love another tea pot.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Your BF is no help at all? Surely he knows something about his parent's interests at this point in their lives. Maybe interest in something they used to be interested in could be rekindled by an appropriate gift.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

1 members found this post helpful.

Why not food???

Until my mom passed away last month & dad went into a nursing home, they LOVED getting food gifts. Of course I only sent things that just needed reheating; but that still left oodles of great options. "Impromptu Gourmet", "Chesapeake Bay Crabs", Burger's Smokehouse" (I gave them a year's monthly food gift from Burger's that they ADORED two years in a row.) Even a live-in aide could cook these foods since it was basically just reheating.

I couldn't imagine giving my parents yet another throw blanket or afghan. That's almost an "you're old" announcement - lol!

Exotic food is a bad idea. At that age, they probably have a host of food allergies or ailments that could be exacerbated by consuming certain foods.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

What about a basket of goodies. Maybe some crosswords, a puzzle, and a movie or two with their favorite snacks? Do they like pictures? Can you perhaps have your BF do some sleuthing and help you to put together a photo album of their life together?

Creature comforts-my grandparents are nearly exactly as you describe and they get regional treats from their family that are far away. Since we're in MT we send huckleberry chocolates and treats. My grandma loves applets and cotlets so we send those... local honey. Food-it doesn't take up room, they can regift it if they want, they don't already have a ton of it... and it's considerate.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I am going to disagree with Lex-- the OP only mentioned "old age dementia", no other illnesses. Aging is an allergy! My mom loves food, at age 83, but can't eat a lot at any one time. A trip to a restaurant for lunch is a real treat (she's home-bound, too).

OP--go with a food gift, something they might have enjoyed as younger folk. Careful with hard to chew, super crunchy (teeth issues) or super spicy, unless they are used to that.

Do they watch movies? Maybe a selection of DVDs from "their era"? Can you ask them what they'd like to receive? Maybe make a donation in their name and then give them a lovely card and candy? Maybe a trip somewhere with you to sight see for an afternoon?
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Books on cd are popular among elders that I work with. Your BF should probably have an idea of topics they'd like. Military history or historical novels might be a good idea for his dad. I second the idea of afghans or snuggly sweaters. Zip ups are easier to get on/off for the possibly mobility limited. Teas or cocos might be nice too.

I don't think new and different foods are a good plan. Many folks with dementia don't do change well, which I see as a concern with residents at work (I'm a nurse in a long term care facility). Baking up some well loved favorites might be nice too.
    Last edited by Traum; Dec. 17, 2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: clarity

As my next door neighbor got older, instead of getting a gift for her I would decorate her house for Christmas. I would get her a wreath and a little tabletop tree and some Christmas goodies.

Ahhh! Great ideas.
    I said no food just b/c they are sort of the canned-soup types, but maybe a gourmet basket would at least feel good to give if not be a delight (like it would to you/me!)
    No, b.f. is no help at all. He's the 'giving my teen nephews cash' b/c he's not creative enough (a little lazy, if you ask me!) to consider what would interest a teen boy. He's 'mad' at his parents for getting old (my take on it) so he's sort of 'lost' (his take on it) when its coming to getting them holiday gifts.
    I love some of these ideas. Thanks!
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Pfft. Well, I say you talk to the caretaker. They are the only other source of information accessible to you apart from your BF or possibly any other surviving family.

My folks are in their 80's and I give them the Fruit of the Month lite club from Harry and David. They love it because they don't have to shop for fruit, and it comes every month and their quality is excellent.

3 members found this post helpful.

Everyone else beat me to it: Food! Things that are treats, that can be shared with friends or not. Adding DVDs, crossword puzzle books, board games or playing cards or watever little extra you think might appeal to them helps fill out a nice gift basket. I always put something like that together for my in-laws before they passed and they really liked it.

My mother makes it easy - she lets me know exactly what to tell my siblings to get her should they ask. This year's list includes coffee mugs and a new blanket for her bed. She's 82 and I think she'd like an afghan, ezduzit.

Quote Originally Posted by Calvincrowe View Post
    OP--go with a food gift, something they might have enjoyed as younger folk. Careful with hard to chew, super crunchy (teeth issues) or super spicy, unless they are used to that.
    That's what I would probably do. I make currant jelly, and when I gift it to one of my older friends, she always reminisces about a neighbor she had when she was a child who used to share currants with her family.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Music from their youth! Get something the caretaker can play (like an nano or other mp3 player) and load it with music from the 50's. If BF knows if they have a record player see if you can get vinyl records. Very often music will bring them back to that time.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

How about a fresh fruit basket from Harry & Davids?
    How about a small inside dog that is already house-broke & friendly to adults?
    How about a happy inside plant, like a violet or spiderplant, that could set on a living room table?

My folds are 80 and 83, and yes, it is difficult to buy for them also...good luck with whatever you decide.
    J
    ‎"Luck favors the prepared, darling." ~~ Edna Mode

Music from the 30's, 40's and 50's. Maybe an easy to work CD player with several cd's. People with dementia, often have difficulty with recent memory, but old memories are still there. And listing to popular old songs from the era when they were dating/marrying age can bring back some wonderful memories.

Along that line, get some of the old movie favorites..".Picnic", Same Time next yr, Casablanca, John wayne movies, old war movies like "Bridge over the River Quai", etc...

Binoculars to bird watch.../spy on neighbors.

Massaging slippers/chair back massager/electric blanket/large button remote for TV.
    Hillary Clinton - proven liar, cheat, traitor and defender of rapists! Anyone but Hillary 2016! https://www.facebook.com/AntiHillary2016

Quote Originally Posted by Jingo-ace View Post
    How about a small inside dog that is already house-broke & friendly to adults?
    Please, PLEASE do NOT purchase pets as Xmas presents!!! The only time that's an even REMOTELY sensible thing to do is if it's been researched & carefully planned for in advance, & the recipient fully knows about it & wants it. Even then it's advised that the pet not arrive home until after all the holiday hullabaloo is over.

2 members found this post helpful.

Especially for old people. They get and dump pets like crazy.