The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Latest reports are that the shooter is the 20 year old, and the older brother is in custody. Reportedly, the dead at the other house is the mother who was an elementary teacher at the school. He was not buzzed in, but shot or shattered a window and gained entry there. The dead are children from ages 5 to 10, and there are 20 of them. Seven adults are dead including the Principal and the school psychologist. Many surviving children were taken out of their secured classrooms, and hiding places in line, holding hands, and with their eyes shut, to spare them the sight of the slaughter. Only three or so were taken to the hospital. The surviving children were taken to a nearby firehouse, and reunited with their parents, and then the governor or his representative told the remaining parents that the last reunions had occured and all surviving students had left. I can't imagine how the parents of the victims felt at that moment.

Reportedly the older brother said the younger brother (the shooter) had a long history of mental illness. Apparently the two rifles used belonged to the mother. The bodies of all dead will be left in place for forensic analysis, and identification. This is the second most deadly school shooting in the U.S. after Virginia Tech.

The next statement by the State Patrol will be tomorrow morning, and hopefully all dead will be identified by then.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Apparently it is 20 year old Adam Lanza http://gma.yahoo.com/breaking-conn-s...opstories.html who shot his mother at home first and then went to the school. He is reported to have had a history of mental issues.

Paula
    He is total garbage! Quick! Hide him on my trailer (Petstorejunkie).

So tragic and heartbreaking. But I think gun control on an individual level is part of the solution. As the parent of a person who had anger issues, fought a lot, and spent a lot of time in counseling during his school years, we did not have guns around. Kid wanted guns and we said no. I wasn't going to take the risk that his anger might get out of hand and be directed at innocent people. Since the shooter was identified as being mentally unstable, why were guns available to him?

Parents need to take a long hard look at the kids they are raising. If your little darling is an angry, unstable person, limit the violent video games, movies and TV, get the person some professional help, and take steps to insure your own safety. Yes, it hurts to acknowledge the fact that your kid needs help, but don't just let him or her continue down the wrong path. And no, I'm not saying it's the parents' fault. But the parents and family are the closest people to the problem in most cases.

So sad for all, especially this close to Christmas. I think this one is gonna hurt me for a long, long time.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

9 members found this post helpful.

Strongly agree with Arbitrary, and points by MunchingonHay and ComeShine. They cut the interview short just a little with the forensic psychologist IMO, but it was still a good link.

News media fail to exercise good judgement in offering 24/7 coverage of these things. I don't have TV in the home but I do have internet - I don't have to mute the TV or walk out of the room to get away from it but there are any number of little stories I can click on and suck up the horror of it.

I honestly wonder how much of this is a seed of an idea planted by something viewed or read.

Certainly there will always be psychopaths out there - it's a question of percentages.

My heart goes out to the families of those victimized in this attack.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Lots on here that I agree with but I don't have the patience to go back and quote individual posts.

What to do with a suspected psychopath? As someone mentioned in a previous post, if someone is schizophrenic, for example, and on their meds they may be fine. But if they go off their meds then trouble starts. But you can't MAKE someone take their meds so unfortunately it puts society in a wait-and-see position.

I know a person whom I would consider dangerous and a psychopath. I've known him for 20 years and have never liked him - he is a creepy guy who is a liar and who has a huge ego. Earlier in his career he was turned down by multiple law enforcement agencies to become an officer. He since went on to join the Army and spent time in Afghanistan. He now works for the AF and claims that he has the same security clearance as the POTUS. He's talked about how he killed children while overseas. He goes through the motions of "normalcy" but is a very mechanical and cold person.

I would say this person has mental health problems. But who am I? Just someone who has intuition that this is a dangerous person whom I avoid at all costs. All I can do is say he gives me the creeps. Who would I go to to say that this person has potential for violence? Who would listen to me when he's a decorated soldier?
    My Mustang Adventures - my blog!
    Yoga for Equestrians
    "A horse's face always conveys clearly whether it is loved by its owner or simply used." - Anja Beran

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    >>>>>THIS!
    I am a LEO and this I think is the main issue.....No consequences . I am so upset and mad at this point. This man was not crazy...crazy is doing something in the moment..not kill your mom drive 20 min to her school .....open fire on childern ....and the re load!!!! Not crazy!!!!!! evil!!!
    we don't know that he wasn't crazy. Crazy do things in the moment as well, especially when the voices in their head get loud.

No, China had 22 of their kids hurt. 2 badly, I think. No deaths.

For all the "guns don't kill people" talk, it's really freaking hard to single-handedly take out 22 kids with a knife. With some of the automatic weapons people legally have access to in the US? Piece of cake.

7 members found this post helpful.

Has it occurred to y'all that a main cause of this is demography?

That is to say, mental illness and violent consequences from that happen .000X% of the time, per 1,000 people born. Produce more people.... but also allow them weapons that let them kill more people at a pop while they are angry, sad, suicidal, delusional or whatever and more people die. Then invent the interwebz so that every one knows about each and every tragedy that occurs.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

I think a huge problem is the stigma associated with mental health issues. I'm sure everyone remembers the "Eventing on drugs" thread which insinuated that those on medications for mental health might have some sort of unfair advantage over everyone else. We've all seen the bumper sticker (or t-shirt) that says "You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrist's office."
    Well, medication can bring unstable people back to stability; and I don't know about anyone else, but I don't know what I'd do without my psychiatrist. Yet these helpful resources are perceived in a negative light. Any 20-year old who is not feeling quite right inside is probably not going to seek help on their own for fear that it would further alienate him from "normal" society.
    "A horse gallops with his lungs, perseveres with his heart, and wins with his character." - Tesio

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by pony4me View Post
    So tragic and heartbreaking. But I think gun control on an individual level is part of the solution. As the parent of a person who had anger issues, fought a lot, and spent a lot of time in counseling during his school years, we did not have guns around. Kid wanted guns and we said no. I wasn't going to take the risk that his anger might get out of hand and be directed at innocent people. Since the shooter was identified as being mentally unstable, why were guns available to him?

Parents need to take a long hard look at the kids they are raising. If your little darling is an angry, unstable person, limit the violent video games, movies and TV, get the person some professional help, and take steps to insure your own safety. Yes, it hurts to acknowledge the fact that your kid needs help, but don't just let him or her continue down the wrong path. And no, I'm not saying it's the parents' fault. But the parents and family are the closest people to the problem in most cases.

So sad for all, especially this close to Christmas. I think this one is gonna hurt me for a long, long time.
    I agree with this. Anger is a natural emotion but for young people and children it can be unbearable. Learning to accept being angry without being destructive is a life skill that some people need to work hard on.

Also x-box and TV have choices. My son has an x-box but he only plays sports. You have to buy the games. We don't allow violent games just sports.