The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

sigh

I wish I was smart enough to have the answer to this problem.... but, im not.... Im so sad for those beautiful little babies, and all involved

Prayers for strength, and peace to the families, friends and emergency personnel who have to endure

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by hastyreply View Post
    My question is , if he'd already killed his parents, then why go to the school and why kill a classroom of children. What was going on, jealousy of them? Crazy, crazy.
    Unfortunately, we'll never know. You and I think rationally..and could never dream of killing anyone. Crazy people don't see the world as you and I do. We can never understand what we don't know or feel.

What a lousy day and now I fear we'll have some copycats here in the next few weeks before Christmas Break.

One of his Brothers was the body in the other location. CNN was reporting that info earlier.

I had also heard something about his girlfriend was missing...but who knows.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Thank you mods for opening up OT!

Maybe someone mentioned it, but I can't help thinking we are really missing something in terms of disconnected, rageful, powerless-feeling people. It seems like a lot of these guys (seem to be guys) are young, angry, shut off on some core level from others, totally, awfully hopeless about any kind of positive change, how are we missing them? Ic an't imagine the level of disconnectedness that would enable someone to turn a gun on a roomful of children.

2 members found this post helpful.

And yet they always seem to have a girlfriend.

2 members found this post helpful.

I really think the images we see in mainstream television etc are out of control. Nobody needs to watch the level of violence that can be seen on TV any given night.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    One theory is that the kids who grew up with no consequences for their actions are now becoming adults.
    >>>>>THIS!
    I am a LEO and this I think is the main issue.....No consequences . I am so upset and mad at this point. This man was not crazy...crazy is doing something in the moment..not kill your mom drive 20 min to her school .....open fire on childern ....and the re load!!!! Not crazy!!!!!! evil!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

My husband and I grew up in the era of Saturday morning cartoons and "cowboy and Indians" movies. Lots of violence and shoot 'em up BUT we KNEW that it was fake. Just a cartoon. Just a movie. How many times did we say "Oh look, they passed that rock before". We knew it was just make believe. No blood, no guts, no rapes just good guys and bad guys.

I wonder how much influence shows like CSI and others that show really graphic depictions of the result of violence and descriptions of horrific sexual and physical abuse have had in desensitizing our younger generation. It seems to become more and more graphic every season as one show tries to outdo another.

And then there are the reality tv shows which depict people sniping at each other, bullying each other, plotting how to sabatoge each other, glouting over other people's disappointments and failures.

Given the right combination of exposure to the wrong person, I can see how going into any place and shooting people would seem okay...more like a game. I also wonder if they then turn the gun on themselves because the reality of what they have done becomes REAL. Their OMG moment, I'VE KILLED PEOPLE.

Sadly I have no answers either. There probably isn't any one big answer but a lot of little entities that make up the whole. A culture that for some has deadly consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Martini View Post
    I really think the images we see in mainstream television etc are out of control. Nobody needs to watch the level of violence that can be seen on TV any given night.

6 members found this post helpful.

I do think it's mental illness. If you look at history, this happens.

However, I also think it's a form of cultural sickness. In anthropology we studied the phenomenon of people going amok. These were people who would freak out, kill a bunch of people, and then kill themselves. It was a strange thing that happened in that particular culture.

I'm probably not explaining this well, but basically by us having access to news reports, an isolated incident becomes the norm...it's not culturally acceptable but it's a part of our cultural behavior.

Look up the anthropological origins of amok...it will really give you some perspective as to what's going on here.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BabyGreen View Post
    You only have to monitor half the population of crazy people, because crazy women and girls don't mow down classrooms of 5 year olds.
    But they kill their own childs

I'm so sorry for everyone.

1 members found this post helpful.

It happens and we are immediately told "Now is not the time to discuss it. Pray for the victims."

Consequently, it's never discussed and no effort to change is made.

And no, it is not as simple as gun control or bullying. It's society in lack of...... a lot.

7 members found this post helpful.

For anyone interested, Elliot Leyton wrote a book about the phenomenon of rise of the modern mass murderer. Basically, he theorizes that the murderer is making a statement about the group he feels is responsible for his state in life. It is deep, deep rage.

The murderer feels that the 'group' is acting to keep to keep him oppressed and the only option he has is to hurt the group as he feels they have hurt him.

This book was written over 20 years ago and predicted the rise in these crimes. They have been escalating exponentially since the 1960s.

It is not surprising that the horrific crimes are happening more and more frequently. I would argue it's not the increase in violence on TV, but rather the message that people are 'entitled' to so much that is contributing to the desperate rage about not being able to have it all and people's feelings that someone else is to blame.

My heart absolutely breaks for all the families involved in this horrible tragedy.

6 members found this post helpful.

I think the reason those crazy ones can think so big, as in killing many, is because for us today the world is that big.

Same crazy people before would only think of harming a few in a small place.
    Remember Reagan shooter?
    Today there is no "small place" any more, we think globally.
    One feeds the others, that want to be bigger killers yet.

Before, some of that crazy went to becoming a dangerous religious zealot or harmless mystic, today not so much, more interesting to kill a senator or a big shooting in a movie theater or school and go out in a blaze of crazy glory.

The trouble with such crazy individuals, we can't touch them until it is clear they are that disturbed, hard to determine, or after the fact.

SO so sorry for the children and families - shooter's family included. So horrified at the frequency of these mass shootings. Our culture is sick, and all the damn hate that is bandied about so easily doesn't help a bit, it only continues to alienate us from each other.

I think this is likely a very complex problem with a lot of components.

I often wondered about mental illness that showed at the late teens/early twenties, like others here have speculated, and if these people showed signs previously. The guy in Oregon who killed 2 people at the mall this week seemed to exhibit grandiosity, e.g. telling his friends he'd inherited a large sum of money (can be a symptom of bipolar), but then again he could simply have been lying. I read some unsubstantiated account that the shooter in Connecticut, now identified as Adam Lanza (NOT the brother!), was developmentally disabled (how? ASD?).

I am so curious about what studying their brains would reveal, if there is some sort of anomaly, like a less developed prefrontal cortex (I think I read that psychopaths have less developed PFCs?).

The older I get the more I think men have it rough - they don't seem to have the same ability to show feelings/cope emotionally in the same way women do. We often have a pretty good support system built in - and men, not so much. Obviously this is my experience only, I am no mental health professional.

Lastly I have NO DOUBT that the 24/7 so-called "news" cycle contributes to the problem - it glorifies mass murder to susceptible sick people. This is worth a watch; at about 1:43 they interview a forensic psychiatrist about the mass murder phenomenon. Something to think about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=PezlFNTGWv4
    A

Well, one of my (now former) Facebook friends had this explanation for the tragedy: "This isn't a country with guns, this is a country without God". So guns don't kill people, Atheism does.

Personally, I don't think that anyone is to blame but the very sick individual that opened fire in an elementary school. We can all ask why, and I'd love it if there was an answer, but I fear that we can't understand the thought process of someone so obviously...compromised.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

5 members found this post helpful.

interesting clip Arbitrary,

I have to agree with what he says, the media does sensationalize the killer, and of course the internet makes for a very small world. I wonder what would happen if the new broadcasts down played horrible stories and pushed happier ones, what would the outcome would be.

It would take a bit to see the data and the effects of such an experiment.

I for one believe that negative energy produces negative energy and positive energy produces positive energy. Its amazing how quickly the atmosphere can change when one or the other is exposed to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arbitrary View Post
    Last edited by MunchingonHay; Dec. 14, 2012 at 09:15 PM. Reason: spelling

I agree...it is what is on TV, the video shooter games, the horrific movies aimed for the youngsters who are 'that age'. I remember my 6 yo niece telling me that she'd seen all of the 'Halloween' movies (I believe there were 4 at the time). I couldn't watch them...and that was 20 years ago. She turned out alright, sure.

Nowadays the 'shock' movies are pure nightmares, and the 13-and-over crowd just eat them up. You cannot tell me that being exposed to that much violence doesn't wear down the sensitivity to such behaviors.

Grand Theft Auto was one I banned from my kids lives...and how long ago was that?

I think the current generation of 20-somethings have been exposed to stuff on their TVs and Xboxes in their formative years that would have given a grown man PTSD in 1950.

Don't ban guns. Ban violence and sex in our kids' lives! Turn off the TV and XBox!

8 members found this post helpful.

From the clip with Park Dietz, it's not so much that it glorifies the act, in as much as it JUSTIFIES it to the killer. Now they will know how I feel, now they will know how significantly they wronged me. Now, they will listen to me.

With one act, they have the entire world at attention.