The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default It's another 20 something male shooter... what is going wrong here...

Thanks Coth. I'm supposed to be working but I'm in shock & can't lose the lump in my throat.

The pictures of those poor terrified kids leaving the school...

The thought of those parents Christmas shopping for a son or daughter who will never get to open their gifts...

And the discovery it's another young twenties male... Why? What is happening to these young men?

One theory is that the kids who grew up with no consequences for their actions are now becoming adults.
    Rhode Islands are red;
    North Hollands are blue.
    Sorry my thoroughbreds
    Stomped on your roo. Originally Posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' :

20 members found this post helpful.

Well, I think that for starters, we don't have a robust enough method for people getting mentally ill folks help when they need it.

Secondly, I think that people don't realize what being sick can make people capable of.

Thirdly, I feel like we have our thumbs up our butts when it comes to taking mental health issues seriously.

Lovely, wonderful, otherwise awesome people get sick. And we HAVE to step up when we see that instead of trying to nurse them along hoping nothing bad will happen in the meantime.

I want to drag Cloudy in to this because she knows what I went through on a similar vein 4 years ago. I think that there are situations where family and friends have to toss it all out and think about the possibility that their loved one can and will harm themselves or others and act. Then hope that nothing bad happens and their loved one, who may become lost to them as a result, will get well.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

38 members found this post helpful.

CNN and Fox News have the same name for the gunman on their websites. Don't want to put it here JIC it's incorrect, but they do have a name on there now. So sad for the kids - wonder what makes people do the things they do.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

I'm no psychiatrist, but I'm going to put it out there and say the dependancy new generations have on electronics may play a part in some of this. The advent of computer games and smart phones makes it easy for someone to get caught up in an isolated environment which leaves them not gaining the valuable social skills needed to "fit in" or get along with others so to speak.

Not being able to express one's self nor having the proper environment to do so could possibly lead to some very sad feelings of uselessness, frustration, etc.

I could be wrong, but I see with my own nieces and nephews how easy it is to get caught up in Wii or computer games and be oblivious to one's surrondings. In the case of my nieces and nephews, they are growing up in two parent households in a loving and supportive environment where they lack for pretty much nothing, yet it frustrates me to no end when my 8 year old nephew can barely take his eyes off his new Wii game to say hello to me when I come over.

In the old days, we played outside with our friends, invented games to play and had all kinds of interaction with others. It's just to easy today for a kid to lock themselves up in a room with their dark thoughts and play games...

This didn't really come out the way I wanted to communicate it, but I gave it my best shot.

I feel so badly for the families of the victims as well as for the families of the shooters.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    One theory is that the kids who grew up with no consequences for their actions are now becoming adults.
    <- I wish that it weren't smiling.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RacetrackReject View Post
    Is that really what you believe? Some spoiled brat of a 20 year old woke up this morning and said...I'm bored, I think I'll kill some kids?

The more likely scenario is a dangerously depressed 20 year old with no access to mental health services.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

13 members found this post helpful.

Last I'm seeing is that one of the teachers shot was the gunman's mother and then he opened fire on her class of 5 YOs.

Way to blame the actions of a mentally compromised few on an entire generation. As a 20-something myself - bite me.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

14 members found this post helpful.

I think there is so much stigma associated with ANY mental illness that people dont want to talk about it...I know after I had my first child, months after I had my first child I thought I was going crazy and was horrified that I might actually have some sort of depression. People need to feel that they are able to get help without judgement from providers, family, friends, the general public...AND providers need to be better schooled on mental illnesses and how to handle them.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Way to blame the actions of a mentally compromised few on an entire generation. As a 20-something myself - bite me.
    Thank you!!!

8 members found this post helpful.

My best friend in the whole world, someone I still cherish, got terribly ill at one point 4 years ago. I truly believe that had we not acted, she could've been one of these people you're seeing on TV. I won't go into details because I know she is well now and she is a horse person who frequents these boards, but I have to tell you that I loved her dearly and gave up our friendship in hopes of keeping her and others safe. In her mind, I probably ruined HER life. It was life changing for me too. I lost my best two friends in the whole world, my horses were at risk, my life hasn't been the same. But someone had to do it. There need to be more "someones" in the world willing to risk it all to save the rest. When you know someone is off, you DO something damnit. Someone had to know.

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Well, I think that for starters, we don't have a robust enough method for people getting mentally ill folks help when they need it.

Secondly, I think that people don't realize what being sick can make people capable of.

Thirdly, I feel like we have our thumbs up our butts when it comes to taking mental health issues seriously.

Lovely, wonderful, otherwise awesome people get sick. And we HAVE to step up when we see that instead of trying to nurse them along hoping nothing bad will happen in the meantime.

I want to drag Cloudy in to this because she knows what I went through on a similar vein 4 years ago. I think that there are situations where family and friends have to toss it all out and think about the possibility that their loved one can and will harm themselves or others and act. Then hope that nothing bad happens and their loved one, who may become lost to them as a result, will get well.
    Yes, yes, yes and YES.

Its not all about guns. Its about the person holding and firing the gun and WHY someone, who is clearly extremely mentally unstable, has not been identified as such and treated or detained before he/she is ever able to obtain access to a gun.

Sick. Disgusting. Horrendous. Absolutely could have been prevented. These situations need to start being prevented. :-(

I'm so very sorry for everyone involved.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Considering late teens and early 20s is a common time for many mental illnesses to manifest, I am not surprised that often this is the prime age for these times of incidences to occur.

I know as the offspring of a bipolar, schizophrenic father that his issues were slightly noticeable younger, but the full ramifications didn't arise until his early 20s. Many of my family members are also being diagnosed with similar illnesses now that they are in their 20s.

Such an incredible tragedy early this Friday morning.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Last I'm seeing is that one of the teachers shot was the gunman's mother and then he opened fire on her class of 5 YOs.
    There was also apparently a dead body found in his home. It's so beyond my comprehension how someone could go on a deadly shooting rampage but that gunman must have had some serious demons in his head.
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

The (more or less) 20 year old man connection is that that is the typical starting time for overt signs of mental illness. Schizophrenia, bipolar disease,etc usually begin in late adolescence, early adulthood. Mental illness does not have a whole lot to do with upbringing. If you're looking for something to blame, get angry with the lack of adequate science for helping people who are mentally ill.

14 members found this post helpful.

Sorry guys, I didn't mean to blame a whole generation for anything. I firmly believe there are way more good people in the world than bad ones, and that same is true of our 20 something generation!

I just posted this in shock, as I had just learned he was another 20 something male - and all these school shooters seem to be troubled young men in that age range.

My kneejerk reaction was why??? what happens to these guys? is it anything we, as a society, can stop or cure?

Newest report I just heard is he is 24...is father was found dead in his home, his mother dead in the school, and they are holding his younger brother for questioning.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

Quote Originally Posted by starrunner View Post
    Considering late teens and early 20s is a common time for many mental illnesses to manifest, I am not surprised that often this is the prime age for these times of incidences to occur.

I know as the offspring of a bipolar, schizophrenic father that his issues were slightly noticeable younger, but the full ramifications didn't arise until his early 20s. Many of my family members are also being diagnosed with similar illnesses now that they are in their 20s.

Such an incredible tragedy early this Friday morning.
    I have a family member who has been diagnosed as Borderline Personality Disorder among a myriad of other things, and there's nowhere in 'the system' for her to belong. Until/unless she is proven a danger to herself or others, she is just loose on the streets, turning tricks, selling drugs, and acting...crazy. Really, truly, crazy- she could one day be extremely dangerous if she mixes her prescriptions with street drugs and alcohol. We in the US have no mechanism for "these' people until it's too late.

6 members found this post helpful.