The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Modecate (fluphenazine) ....delayed reaction ?

A gelding I am working on was given modecate roughly 10 days ago... and he has not yet had symptoms of a bad reaction. Are the adverse reactions always instant ? The owner would like the horse to stay on it as he hasnt reacted but I dont know if that truly means he wont react later.

Quote Originally Posted by Sellefrancais View Post
    A gelding I am working on was given modecate roughly 10 days ago... and he has not yet had symptoms of a bad reaction. Are the adverse reactions always instant ? The owner would like the horse to stay on it as he hasnt reacted but I dont know if that truly means he wont react later.
    Unfortunately some of the really bad side effects of antipsychotics (like tardive dyskinesia) can happen VERY late after the use of the drug, and are kind of unpredictable. Probably they are also dose-dependent, so I guess if you HAD to use this drug I'd say "use as little as you possibly can for the shortest possible time".

Personally I wouldn't want to use it on any horse of mine unless there was NO viable alternative whatsoever.
    Click here before you buy.

My vets will not prescribe this drug. They do not use it is there practice ever. Personally I would not take the risk. The lower the dose the better. If I needed to take the edge off a horse I would choose ace directly into the mouth. I did that for a long time rehabbing one of my horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Fharoah View Post
    My vets will not prescribe this drug. They do not use it is there practice ever. Personally I would not take the risk. The lower the dose the better. If I needed to take the edge off a horse I would choose ace directly into the mouth. I did that for a long time rehabbing one of my horses.
    The horse was given half a CC ... looking online I am seeing horses getting 2-5 cc's .... so I guess this guy is on the lower side but I am going to ask the owner to refrain from re-injecting at the end of the month and just see how dangerous he is.

your safety is very important. The lower dose the less likely side effects are but the risk is always there.

If you are using fluphenazine to calm the horse acepromazine may be a safer alternative and you can increase the dose as needed.

What is the rationale for medicating this horse?
    I consider fluphenazine to be a last resort drug for a horse on layup who is a danger to himself or others.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.