The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I don't think this site was mentioned:

http://www.justbridles.com/index.php...&parent=1&pg=1
    It wasn't mentioned because I don't believe they do true custom work, they offer mix and match sizes/pieces, which is not the same as ordering a bridle that is custom made especially for one particular horse. Although Just Bridles has a good reputation, from what the OP says it doesn't sound as though it would work for the horse in question.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I don't think this site was mentioned:

http://www.justbridles.com/index.php...&parent=1&pg=1

I mentioned it in post #11 in reference to a place to buy Bobby's by the piece.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I hope you are wrong, I love Edgewood bridles, would hate to see them stop.
    Me too. If that's true then there won't be any large high quality American bridle makers left.

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

Hadfields will be lovely but will take pricy to a new level- I replaced a browband on my bridle as it seemed to be making Harry The Horse an unhappy camper( I wasxtold they run small). It ended up being $79 plus tax. I sucked it up but that seemed a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by littlecreek View Post
    Hadfields will be lovely but will take pricy to a new level- I replaced a browband on my bridle as it seemed to be making Harry The Horse an unhappy camper( I wasxtold they run small). It ended up being $79 plus tax. I sucked it up but that seemed a lot.
    Yes I paid $100 for my custom one from Bevals. And they sized it and inch bigger then I asked for. Sigh but what can you do when you need true custom?
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I hope you are wrong, I love Edgewood bridles, would hate to see them stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I'll be very sorry too... are you sure TR?
    No, I'm not sure what the actual status is, just heard from a client that was at the tack shop who orders my custom bridles for me from edgewood. I am not sure exactly what was said, but the gist of it was that there's real trouble there. So, if you want to buy american and support a business that we've all known for years and years... order an edgewood.

There is a saddle fitter here in NC that made me a bridle with reins and a halter/bridle with reins for my Belgian/QH cross. She does fantastic work and is very reasonably priced. Her name is Shelby Banning. Let me know if you want her email or phone number and I can PM it to you.

I dont have anything intelligent to add. But I do want to comment that Roxie is super cute

I love Just Bridles.

I will say that I have to disagree with the O/S Bobby's tack... Either I got a fluke bridle or my horse has a freak head because my horse can wear Horse in some brands (on bottom holes) but I could barely get the noseband on the OS Bobby's to close. I ended up selling it due to this

I have this Aramas bride for my gelding and LOVE it on him - I think it is fairly similar to the Pessoa. But looking at the measurements it wouldn't fit your horse.

Good luck finding what you need!
    Equestrian At Hart - My Blog - adventures of a big opinionated BWP

Thanks for all the advice, everyone!! And thanks for the props, Ray. Roxie is the best. That's the only reason I am considering spending $$$ on a bridle for Her Majesty.

I did some poking around and found a size chart for Bobby's Bridles and I do not think they will work. I need a 19" browband and their WB is 17". I was going to try to get a cheap one off of eBay just as an experiment but I'll probably refrain from doing so.

Bartville catalog showed up! So now I've got some decisions to make.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

Brief update: I have an Amish-made bridle with brass hardware on its way!
    Bobby's browband didn't work, and the caveson hanger straps (or whatever they are called) are too close together. I swapped the brow out with one of my spares, and i can have the local leather shop move the hanger straps, but it's still a pain to have to have yet another bridle reworked.
    Bought an Extra Oversize from Dover. Browband is WAY too short (like 2" too short) but everything else fits. Crummy leather quality though.
    Edgewood told me they do not do any custom orders.
    In the meantime, I've had occasion to handle a Jerry's Harness bridle and I am pretty impressed with it! I'm looking for tobacco-colored leather though and Jerry's only does havana and black.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

I'm late to this thread, but I have a New Cavalry that I picked up at a tack sale (for $10 - best score ever). It's gorgeous, amazingly soft and cleaned right up easily. It was very flattering on my very large headed WB, and I get a lot of compliments on it.

I have a pair of raised Bobby's reins that have buckles and match it perfectly.

Not the best but here is a photo: picture
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

Two Sticks, your guy is adorable!

Quote Originally Posted by kisstherain View Post
    I've mentioned New Calvary in a few threads now, and I promise I'm not affiliated with them - I'm just a happy customer.

John at New Calvary made me a custom bridle for my small pony who has a very refined head. I wanted some specific things for the bridle, and he didn't disappoint. Everything was done over the phone and the bridle turned out great. I can't remember the exact price...perhaps in the $350 range w/o reins.

edited to add after I read MVP's post: I got my bridle no more than two years ago and the workmanship is great. Very easy process to go through from start to finish. And as an aside, my New Calvary bridle that I bought in 1992 still looks wonderful!
    I got a New Calvary in 2003 (omg...10 years ago...I'm getting old) and its the favorite of my show bridles I've had (I've also had ones from Beval and Edgewood). My father also had two belts from them -- probably 15+ years old -- that he wears all the time and they have held up amazingly! Can't recommend them enough.
    ~*Paige*~

Quote Originally Posted by meboss84 View Post
    Two Sticks, your guy is adorable!
    Thanks! Unfortunately I no longer have him, but he was a very special once in a lifetime horse.
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.

www.sararoxannephotography.com
    www.facebook.com/sararoxannephotography

Great photos, you guys! Sorry you don't have him anymore, Two Sticks- he's adorable!
    see my ribbon quilts at: www.ribbonquilts.com