The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Where can i get a CUSTOM hunter bridle for a draft?

I'm in the market for a draft-size hunter bridle. I would love something like the Rodrigo with the wide nose:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/rodrigo...4wlszwpa5hiwa3

I am waiting on a Bartville catalog and wondering if there is are any other places or suppliers I could be looking at.

And before anyone assures me that such-and-such brand's "Oversize" will surely fit, please allow me to pre-empt you--it won't.

Here's what I am looking for, and unfortunately I am budgeting hundreds of dollars to pay for it because I know I am asking a lot.

I want/need (NEED):

1" wide nose and corresponding wide (3/4", 7/8" or 1") browband
    3/4" cheekpieces
    19"-20" long browband
    32"-35" noseband
    Long throatlatch. Every draft bridle we own is on the last/longest hole.
    Something that makes the bridle visually interesting without being blingy or tacky. I have enough tacky blingy tack already! Slight raising, padding, some sort of fancy stitch, etc.
    Preferably hook stud ends, rather than buckle ends.
    Brass hardware would be a bonus but isn't necessary.

I love that Rodrigo bridle but never in my wildest dreams will that fit a Roxie head.

Thanks in advance for all the COTH wisdom! Which i just typo'ed as COTCH wisdom. I need more coffee.

S
    Last edited by sirensong4; Dec. 14, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: adding to the list of want-needs
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Ride on, ride on. All the bad things are gone.

1 members found this post helpful.

www.equusport.com

I have been happy with my custom tack I bought here. The bridle work quite resembles Jimmy's. It is expensive, very much show ring appropriate.

New Calvary makes custom bridles, also expensive/show quality, very fancy. They have a website. www.newcalvary.com/

Jerry's Harness does custom, might be a little cheaper. I've seen the bridles and they are nice for a reasonable cost. www.jerrysharnessshop.com/
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

I'd go with The Country Saddler. You can get what you want, and it will be very, very pretty.

Caveat emptor with New Cavalry. I haven't seen any new New Cavalry in ages. A long time ago (when New Cavalry was independent because the other partner started Edgewood), the New Calvary guy (John?) was hit-and-miss for workmanship, materials and delivery. Lucassb might have better information.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by hijumpin1 View Post
    New Calvary makes custom bridles, also expensive/show quality, very fancy. They have a website. www.newcalvary.com/
    I've mentioned New Calvary in a few threads now, and I promise I'm not affiliated with them - I'm just a happy customer.

John at New Calvary made me a custom bridle for my small pony who has a very refined head. I wanted some specific things for the bridle, and he didn't disappoint. Everything was done over the phone and the bridle turned out great. I can't remember the exact price...perhaps in the $350 range w/o reins.

edited to add after I read MVP's post: I got my bridle no more than two years ago and the workmanship is great. Very easy process to go through from start to finish. And as an aside, my New Calvary bridle that I bought in 1992 still looks wonderful!
    Last edited by kisstherain; Dec. 15, 2012 at 12:02 AM. Reason: additional info

Quote Originally Posted by kisstherain View Post
    John at New Calvary made me a custom bridle for my small pony who has a very refined head. I wanted some specific things for the bridle, and he didn't disappoint. Everything was done over the phone and the bridle turned out great. I can't remember the exact price...perhaps in the $350 range w/o reins.

edited to add after I read MVP's post: I got my bridle no more than two years ago and the workmanship is great. Very easy process to go through from start to finish. And as an aside, my New Calvary bridle that I bought in 1992 still looks wonderful!
    Actually, I'm very please to hear this good and recent report on NC. The website has always been around, but the guy not so much. It's bait.... but hard to know when one can bite, you know?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

I saw NC bridles last year, brand new. They looked very nice, nicer for example than Edgewood. Perhaps what ever problem they had in the last few years has been resolved.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

Thanks so much for the suggestions! I'm anxious to check them all out.
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Siren,

I'd be interested to hear what works/doesn't work. I have a similar guy I need to go shopping for as well!!!

Actually, Bobby's Tack oversized won't fit oversized horses, but only fits drafts! I had a full draft horse that I used it on, and it was still up on the last holes. I currently have it on a 17H Perch cross, and again it is on the last holes--and the last Perch cross I had it was too big for. I have only been able to use it on big full-sized drafts!

Bobby's "oversized" is monster huge. MONSTER HUGE. So might be working checking out? Especially through a site where you can mix'n'match pieces. Like justbridles.com
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I would wait for the Bartville catalog and check it out. I love my Bartville dressage bridle. It's not fancy but the leather is buttery soft and of high quality. I got the buckle ends and they are thick and sturdy.

I know that you can get either brass or stainless and buckle or hook stud ends. It wasn't cheap but it was very reasonably priced. I'd be surprised if they can't make something for you. Pick out what options you like, get all of your measurements, and give them a call. Leave a message, they only pick up for a short time in the morning but they return calls promptly. I found them a pleasure to work with.

Thanks, all! I will let everyone know what I go with!
    "I is Roxie!" yep.

Arc de Triomphe, Hadfield's, and Bevals, although I wouldn't recommend bevals...
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

I would go with the Legacy bridlework from the Country Saddler. Wayne does an absolutely stellar job and the quality is unmatched.

I haven't dealt with John (NC) in years. Some of his work was brilliant, other stuff was mediocre at best and he is, um, not the easiest to deal with, (or extremely charming, depending on the day.)
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

1 members found this post helpful.

I have had Edgewood make me bridles, while not draft per se, they are ++ sized to order and have held up beautifully to daily use. I've had them make me several 18" to 19" browbands so my oversized bridles would fit the ++ heads I've got in the barn.

I heard something the other day that indicated Edgewood was maybe going out of business, anyone else hear that? I know they were on a 3 day work week the past couple years.

Quote Originally Posted by callmegold View Post
    I was going to mention them as well. Hadfields also does custom strap goods, if money is no object.

Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    I heard something the other day that indicated Edgewood was maybe going out of business, anyone else hear that? I know they were on a 3 day work week the past couple years.
    I hope you are wrong, I love Edgewood bridles, would hate to see them stop.

Quote Originally Posted by BAC View Post
    I hope you are wrong, I love Edgewood bridles, would hate to see them stop.
    I'll be very sorry too... are you sure TR?
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I don't think this site was mentioned:

http://www.justbridles.com/index.php...&parent=1&pg=1