The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 28 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I would be okay with raising the age to buy a gun to 30 - which is the age by which a person is most likely to have committed crimes or been in some sort of mental care facility - but I know that will never ever happen.
    I don't think it will either. But its a fair question to think of what changes could be made. ANd of course, the military might feel differently, given that you can die for your country at 18 (same argument for the drinking issue) but still be denied a constitutinal right. But...its a thought.

What I would NOT like is just coming up with knee-jerk legistation out of emotional devastation.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by RAyers View Post
    There have been plenty of shootings in Montana. Not mass shootings but kid-on-kid. As I noted before, school mass shootings are pretty evenly spread about the US and world.
    Oh very true. But not like what we have seen lately. And if very could be it is totally random and completely dispersed throughout the country. I have no idea because I haven't researched it. But, as I said, I would like to know if there are any protective factors.

I think it should require more than a simple background check to obtain a gun...I also think you should be required to take safety classes, not just on loading, etc but on shooting, shooting under stress, drawing from concealed carry, shooting from close range, etc.

I think you should be required to renew that liscence annually or semi annually by taking more classes.

I also don't see the point in high powered mass capacity weapons for the everyday person.

But, I believe I have a right to own a gun and carry that gun if I pass all of the above. Does that stop an otherwise normal law abiding person from loosing their brain one day....no...but it may stop some reckless person who just "wants a gun" from getting one.

This is more than just a gun control issue, as I've said before.

As a mother of a 1yo who is pregnant eith her second I am heartbroken for these families. May they find some sort of peace.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

6 members found this post helpful.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

For those who think this could have been prevented with stronger gun control laws, CT is said to have some of the toughest GCLs in the country.

CFF

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by CopperFoxFarm View Post
    For those who think this could have been prevented with stronger gun control laws, CT is said to have some of the toughest GCLs in the country.

CFF
    Last I heard there were no metal detectors at the CT borders.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Who remembers about a year or so ago the shooter of kids in some island retreat in Sweden, from all places, the country of supposedly rational, civilized beyond words, a model of wonderful, perfect, beautiful people?

Crazy happens any place, horribly crazy too.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    Windsor, you are so right. While we're here bickering over gun control, 30 families are absolutely shattered with grief, and none of my pontificating on guns does a damn thing.
    Goin' out to ride, and bury my face in my horse's neck and cry.
    Yes me too HH. The reality right now is that there are 30(?) people dead, all innocent, and most are, poor little children, babies. It's awful. Just awful, and my heart aches for them and all of their loved ones involved, the whole world is mourning this tragic loss. Why does this happen?? Why?? I will say a prayer with my family tonight, and god speed to all the victims and families of the victims

3 members found this post helpful.

I'll admit I did not read all the way through, just a few pages. I'll also admit I do not know the answer, but...

Gun control won't necessarily do squat. If a criminal wants a gun, they're going to find a gun. They'll steal it, buy it illegally, do everything within their power to get one. If they want to use that gun, they will.

Gun control laws serve to punish those who are responsible, legal owners. Much like speed limits, drug and alcohol laws, etc., those who will break the rules or laws will do so no matter what. It's not the responsible people who are committing these crimes.

Mental health IS a big issue. Again, it's not the fix (and certainly not any reason to postpone a mass murder trial...unless the criminal can't be in court because he tried to bash his own head in on the wall and floor of his cell), but maybe if people wouldn't be so afraid to seek help, or report others who are exhibiting obvious danger signs some of these incidents could be stopped.

I can't speak to the knife attack in China. There's obvious issues there, too, but I sincerely doubt China will outlaw knives or place strict controls on them.

That's just my take. I don't know the answers, and I certainly don't see any reason for a private civilian to own an AR-15, M-16, or M-4 (except they ARE fun to fire), but placing handguns and hunting rifles/shotguns on the chopping block isn't the fix.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Legitimate question for the gun owners, though--is there ANYTHING, in the way of restrictions on specific types of weapons, or longer waiting periods, or quantities of ammo purchased, or psychological screening of buyers--is there ANY measure you would support or accept that MAY help to prevent a mass shooting (with the understanding that we are never going to prevent them altogether) or limit injuries and fatalities when one occurs?
    No. Period. We've had enough nonsense "reasonable restrictions" on our Second Amendment rights over the last 75 years. All those restrictions do NOTHING but stop law abiding citizens from protecting themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    Squirrel, groundhog, maybe coyote and other varmits.

If anyone finds the assault rifle using the same caliber at their local Wal-Mart, I'll be amazed. And scared.
    The Ar-15 semi automatic rifle is indeed sold at some Walmarts. It's a semi auto chambered typically in .223 although is available in a multitude of other calibers.

I own one, as well as an AK variant in 5.45x39mm and a semi auto in .308. None of them have ever leapt up and killed someone of their own accord, nor have I have ever used one to take the life of another person.

Millions of law abiding citizens own these same weapons and use them for everything from hunting, to target shooting, to competition, to yes, self defense.

Bring on the big red thumbs!!!

15 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LexInVA View Post
    I would be okay with raising the age to buy a gun to 30 - which is the age by which a person is most likely to have committed crimes or been in some sort of mental care facility - but I know that will never ever happen.
    I get what you are saying lex, but I started hunting and providing when I was 14, and have done so every year(i'm 34). But I come from a farming and hunting family, guns are not for play, they are for providing and practical use. There is no happy medium.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    I just thought about the fact that Christmas is ten days away. That so many of these parents will go home tonight to Christmas presents wrapped and under the tree that they had bought for a child who is now gone.
    That was one of my first thoughts, really, after how horrible this tragedy is. The first major holiday after a death is always hard, but these families have Christmas presents wrapped and under the tree or hidden somewhere in the house.. and no child to give them to now. That just breaks my heart beyond words..
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    I'll admit I did not read all the way through, just a few pages. I'll also admit I do not know the answer, but...

Gun control won't necessarily do squat. If a criminal wants a gun, they're going to find a gun. They'll steal it, buy it illegally, do everything within their power to get one. If they want to use that gun, they will.

Gun control laws serve to punish those who are responsible, legal owners. Much like speed limits, drug and alcohol laws, etc., those who will break the rules or laws will do so no matter what. It's not the responsible people who are committing these crimes.

Mental health IS a big issue. Again, it's not the fix (and certainly not any reason to postpone a mass murder trial...unless the criminal can't be in court because he tried to bash his own head in on the wall and floor of his cell), but maybe if people wouldn't be so afraid to seek help, or report others who are exhibiting obvious danger signs some of these incidents could be stopped.

I can't speak to the knife attack in China. There's obvious issues there, too, but I sincerely doubt China will outlaw knives or place strict controls on them.

That's just my take. I don't know the answers, and I certainly don't see any reason for a private civilian to own an AR-15, M-16, or M-4 (except they ARE fun to fire), but placing handguns and hunting rifles/shotguns on the chopping block isn't the fix.
    Why? As I said above, I own 3 semi auto rifles, one of them an AR-15. Never used to kill anyone or anything, likely never will. Why should I be denied my Constitutionally protected right because every now and then some dumbass goes nuts?

"those who would give up liberty for temporary security, deserve neither liberty nor security."
    --Benjamin Franklin

I haven't read this whole thread, so don't know if this has been mentioned, but I will point out that Norway has very strict gun control laws, yet Anders Breivik was able to legally obtain several firearms in Norway, which he used to kill some 70 people and wound another 100+ at a youth camp in July of last year. So yes, it does happen even in countries with strict gun control.

I certainly don't see any reason for a private civilian to own an AR-15, M-16, or M-4
    Well, considering the MILITARY and POLICE use these weapons, it is probably a good thing that so many private citizens own them, too. Might help dissuade the government from getting too uppity.

11 members found this post helpful.

No one had AR 15s until we started getting feral hogs.
    Now, everyone here has them.
    Those are ideal guns for controlling feral hogs.
    Other guns are not as light, accurate and easy to use, you can miss more.
    Why not use the better tool for the job?

If the feral hogs disappeared, many would again not need those guns, others working fine to plink around.

4 members found this post helpful.

You can absolutely buy the rifle used at Wal Mart where I live.

Support the right to arm kindergarteners.
    Riiight.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

2 members found this post helpful.

I guess it appears that I am the only one that has used a weapon to kill another person. Did not like to do it, and the event of some forty-three years ago is still fresh in my mind. I was attached to 2/138th Field Artillery with the 1st Brigade 101st Airborne. An NVA regiment attempted to overrun our position which was a mistake on their part.

But as they were assaulting our position, I could easily remember the over one thousand five hundred bodies we uncovered from the NVA's mass grave of the murdered unarmed civilian population of the old imperial capital of Hue; they had been the teachers, the doctors, the business leaders.

We here as a society have opened the doors of access to everyone whereas in the past people with mental disorders were contained.

All of these mass murders have been insane

FYI: I am 17-years military. I have carried and fired both an M-16 and M-4. I have shot another human being with an M-16. I have fired AR-15's owned by friends, however I see no reason for a private citizen (again, I stress PRIVATE, not military) to own them. They are horrendously fun to fire, especially when set to burst. However, having used two of the three mentioned in situations that I would never wish on anyone, I have no desire to have one in my arsenal.

I will, however, continue to defend my right to keep and bear my numerous rifles and shotguns, as well as my CCW that allows me to conceal my three different types of handguns (at three different calibers...the fourth kind is on loan to a cousin in another state). And you can bet I'd not hesitate or take a half-breath to shoot-to-kill to keep my son safe. Neither would my husband.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Who remembers about a year or so ago the shooter of kids in some island retreat in Sweden, from all places, the country of supposedly rational, civilized beyond words, a model of wonderful, perfect, beautiful people?

Crazy happens any place, horribly crazy too.
    Yes, but crazy seems to happen more frequently here.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

5 members found this post helpful.