The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 25 of 28 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 ... LastLast
Results 481 to 500 of 542
  1. #481
    Join Date
    Aug. 28, 2006
    Posts
    10,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    Thank you for the correction on the interviewer. We disagree on her reaction..the link doesn't work.
    You're welcome, and we certainly do disagree on her reaction. It's not as though she called him an asshat, and him calling the gun cool at this time is, well, strange.

    The link works. I just tried it, without changing it.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #482
    Join Date
    Dec. 17, 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Yet 100% of the world's mass murders by their own gov't for the last 100 years has been in Europe, Asia and the Middle east.
    So youre scared of government? Wow, that's paranoia on a grand scale.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  3. #483
    Join Date
    Oct. 20, 2007
    Location
    Wonderland
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Owning firearms is a Constitutionally-protected right.
    The Constitution is amendable.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  4. #484
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    The Constitution is amendable.
    Of course it is. And trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment WILL result in violence on a huge scale in this country.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  5. #485
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2000
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    14,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Of course it is. And trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment WILL result in violence on a huge scale in this country.
    Amend and repeal are not the same.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  6. #486
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,782

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Of course it is. And trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment WILL result in violence on a huge scale in this country.
    Wow. I'll bet you might be on someone's watch list. You do realize that big gubment monitors online posting, right?
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    3 members found this post helpful.

  7. #487
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2006
    Location
    Somewhere in the Southwest
    Posts
    1,233

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Wow. I'll bet you might be on someone's watch list. You do realize that big gubment monitors online posting, right?
    Good for big government. Have I threatened anyone? Have I threatened to do anything illegal?


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #488
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    again with flawed logic. The purpose of alcohol is not to kill. Its a beverage for Gods sake! It plays an important part the relaxation or entertainment sector of our societies. If used responsibly it can promote social gathering, celebrations etc..

    The only safe use of guns is no use at all. So why have them?
    You keep making my point for me.
    It is obvious that you don't know about guns and don't like guns.
    To you they are only evil and can't see past that.
    Nothing anyone will say will change your mind.
    Millions of others have several uses for their guns and how strange, those are responsible, legal and valid and, well, useful.

    There are some that don't like that alcohol is out there, is not better regulated, people still get drunk and drive drunk, do all kinds of violent things, even killing others.

    That is fine, we can agree to disagree.


    8 members found this post helpful.

  9. #489
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,343

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    You're welcome, and we certainly do disagree on her reaction. It's not as though she called him an asshat, and him calling the gun cool at this time is, well, strange.

    The link works. I just tried it, without changing it.
    When I tried it on my Droid, it took me directly to a fiscal cliff article.

    I don't think you have to call someone names to show your cards. She showed her cards in her tone of absolutely incredulity that anyone could think like that.

    We can disagree, it's fine; it's just opinion. Neither is 'right' by definition.



  10. #490
    Join Date
    Apr. 17, 2002
    Location
    between the barn and the pond
    Posts
    14,343

    Default

    I'll highlight the questions that 'bugged' me as not altogether professional:

    To better understand its appeal to gun owners, we turn to Malcolm Brady. He's a retired assistant director with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms. And he used to carry an AR-15 in the military.

    MALCOLM BRADY: It probably is the best-selling weapon and it's probably because it's a very well-made weapon. They can fashion that weapon to pretty much be whatever you want it. You know, it can come in different colors. It can come with different magazines. It can come with different stocks. And it carries a very popular round that's easy to buy and it's not that expensive. The weapon has a, shall we say, a Rambo effect, just cool to carry.

    BLOCK: You said not that expensive, what would the price range be?

    BRADY: You can get a real knocked down model for probably for around 500. I mean, that is really a scaled-back model. Anything with good sights and good target pooling and magazines and stocks, it's going to run near a thousand dollars or more.

    BLOCK: I have to ask you, Mr. Brady, you're talking about the coolness of a weapon that was just used to mow down 20 children.

    BRADY: When I say cool, it's cool because a lot of dedicated people that are entitled to carry that weapon, and carried it in the military, would like to shoot it. They see it from the aspect of reliving their days in the military. That's when I say cool.

    BLOCK: Do you think, Mr. Brady, that a shooting like we've seen will tarnish the reputation of this weapon, will make gun owners less likely to want to buy it?

    BRADY: I think you'll see a very large increase in the people that want to buy it.

    BLOCK: Really?

    BRADY: And it may be for protection. It may be for the coolness. And it may be for the fact that people will be in fear that the weapon will be put back on a banned level, and they want to obtain it before it is banned again. But I think you will see the popularity of it and the purchase of them increase drastically, in between now and the holidays, near Christmas.

    BLOCK: But let me go back to this notion that in the aftermath of this horrific shooting, where we have seen the faces of these children who were killed by this weapon, how can you say that that will actually increase sales?

    BRADY: Because the people that will be buying them are buying them in the premise that: I can prevent that same thing happening at my house or my business or my location. Well, you know, I don't necessarily agree with it, but that's the perspective. And that's why I say you'll see an increase in the sale of these type weapons between now and the holidays.


    The bolding and red font is my doing. There is a lot of editorializing where there (maybe should be) more plain and direct questioning.

    I don't like that style of questioning, not from any news source.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #491
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    in the last 50 year More than 50% of the worlds incidents of mass murder by guns have occurred in the US, which has only 6% of the worlds population.

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Yet 100% of the world's mass murders by their own gov't for the last 100 years has been in Europe, Asia and the Middle east.

    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    So youre scared of government? Wow, that's paranoia on a grand scale.
    On the contrary ... Because of the second amendment of the US Constitution, I have no fear of mass murder by our gov't. Mass round-ups of people will be resisted. Americans are a funny lot. Given a choice of dying while sitting and dying while resisting, the latter choice is most attractive. Shanksville, PA will attest to that choice.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  12. #492
    Join Date
    Dec. 22, 2000
    Location
    NY
    Posts
    14,976

    Default

    ^ I didn't watch the program, but just from the text, I wouldn't say her questions were unreasonable.

    A reporter can be a human as well as a journalist.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  13. #493
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2007
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    Ok, 1 reason in remote settings.

    However, since its not a protection issue maybe your guns could be locked away at the local police station and you could collect them when you go hunting. That way your crazy relative couldnt steal the gun and shoot you while you sleep before heading to the local preschool.
    A couple weeks ago one of my sheep (which I raise for meat) was catastrophically injured and we had to shoot her. If our guns were at the local police station I would have had to drive 30 minutes to get there, however long it took to explain why I needed the gun and then get it, and then drive 30 minutes (or longer of course if you get stuck behind a tractor or Amish buggy) and then be able to make her suffering stop. I realize you have very very strong feelings about this, but you are very very out of touch with a lot of the world.

    I also don't like to haul horses with out having a gun, no one wants to think about a catastrophic trailer accident but they happen and I would hate for my horse to suffer while I waited for a vet or police officer willing to shoot the horse.

    In order to be calm, capable, and prepared for the variety of reasons you might need to use a gun you need to practice. Shooting is an activity my husband and I can do together, one that we enjoy. Simply because you don't want to own guns or shoot doesn't mean that others shouldn't be allowed to.


    10 members found this post helpful.

  14. #494
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Of course it is. And trying to repeal the 2nd Amendment WILL result in violence on a huge scale in this country.
    Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Amend and repeal are not the same.
    MHM .. if you were trying to mock dressurpferd01's post you've failed.

    The 21st amendment repealed the 18th amendment. The word "repealed" is in the text of the 21st.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  15. #495
    Join Date
    Dec. 17, 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dance_To_Oblivion View Post
    A couple weeks ago one of my sheep (which I raise for meat) was catastrophically injured and we had to shoot her. If our guns were at the local police station I would have had to drive 30 minutes to get there, however long it took to explain why I needed the gun and then get it, and then drive 30 minutes (or longer of course if you get stuck behind a tractor or Amish buggy) and then be able to make her suffering stop. I realize you have very very strong feelings about this, but you are very very out of touch with a lot of the world.

    I also don't like to haul horses with out having a gun, no one wants to think about a catastrophic trailer accident but they happen and I would hate for my horse to suffer while I waited for a vet or police officer willing to shoot the horse.

    In order to be calm, capable, and prepared for the variety of reasons you might need to use a gun you need to practice. Shooting is an activity my husband and I can do together, one that we enjoy. Simply because you don't want to own guns or shoot doesn't mean that others shouldn't be allowed to.
    Ive already conceded farming is a valid reason. However shooting your animal with 100 rounds may be a bit of overkill.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  16. #496
    Join Date
    Dec. 17, 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    On the contrary ... Because of the second amendment of the US Constitution, I have no fear of mass murder by our gov't. Mass round-ups of people will be resisted. Americans are a funny lot. Given a choice of dying while sitting and dying while resisting, the latter choice is most attractive. Shanksville, PA will attest to that choice.
    So countries with strict gun laws should fear their government? The paranoia of people with this view scares me far more, especially since theyre armed.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  17. #497
    Join Date
    Dec. 17, 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    You keep making my point for me.
    It is obvious that you don't know about guns and don't like guns.
    To you they are only evil and can't see past that.
    Nothing anyone will say will change your mind.
    Millions of others have several uses for their guns and how strange, those are responsible, legal and valid and, well, useful.

    There are some that don't like that alcohol is out there, is not better regulated, people still get drunk and drive drunk, do all kinds of violent things, even killing others.

    That is fine, we can agree to disagree.
    Not sure how I'm making your point by demonstrating the things you are comparing to gun, like alcohol and transport, actually have a purpose and value in the community.

    But you've nailed it. I don't like guns, especially those that mutilate innocent people, especially kids. They are made to kill which goes against everything I believe in.

    Now you've claimed guns have several uses. Farming is one, hunting another. Any for the average citizen without a farm? And before you claim for personal safety, other developed countries where citizens have no access to guns are just as safe if not safer than citizens in the US?

    So, any uses for guns?


    3 members found this post helpful.

  18. #498
    Join Date
    Sep. 24, 2004
    Location
    Piedmont Triad, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post
    So countries with strict gun laws should fear their government? The paranoia of people with this view scares me far more, especially since theyre armed.
    Xmas.. you're not American correct ? Do you fear your gov't ? Do you fear armed people in your country? Perhaps you could assuage your fears if you would obtain a firearm and some training in its use.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  19. #499
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2007
    Location
    Crossville, TN
    Posts
    1,138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xmas View Post

    So, any uses for guns?
    Shooting is fun, and personal enjoyment is a use.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  20. #500
    Join Date
    Dec. 17, 2012
    Posts
    39

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    Xmas.. you're not American correct ? Do you fear your gov't ? Do you fear armed people in your country? Perhaps you could assuage your fears if you would obtain a firearm and some training in its use.
    Not American

    Do not fear my government, why would I? Whats the worst theyll do? Make poor decisions and be voted out of office.

    Do not fear armed people in my country because there are very few. Those that have them are police which I trust, armed services which I trust, farmers which have a legitimate reason, gun clubs which are strictly controlled, and organised crime which I have never personally seen in my life and have little to no interest in the average Joe.

    Will I get a gun? Never. I do not plan on killing anyone.


    9 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Counties/States with strict neuter laws?
    By shea'smom in forum The Menagerie
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: Jun. 12, 2012, 05:23 PM
  2. Differences in TBs from different countries
    By Starda01 in forum Racing
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Sep. 7, 2011, 01:11 PM
  3. Vacations - other countries
    By MyGiantPony in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: Apr. 22, 2011, 05:14 PM
  4. How strict is AHS in approving TB mares?
    By flyracing in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Feb. 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
  5. How strict are you about Fescue?
    By DLee in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: Apr. 14, 2010, 11:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •