The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 14 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Then don't own one. Nobody is forcing you.
    I was making a statement in regards to someone suggesting to "arm everyone". That to me sounds like it was suggested to be mandatory. IMO, ridiculous suggestion.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

2 members found this post helpful.

I grew up in a home where there was a loaded handgun in the car's glovebox, in my dad's nighstand, and in his flightbag (he was a pilot, and it used to be legal to carry guns then). My dad took me and my 3 brothers to the gun range when we were about 5 and talked to us about guns, and helped us learn that they were deadly. We grew up knowing that you don't aim a gun at someone unless you intend to kill them, and that you always assume a gun is loaded.

As kids, we wouldn't go into our parent's bedroom without permission/them being in there, and didn't go in the car without a good reason/permission. There was no curiousity about the guns, so we never would have even thought about getting one out. When we had friends over, we wouldn't let them go into our parent's room, and they also respected other people's homes/privacy.

Guns can be safely kept in a home without being a danger to the household. Now if your kids have no respect for other's possessions/privacy/rooms, and haven't been educated about guns, so they are curious about them, then yes, you are putting them in danger. Guns aren't dangerous when around people that are educated about them, and not mentally ill. If you have a mentally ill family member or you've raised a kid with no boundaries, and anger issues, you might not want to have one in your home. But I would think that would be common sense.

My comment about arming teachers, is that they are concealed on their body...not left at school, or in a drawer somewhere.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Arm everyone. Make them learn to use a weapon for self defense. Make it commonplace like it used to be. Someone tried to rob our local convenience store with a loaded gun. SIXTEEN armed citizens were in or around the store. THey didn't shoot him. They didn't have to. He surrendered his gun and was held for the police. That is how it should be.
    How do you reconcile that with the fact that everyone on the trigger side of the gun gets to decide what counts as justifiable shooting? It would all be well and good if we presumed everyone to be rational or to think as we do. But a major theme of the pro-gun types is that they wish to reserve the right to keep their weapons precisely because other people are stupid, selfish, crazy or whathaveyou.

If you want to reserve the right to shoot according to your judgment, then you logically have to grant that to every other armed person as well. It's a bad deal, IMO.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    I was making a statement in regards to someone suggesting to "arm everyone". That to me sounds like it was suggested to be mandatory. IMO, ridiculous suggestion.
    Understood. My apologies (and I agree arming everyone is rather outlandish).
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Melelio View Post
    Just my quick opinion based on general knowledge, but I believe if you made a list of those 'special' countries with gun control that are 'idyllic', then you may also find that they also provide socialized health care, better working conditions, socialized education, and generally more respect toward their citizens, regardless of tax burden, than our country does.

When a person feels respected as a fellow human, I'd wager the 'mental illnesses' would become quite a bit lessened, not to mention that the hope level in each individual for a good life, is raised significantly.

All this leading to greater happiness for all, less reason to show rage.

It's not about guns....
    In a very large part I agree with you. The USA has a LOT of guns http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datab...hip-world-list
    And you can't equate the drive by drug shooting with the shootings in Columbine, Aurora and CT. It's got to be a multipronged approach and social issues have to be a large part of the solution
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Does this happen?
    Yes - It is usually the government doing the true mass murders once the populace is disarmed.

The armenian genocide, Stalinist Russia, Nazi Germany, Cambodia under Pol Pot, Uganda, Ruwanda...

The second amendment is there for a reason.
    Last edited by 5; Dec. 15, 2012 at 03:19 PM.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 5 View Post
    Yes - It is usually the government doing the true mass murders once the populace is disarmed.

The armenian genocide, Stalinist Russia, Nazi Germany, Cambodia under Pol Pot...

The second amendment is there for a reason.
    Some Cambodian kid shot up a school?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Wikipedia(sorry, but it's so easy and I'm being lazy):
    Finns have the fourth most firearms in the world per capita (right after United States, Yemen, Switzerland) totalling 1.62 million registered privately owned firearms and 10,000–20,000 unregistered firearms. Who knew?
    And in the US gun deaths used for suicide per 100,000 is 5.75, for homicides 2.98.

1 members found this post helpful.

Some Cambodian kid shot up a school?

No the guy in China (not Cambodia) cut up 20 schoolchildren with a knife not a gun ( Gun control would not have made a difference).

What was it yesterday? 2 Mass muders of schoolchildren on the same day half a world apart.
    The Denver Broncos went to visit an orphanage. "It's so sad looking into their faces so devoid of hope." Sara aged 6

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Agree Cowboy mom!!! Me too! I will say though that culturally, at least where I am, firearms are very much the norm-everyone's kids go to hunter safety together, we all chat hunting, go target shooting and so forth, probably like some go to play basketball. I know its different elsewhere, in urban areas perhaps, but it is hard for those (people I know back east, for example) to appreciate. Many of my clients come in from hunting-my colleague (psychologist also) and I have Montana hunting regs as the main reading material in our waiting room!!
    Anti gun people don't want to see the millions of citizens that own and use responsibly guns of all kinds for all legal pursuits.

Let someone commit a crime with a gun, like this rare crazy fellow shooting a bunch of innocent people as he did and all those against guns jump on their ban guns politics, see how horrible guns are.

13 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenike View Post
    Mental health is an important subject to me. There is a history of paranoid schizophrenia in my family (now known and understood as bi-polar disease...same as Zelda Fitzgerald. Misunderstood diagnosis were rampant in that timeframe). Had the help been there versus asylums that just tranquilized and restrained, maybe things would have been different. Treatment is better now, but the availability and cost aren't. Not to mention the stigma.

Bipolar disorder and paranoid schizophrenia are not the same thing.

Here is more, they say "personality disorder":

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/1...n_2306736.html

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Death by firearm per 100,000 people
    USA 9.0
    UK 0.22
    Germany `1.1
    Ireland 1.03

We're ahead of Paraguay and Uruguay and Zimbabwey

WHY????
    Population of the U.S. (with a conservative estimate of 300 gun control laws on the books) - 311, 591,917

Population of Germany (private gun ownership severely restricted if not outlawed) - 81,726,000

Population of the UK (private gun ownership outlawed) - 62,641,000

Population of Ireland (private gun ownership outlawed) - 4,487,000

So, given that the U.S. is more than three times as populated as any other country listed, and that two of the three countries have firearms OUTLAWED COMPLETELY, I don't think those statistics are that bad.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Oh sorry, that one took me a minute! My comments were based on personal experience, actually. Suicide for anhone who has been through or around it is so awful, but, as I said, those who truly are inclined will do it, no matter what is at hand.
    Apparently not, since the "success" of the most common suicide technique is low.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Anything out of Mother Jones has a terrible bias to it.

School teachers in Israel seem to manage to protect their students from Muslim terrorists (while not shooting students due to annoyances).

I would say that it is factual, not an opinion, that almost 3/4s of mass killings were done with guns obtained legally.

Furthermore, forgive me for not wanting my school to feel like it is operating in a war zone. And I am not talking about shooting students due to annoyances... I am actually incredibly offended by that. What kind of teachers did you have if you think that's what I meant?

As I said, the possibility of error is too large, and our students lives are too great a stake.
    Last edited by starhorse; Dec. 15, 2012 at 02:52 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by horsefaerie View Post
    Arm everyone. Make them learn to use a weapon for self defense. Make it commonplace like it used to be. Someone tried to rob our local convenience store with a loaded gun. SIXTEEN armed citizens were in or around the store. THey didn't shoot him. They didn't have to. He surrendered his gun and was held for the police. That is how it should be.

Wanting the government to save you puts the government in the position to KILL you. I will never support that. You never know who you are electing to office.
    Abso-fruitbatting-lutely.

And it works just fine in Switzerland - check it out:

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2911777/posts

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by starhorse View Post
    I would say that it is factual, not an opinion, that almost 3/4s of mass killings were done with guns obtained legally.
    Just because you "would say" it, doesn't make it factual.

Furthermore, forgive me for not wanting my school to feel like it is operating in a war zone.
    And that, my friend, is your problem. This world has always been a war zone.
    And when this country was new and everyone was armed and everyone knew it, they didn't waste shot on things that didn't impact survival. Now, we don't have to hunt our food down or protect our homesteads from predators (well, we do, but all the predators are two-legged these days ). Now, we have shiftless indigents who have nothing better to do than impregnate each other and stir up trouble. And play "gangsta" by shooting the place up.

Arm the teachers. Educate everyone above age ten about firearms, and take the mystery and "cool factor" away. Allow open carry in every state in the union, and watch the gun-related mortality rates drop.

As I said, the possibility of error is too large, and our students lives are too great a stake.
    No - yesterday's events proved that not arming teachers creates the "possibility of error". If teachers had been packing, that young man would have been history and some of those killed yesterday would be alive today.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by grayarabpony View Post
    Bipolar disorder and paranoid schizophrenia are not the same thing.
    I know that. But in the first half of the 20th century they were considered one-and-the-same. It wasn't until the latter half that bi-polar received a name and the two were deemed completely different and separate diseases.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Thailand is not generally considered a warzone (though there is civil unrest in parts of the country), yet their teachers are also armed.

In Wyoming you can get a concealed weapon permit for like $30. Pretty much everybody carries a weapon for hunting or otherwise. Guess what their crime rate is.