The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Yes, but crazy seems to happen more frequently here.
    Not really, we just have so many more people, a few seems like "many".

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Other guns are not as light, accurate and easy to use, you can miss more.
    Those are also great reasons for a would-be mass murderer to obtain an AR-15 and not a more cumbersome weapon.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Those are also great reasons for a would-be mass murderer to obtain an AR-15 and not a more cumbersome weapon.
    Yes, or make some bombs out of fertilizer, but no one is banning fertilizer.

Those guns sold to the public are semi automatic, like other hunting guns, not like in the military, set to shoot so much more.

7 members found this post helpful.

Yes, or make some bombs out of fertilizer, but no one is banning fertilizer..

Exactly. I heard that this 20 year old stole his mother's legally purchased guns to do this. So, gun control laws would have done nothing. he STOLE them.

I agree about a news black out of some kind, and even though I fall in to it, I wish there was no talk of policy while emotions are running so high. Twenty five year olds were shot. I still can't fathon that. Just......wow.

1 members found this post helpful.

I can only speak for Canada - it has happened here and we have very strict gun laws, but it does not happen very frequently. I can think of only 2 mass shootings - in 1989 it was at the Ecole Polytechnique College in Quebec where a man went nuts on a bunch of women because he hated women and hated feminism. He went to a classroom, separated the women from the men and shot 9 of them, killing 6. He then went through the halls and shot 15 or so women and a few men. He ended up killing 14 women and 4 men (it turned out that these men were trying to protect women which enraged the gunman further) before killing himself. In 1992, Concordia University in Quebec, a teacher killed 4 colleagues and another staff member.

Handguns are severely restricted. You are investigated to the wazzooo if you apply to get one. Long guns also have an application process. You have to take and pass a firearms test before you can own a gun. Of course, like in every country, guns can be obtained illegally.

I work for Alberta Health Services, - a province-wide healthcare system. Our policy for every person who may even be so much as suspected to be depressed or have a mental disorder, the question is asked if they have access to any weapons. All this information is forwarded to the police who go to the home and confiscate everything, knives included, whether legally obtained or not. It's just our way of attempting to try to prevent a tense situation from boiling over into something much worse. AHS has set up significant resources -Help lines for kids and crisis centers for adults, and other resources in an effort to help those who are in emotional distress. Prevention is the only way to go. It is, however, only as effective as the willingness to make use of the resources, and as good as the training is on the staffing within those resources. It takes up a lot of money to run those resources, but it is viewed as a good use of funds. It's not perfect, and doesn't always prevent suicides, or murder-suicides, but it's better than not having anything in place at all. These resources are free to citizens as it is paid for with our healthcare system.

I think a key thing to consider once there has been some time to grieve and sort things out is there needs to be a change in how we as a general world-wide society view mental illness issues - whether that be depression, all the way up to schizophrenia and beyond. It is an illness that we need to lift barriers in our society so that people can get into treatment or figure out ways to help people learn different coping skills, because firing a gun at someone isn't going to help your depression get any better. The shroud of shame that surrounds mental illness needs to be lifted. There needs to be better support for individuals suffering. Please note, I'm not trying to sound snooty - I have very deep family ties to the USA. Americans are my family and always will be. Perhaps at a later time, after there has been time to grieve, a renewed and balanced political discussion can take place within the USA about possible solutions. At the moment, it is too much. Questions needs to be asked and answered of why and how, before one can even begin to find possible solutions, if any.

FWIW I'm not sure what happened in Conneticut was due entirely to a mental illness. I'm pretty convinced he was a sociopath with a compounding mental disorder and something happened to make him snap. Not all sociopaths commit crimes or violence, but those that do leave a swath of destruction difficult for the rest of us to comprehend. Right now the grief is far too fresh to even begin to figure this all out. The police will have their task force's hands full trying to figure out everything that finally unhinged this guy.

From my perspective, I can't even begin to voice the depth of what I feel with regards to condolances and grief for the individuals who are facing this trauma. There are just not adequate words to express. All I can say is that my family from Canada sends our prayers and condolances to the families in Conneticut and you are in the forefront of our thoughts and minds today. God Bless.
    Last edited by rodawn; Dec. 14, 2012 at 09:05 PM.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

10 members found this post helpful.

Wasn't there two mass shootings in Toronto earlier this year...or maybe last year? One in a mall, one at a cook out?
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

Surely you see the difference between an AR-15 and fertilizer. Come on.

I would not deny YOU the right to own an AR-15, but the fact it is YOUR tool of choice for shooting wild hogs doesn't mean it should be made available to the masses. That's my point.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    I agree about a news black out of some kind,
    For how long is the public supposed to be kept in the dark about an event of this magnitude? Positively Orwellian. No way.

6 members found this post helpful.

My $0.02 based on personal experience:
    I happened to be in the Brixton area of London the night of the Brixton riots last summer (summer of '11). I had been at a concert and was at the afterparty in a pub a block or 2 away when it started. I was helping at the door stamping people's hands as they paid, and suddenly a lady who worked there ran up and shut the big metal screen across the front and said no one else was allowed in. When she said there was rioting outside I had a minute or 2 of panic, and then remembered where I was....

I know that there are guns in the UK. But there aren't many, and compared to the number of guns in the US there are basically none. I knew that I could be hurt if we had to leave before it was over but there was very little chance that I would be shot. The rioters would have to get fairly close in order to hurt me. Don't get me wrong, I was still nervous but I breathed a huge sigh of relief when I realized that I probably wouldn't be shot walking to the car that night.

This is a feeling I think you have to experience in order to understand. I have to literally move piles of guns off my exercise bike in order to ride it b/c I'm married to a gun nut. I never really thought much one way or the other about gun control b/c I know that the guns don't kill people. But in the words of Eddie Izzard... the gun helps.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    Does this happen?
    It actually does. (well I don't know about their gun control laws...but)

I think there is something wrong today.A bad news from China.

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    For how long is the public supposed to be kept in the dark about an event of this magnitude? Positively Orwellian. No way.
    Well yeah, but it just seems with so much misinformation at first, might be nice to just give a day or two to grieve.

Those guns sold to the public are semi automatic, like other hunting guns, not like in the military, set to shoot so much more.
    you mean like in 1927... The New York Times, May 19, 1927

MANIAC BLOWS UP SCHOOL, KILLS 42, MOSTLY CHILDREN; HAD PROTESTED HIGH TAXES

33 PUPILS AMONG VICTIMS
    http://freepages.history.rootsweb.an...rle/nyt519.txt

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Death by firearm per 100,000 people
    USA 9.0
    UK 0.22
    Germany `1.1
    Ireland 1.03

We're ahead of Paraguay and Uruguay and Zimbabwey

WHY????
    Easy...Blacks. Take away the crimes/shootings/murders committed by blacks in the USA and our crime statistics are better than Canada.

Yes, white males are more common mass murderers, but, more murders are committed by Blacks in Chicago over a bad weekend than years of dramatic attacks by psychos. Check out the Uniform Crime Statistics for actual data.
    "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Trakehner View Post
    Easy...Blacks. Take away the crimes/shootings/murders committed by blacks in the USA and our crime statistics are better than Canada.

Yes, white males are more common mass murderers, but, more murders are committed by Blacks in Chicago over a bad weekend than years of dramatic attacks by psychos. Check out the Uniform Crime Statistics for actual data.
    Wow. Quoted for posterity. This should make life interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by dressurpferd01 View Post
    Wow. Quoted for posterity. This should make life interesting.
    *passes popcorn*
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    There were 22 children and 1 adult stabbed in a school in China today. Guns are not necessary to commit acts of violence.
    True. But none of those people in China died, as of the last news I heard. Those children will have the chance to recover, unlike the children in Connecticut.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

*orders pizza*
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I think the more appropriate statistic to look at is GANGS and role that plays in various neighborhoods.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    Exactly. I heard that this 20 year old stole his mother's legally purchased guns to do this. So, gun control laws would have done nothing. he STOLE them.

I agree about a news black out of some kind, and even though I fall in to it, I wish there was no talk of policy while emotions are running so high. Twenty five year olds were shot. I still can't fathon that. Just......wow.
    Yeah but if his mom hadn't bought the guns either, if they hadn't been in the house at all, he wouldn't have been able to steal them. And were they hers? Did she buy them for him?

As my husband said, this IS the time to talk about it.... 20 five year olds were shot... when are we supposed to talk about it? And put some kind of end to it? He relayed to me that he read something today about the Shoe Bomber. How that happened *once* and going forward every person has had to take off their shoes to get on an airplane. We have school shootings and shootings in malls and movie theaters over and over, and nothing changes to prevent it.

It DOES go beyond gun control, it is a social problem. I have no problem with responsible people owning hunting rifles or hand guns. But things need to be MUCH tighter, and frankly I just don't know who needs a semi-automatic weapon and for what....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

9 members found this post helpful.

LOL I was just waiting for a comment like this to be made. You gotta be kidding me. What you are referencing in Chicago, that is a SOCIOECONOMIC problem, not a race problem.

Wow.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

7 members found this post helpful.