The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

So, we cry for ban guns and ban reporting of news?

That will help so much when crazy people decide to kill wholesale.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    If we keep focusing on the guns, we will continue missing the point that apparently a great number of our fellow citizens are very angry and disconnected. If not guns, they will use something else-gas? bombs? And we NEED to figure out what is up with them.

As far as "gun control" the criminals with whom I have worked over the years have had NO trouble, AT ALL getting guns anytime they needed one. ITS AGAINST THE LAW TO CARRY A GUN ON SCHOOL PROPERTY and that stop this gentlman? of course not. The only people unable to get firearms then would be law abiding responsible people.

And as far as mental health screenings, I think a person's past BEHAVIOR is a great indicator of what they will do in the future, so felonies, domestic violence, could (and is) should be used. But screening by diagnosis? No. I know of no mental health provider who would a) sign on the line that they believe an individual would NEVER hurt someone, and b) I would never want to limit say, a woman's right to carry a firearms if she meets criteria for PTSD. Nor would I want a vet to avoid coming in for help because he fears a diagnosis would take his guns away.

But meanwhile, to those families.... I can't imagine. I just cannot imagine it.
    First of all, for the most part, these people have no criminal behavior in their past. The commonality seems to be severe depression with a perception that everything bad that happens to them is someone else's fault. They also tend to be loners. That could be a lot of people in our country.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post

I agree with relocatedTXjumper that more strict regulations should be put in place, to weed out the former.

I also think that classes should be required for those that own guns so that the responsibility and reactions can be drilled into them as my father/grandfather/DH have drilled into me. I bet that would get rid of a lot of the people who walk around waving their firearms like a toy.
    So you are saying we needed tighter gun control laws?
    From now on, ponyfixer, i'll include foot note references.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FlashGordon View Post
    Crackerdog, there is a disparity in population... England could fit in NYS and I do agree with you on that.

However people over there just don't have access to guns like we do here. I guess politically and culturally things are just a whole lot different there. My in-laws were appalled that you could walk into Walmart and buy a gun. Hubby has lived here 12 years and still does a double take when he sees a cop walking around with a gun in his holster.
    Yes, I agree with you, it's just that sometimes it's easy to forget how big our country is. I also wanted to say that I think guns belong in gun stores and not in Wal-Marts. Maybe that should be part of the solution.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    Windsor, you are so right. While we're here bickering over gun control, 30 families are absolutely shattered with grief, and none of my pontificating on guns does a damn thing.
    Goin' out to ride, and bury my face in my horse's neck and cry.
    Thank you HH, but I didn't mean my post in any kind of a scolding or "stop arguing" way. Heck, I've done my share of arguing here. The gun debate is worth having, though, as ever, I doubt many minds will be changed. The thing about the Christmas presents just popped into my head. I mean as tragic as it is to lose a child at any time of year, to lose one right before Christmas is just . . . Some of those parents might've planned to take their child to see Santa this weekend. It really is just BEYOND awful.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Guns don't kill people.

People kill people.

9 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pony Fixer View Post
    So you are saying we needed tighter gun control laws?
    Yes. I never said that we didn't. I just said that despite whatever law we put in effect, those who are determined to do harm, will. I also said that I will use my firearm in the manner that I have been trained to use it. As a weapon of self-defense.

I would happily adhere to tighter laws, because I don't take gun ownership as a joke and would like to see more with the proper training. It would weed out those who own a gun because they think it's 'cool'.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

6 members found this post helpful.

and everyone thanked God when the mall shooter's gun jammed....

Well, hubby (left leaning) and I (right leaning) are now at odds about gun control today. Again.

I still would feel better with one in my hand. He thinks it's a bad thing.

Should be an interesting night.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Savage-AXI...Rifle/17656098

.223 is the caliber of the bullet. It can be chambered in a variety of rifles, I'm learning.
    Squirrel, groundhog, maybe coyote and other varmits.

If anyone finds the assault rifle using the same caliber at their local Wal-Mart, I'll be amazed. And scared.
    ---------------------------

double post, sorry!

Quote Originally Posted by volvo_240 View Post
    I feel the same way about guns and their misuse as I feel about illeagle drugs and their abuse - it's a SYMPTOM of a greater problem, not the cause.
    Totally agree.

We need to understand why we under value not only our lives, but the lives of others.
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    Well, hubby (left leaning) and I (right leaning) are now at odds about gun control today. Again.

I still would feel better with one in my hand. He thinks it's a bad thing.

Should be an interesting night.
    Is it really either/or? I don't think so. I don't advocate the confiscation of guns altogether.

Legitimate question for the gun owners, though--is there ANYTHING, in the way of restrictions on specific types of weapons, or longer waiting periods, or quantities of ammo purchased, or psychological screening of buyers--is there ANY measure you would support or accept that MAY help to prevent a mass shooting (with the understanding that we are never going to prevent them altogether) or limit injuries and fatalities when one occurs?
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    First of all, for the most part, these people have no criminal behavior in their past. The commonality seems to be severe depression with a perception that everything bad that happens to them is someone else's fault. They also tend to be loners. That could be a lot of people in our country.
    Right. So I am not in favor of restricting the rights of law abiding people who might meet criteria for mild depression. Or who are loners. There is no good measure (yet) that has outstanding predictive validity to determine exactly who is likely to shoot a roomful of children and who is not. But maybe someone will develop one. And again, most mental health folk are not going to take on the liability of saying who will and who won't.

I think it's either or to most.

I've already posted a few times today about my thoughts on restrictions. I think there should be stringent specs on who gets them. I've posted about my friend, the situation, etc. I believe in restrictions.

I ALSO believe that I have a right to have a gun if I pass those tests. (I don't have one now though because the FS won't let me ship them so they're back home.. And I have already regretted it and felt unsafe here home alone.)

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Well, if it's any consolation, you are within spitting distance of the district Police and Fire station. I don't know if you knew that or not.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by Windsor1 View Post
    Is it really either/or? I don't think so. I don't advocate the confiscation of guns altogether.

Legitimate question for the gun owners, though--is there ANYTHING, in the way of restrictions on specific types of weapons, or longer waiting periods, or quantities of ammo purchased, or psychological screening of buyers--is there ANY measure you would support or accept that MAY help to prevent a mass shooting (with the understanding that we are never going to prevent them altogether) or limit injuries and fatalities when one occurs?
    THis is an excellent question. I have considered things like raising the age at which point someone could legally buy a fire arm as these folks seem to be between 20-30? Also looking at WHERE these are happening, are they truly random, why don't we see more, for example, here in Montana, or other places that have plenty of guns, poverty, angry people, and so forth? I see troubled teens and young folk who do NOT shoot people (but have plenty of issues) and would like to know what the protective factors are.

Here's Kelly Oxfords blog on Canada gun laws.

Blog is NSFW (language).

http://kellyoxford.tumblr.com/post/2...ational-things
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

I would be okay with raising the age to buy a gun to 30 - which is the age by which a person is most likely to have committed crimes or been in some sort of mental care facility - but I know that will never ever happen.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by lilitiger2 View Post
    THis is an excellent question. I have considered things like raising the age at which point someone could legally buy a fire arm as these folks seem to be between 20-30? Also looking at WHERE these are happening, are they truly random, why don't we see more, for example, here in Montana, or other places that have plenty of guns, poverty, angry people, and so forth? I see troubled teens and young folk who do NOT shoot people (but have plenty of issues) and would like to know what the protective factors are.
    There have been plenty of shootings in Montana. Not mass shootings but kid-on-kid. As I noted before, school mass shootings are pretty evenly spread about the US and world.