The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

A recap of the mass shootings in the U.S. over the past year. Yes, let's just do nothing.

http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/arc...-a-us-timeline

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Ill agree with parts of this. I have a co-worker who LOVES to brag about her carry permit and her gun...she has NEVER shot it. She thinks it makes her safe, when I think it makes her a danger to others simply becasue she doesnt know how to handle the weapon AND she THINKS it makes her safe!!

It should be far harder to get a concealed permit than it is...and I think thats state regulated? That wont help with the people doing acts of violence like what happened today, but, it will help in the sense that the people who have permits are not just adding to the fray.

As Superminiomn said, when I am armed I am fully aware of my weapon. Its not a toy or a purse. If I pull it, its becasue I intend to use it...and if I use it, that person will not be limping home. A reponsible gun owner takes classes, trains, and practices, even if their state doesnt require it...you have to know how to use your weapon under stress and be willing to do so.

Just because I am not a military member, does not mean that I can't be confident with my firearm. I,too, despise the people who make it known in every single conversation that they carry a gun. You can tell the people who are ready to use it, and those who buy one because they are watching to much NCIS.

I agree with relocatedTXjumper that more strict regulations should be put in place, to weed out the former.

I also think that classes should be required for those that own guns so that the responsibility and reactions can be drilled into them as my father/grandfather/DH have drilled into me. I bet that would get rid of a lot of the people who walk around waving their firearms like a toy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I don't know how it could be done but what might help is if these killers received less fame.

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Why not just ban video games and movies?
    Restrict them, as a start.

[Updated at 4:07 p.m. ET] Mark Kelly, who's lived through this kind of horror, has issued a statement. He's the husband of former Congresswoman Gabby Giffords who was shot in the head at a massacre in Tucson, Arizona, in January 2011. Here's what he said:

I just woke up in my hotel room in Beijing, China, to learn that another mass shooting has taken place - this time at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Connecticut. My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the victims and the entire community of Newtown, CT. I just spoke to Gabby, and she sends her prayers from Tucson.

As we mourn, we must sound a call for our leaders to stand up and do what is right. This time our response must consist of more than regret, sorrow, and condolence. The children of Sandy Hook Elementary School and all victims of gun violence deserve leaders who have the courage to participate in a meaningful discussion about our gun laws - and how they can be reformed and better enforced to prevent gun violence and death in America. This can no longer wait.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I agree 200%. I made a very similar argument earlier this fall in the thread about politicians' (abysmal) views on rape.

relocated and BR--when the average concealed carrier spends as a tiny fraction as much time training with their weapon as police and military, then I'll consider taking what they say seriously. Until then, I fear them far more than I fear criminals.
    I saw this after I posted my last reply. I will, also, agree with you everyday until next year.

However, while it does seem to be the majority, you cannot group all gun owners into that same frame. DH and I shoot whenever possible. At least once a week. If I were not proficient than I would not have one. To me, gun ownership is not something to be taken lightly.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

Are these the guns we need for self-protections?

[Updated at 3:54 p.m. ET] Three guns were found at the scene, CNN's Susan Candiotti reports. According to a law enforcement source, the third weapon found on the scene was a .223 Bushmaster. The other weapons, previously reported, are a Glock, and a Sig-Sauer. No word on the models of Glock or Sig-Sauer.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    This is why the City of Kennesaw, GA has virtually no crime.... it's a law that all City residents must own a hand gun.

The evil know this law.... they avoid Kennesaw like the plaque.

It's NOT the gun, it's the SHOOTER. Evil prevails and always will until That Day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Amen, Choco.

That's kind of what I'm getting at with my first statement. People are less brazen when they know that they will meet the business end of a gun.
    So please explain how even if every adult at the CT elementary school was armed with a gun, this tragedy wouldn't have happened? Sort of a "Shooting at the OK Corral" perhaps?

A crazy nut is a crazy nut. He/she isn't going to give a damn if he knows he's being met with firearms. Most of the time they end up shooting themselves anyway.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bacardi1 View Post
    So please explain how even if every adult at the CT elementary school was armed with a gun, this tragedy wouldn't have happened? Sort of a "Shooting at the OK Corral" perhaps?
    Perhaps it still would have happened. I stated a few times that it is my firm belief that when people make up their minds to do something like this, they are going to do it.

It is my thought, though, that the shooter may not have been able to inflict the mass amount of damage that he did, should somebody else who was armed (and trained) been able to react.

The reports are that the handguns are .9mm...which is a popular handgun. It sounds like the other is a hunting riffle, but I am not sure.

I think we are bluring the lines of self protection and people who intend to do harm to people.

I do not think the average person needs an AR-15, but if you had a .9mm in your gun safe or as your carry weapon I wouldnt be appauled or shocked.

I dont know if this is a state or federal law, but here in GA you can not have a gun on school property, concealed or not. So, with that law, in this case, it wouldnt have mattered if every adult was trained to use a gun or not since they couldnt have them on campus.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

We have too few young (well, younger than me, anyway - which leaves definition lots of variation) people who have not been taught that actions have consequences and then, made to take responsibility for their actions.

Everything is do or die competition. Schools pass kids along because - god forbid - you don't want to damage their little psyches. Way too much is aimed at the lowest common denominator. Parents want to be friends/buddies - and scream bloody murder when someone else (school?) tries to instill a manner in their little prince or princess.

TV? I think WAY too many kids grow up thinking what they see is reality. "reality shows"?????? Be serious!

Video games? I know there are all kinds, but when a child learns that s/he 'wins' when s/he kills everyone he doesn't like or who does something he doesn't like... I'm not sure all the kids (of all ages) who are avid vg players can separate the game attitude from what is normal/acceptable in real life.

Tell you what! Practically every day something happens to make me glad I'm as old as I am. And shudder for those you in your teens & 20s - or who have young children. What a godawful mess we're leaving.... I cry as I listen to one of my favorite songs "Imagine"

C
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

8 members found this post helpful.

with Alfonso Spagoni, the toreador. NOT in a ticky tacky box!

WW- yes, a good percentage of the increased crime is gangs and drugs, however, arson, rape, child abuse/murder, burglary, etc., are all up significantly as well.

About stabbing allowing more children to escape, I give you China, which also seems to be having a rash of school attacks.

CFF

I have a gun. permit too. but the gun is in a drawer in one room, and the clip with the bullets in it is upstairs in the bedroom.... so if someone comes in here wanting to do me harm, he/she better wait at the door while I run around and put the pieces together so I'm ready to defend myself.

seriously tho, I believe, just MHO, that we don't need just "gun control" we need to control, and eliminate, (for domestic use anyway) big huge automatic weapons that can fire 57 bajillion bullets a second. WHY are those types of weapons out there any way?? to kill. to kill a lot of people fast.

get rid of the availability of THOSE types of weapons, and I would think it would be much harder to kill 26 people as fast as this evil person supposedly did.

9 members found this post helpful.

The .223 Bushmaster is sold at Walmart. Doesn't look like a gun used for deer or duck hunting. Might be just the thing to blow away a kindergartner, though.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    Shoot, I hit the thumbs up on your last post, Windsor1, when I didn't mean to. Please disregard.
    I usually do.
    "Business!” cried the Ghost, wringing its hands again. “Mankind was my business. The common welfare was my business; charity, mercy, forbearance, and benevolence, were, all, my business.”

2 members found this post helpful.

Let's not be obtuse, of COURSE it happens, but the frequency at which it happens is not NEARLY what we experience here.

Canada has what I believe to be some of the BEST gun controls in the world. Trying to find Kelly Oxford's blog explaining....will post if I can find it.

Putting guns in MORE people's hands isn't a solution. Making them harder to get, tying in mental health screenings, etc., is a start.
    People call themselves animal lovers, then let their dogs chase the squirrels. You're scaring the shit out of the squirrels, you schmuck!

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    The reports are that the handguns are .9mm...which is a popular handgun. It sounds like the other is a hunting riffle, but I am not sure.

I think we are bluring the lines of self protection and people who intend to do harm to people.

I do not think the average person needs an AR-15, but if you had a .9mm in your gun safe or as your carry weapon I wouldnt be appauled or shocked.

I dont know if this is a state or federal law, but here in GA you can not have a gun on school property, concealed or not. So, with that law, in this case, it wouldnt have mattered if every adult was trained to use a gun or not since they couldnt have them on campus.
    DH said that the other type of gun was an assault rifle. .223. I'm not sure how readily avaliable they are. He said that it was similar to what he carried in Iraq.

Quote Originally Posted by RedmondDressage View Post
    ... but we also MUST start taking mental health care seriously and we need to fund it appropriately so that help is available to people with issues. These things rarely happen out of nowhere, there are almost always events leading up to it but often there is nowhere to turn for the care that might have prevented this tragedy.
    Unfortunately, the support and services can be there, but it's the old line "you can lead a horse to water..." My nephew (40s, excellent career in the healthcare industry, four super - but typical - teenagers, intelligent - with bipolar in the family genes) committed suicide a few years ago. He refused to acknowledge and refused to medicate. His parents tried; his first wife tried; I'm sure his widow tried.

Carol
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Quote Originally Posted by LarkspurCO View Post
    Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade

Gun crime has almost doubled since Labour came to power as a culture of extreme gang violence has taken hold.

The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year - a rise of 89 per cent.
    In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold.

In eighteen police areas, gun crime at least doubled.
    The statistic will fuel fears that the police are struggling to contain gang-related violence, in which the carrying of a firearm has become increasingly common place.

Last week, police in London revealed they had begun carrying out armed patrols on some streets.

The move means officers armed with sub-machine guns are engaged in routine policing for the first time.

Shadow Home Secretary, Chris Grayling, said last night: 'In areas dominated by gang culture, we're now seeing guns used to settle scores between rivals as well as turf wars between rival drug dealers.

'We need to redouble our efforts to deal with the challenge.'
    He added: 'These figures are all the more alarming given that it is only a week since the Metropolitan Police said it was increasing regular armed patrols in some areas of the capital'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2F3pJBV4Q
    I don't really get the point of this, because their gun crime is still significantly less than ours. And they are much more aggressive and diligent in dealing with it than we are.

Personally I don't think anyone is saying all guns are going to be used to kill someone, and all people shooting guns are the devil. Not at all... it is just the fact that there are a lot of irresponsible people out there, and it is far too easy for any crazy person with a bad idea to get a weapon, or 5, or 20 and then walk into a school, business, or house and kill someone
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    DH said that the other type of gun was an assault rifle. .223. I'm not sure how readily avaliable they are. He said that it was similar to what he carried in Iraq.
    And you can buy THAT at WalMart?!?!?!?! Hmph, that seems a bit odd.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"