The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Death by firearm per 100,000 people
    USA 9.0
    UK 0.22
    Germany `1.1
    Ireland 1.03

We're ahead of Paraguay and Uruguay and Zimbabwey

WHY????
    because here they do not use swords, rocks, or whatever is handy like is used in Europe

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    I'll stand with those who feel they need a weapon to defend their livestock, feed their family, or put a downed animal out of its misery. ... We are already a country of hotheaded people who often act before we think. We do things we know are provoking because we flaunt our freedom of expression.

I think our culture is entirely too permissive of violence, too accepting of vengeance, too boastful of what our own rights are that we forget our neighbors' rights. I think we have far too much bravado ('"if I'd been there, this wouldn't have happened") and far too little clarity of thought, compassion towards others, and lasting heartbreak at incidents like this which prevents us from putting aside our own agenda to truly work towards a better solution for society as a whole.
    I think I love you. I can't find better words myself, so here: reread.
    Nanakorobi yaoki: Seven times fall, eight times rise.
    http://reveilleandrinsie.blogspot.com

5 members found this post helpful.

I grew up going to school with guys who had guns in gun racks in their trucks. This was during the desegregation and forced intergration of the early 70s. We had fights and riots at school but no one used their guns. Guns were for hunting. I do think video games have desensitized particularly young males to killing people. This is not to say that all who play these would do something like this. It is very sick and the person who did this is incredible ill. I hear now he also killed his father in NJ.

7 members found this post helpful.

The gunman has been identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, of New Jersey. A dead body has also been found in his home, (his father) officials said. Sources said Lanza was armed with four weapons and wearing a bullet-proof vest when he opened fire in the elementary school.

Among the dead was the gunman's mother, found in the school, sources told ABC News.

(ABC NEWS)

This is a sick person who came to that school to kill his own mother.

SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    The gunman has been identified as Ryan Lanza, 24, of New Jersey. A dead body has also been found in his home, (his father) officials said. Sources said Lanza was armed with four weapons and wearing a bullet-proof vest when he opened fire in the elementary school.

Among the dead was the gunman's mother, found in the school, sources told ABC News.

(ABC NEWS)

This is a sick person who came to that school to kill his own mother.
    Ugh. In such a case I'm sure there were issues leading up to this and I won't be at all surprised if his parents attempted to get him help in the past. It's so difficult to get disturbed people the help they need. Gun control is a conversation we must have, but we also MUST start taking mental health care seriously and we need to fund it appropriately so that help is available to people with issues. These things rarely happen out of nowhere, there are almost always events leading up to it but often there is nowhere to turn for the care that might have prevented this tragedy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    Some use bombs, remember the OKC bombing?
    Same type crazy fellow, chose a different weapon.

I would say, guns do so much more good than they harm.

We just get to hear the horrible stories as this one, really rare ones over and over.
    Then jump on gun control, as if that would have avoided that?
    Well, maybe not, see bomb use above.

We need to address crazy people better.
    Timothy McVey and his co-conspirator were not crazy in the conventional or legal sense of the word. They were terrorists, just the same as Al Quaeda, and were acting on their political beliefs. That's why their target was a federal office building. So you can't compare McVey and Company's actions to the actions of these deranged shooters.

Yea, I'd like to see the President of the NRA and all those other idiots who blather on about "people killing people" and who block any attempt at reasonable regulation of guns and ammo go and look those parents in the eyes and explain to them why real gun control isn't a good idea. They would absolutely deserve anything those parents did to them.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    Bring on the red thumbs... which is fine.

Criminals are going to get their hands on guns, despite the fact that they are outlawed or not. If MORE people were armed, and able to respond to the threat perhaps the bastards wouldn't have gotten as far as they did.
    Yes! Yes! And yes!! Criminals will find a gun no matter what law is out there....

12 members found this post helpful.

My thought is this. The people who are in such a mental state that they are going to open fire on children are going to do it with whatever weapon that they can get their hands on. Making them illegal isn't going to make them go away, not in the least. It's just going to prevent the properly minded and law abiding people from being able to protect themselves. I'm sorry, but if somebody pulls a gun on me, I'm going to shoot him first. No questions asked.

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cutter99 View Post
    There were 22 children and 1 adult stabbed in a school in China today. Guns are not necessary to commit acts of violence.
    But this would never be made public here as this is contrary to the Gun Control fanatics......
    We do not have an overpopulation of dogs, we have an under population of responsible dog owners!!!

6 members found this post helpful.

I am so torn over gun control. I don't think people need handguns or assault rifles (I know there will be arguments!). I don't think the founding fathers could have anticipated the kinds of guns we have today when they wrote the Constitution, but I do think gun control would first require a Constitutional Amendment.

I have no problem with guns for hunting as I know people who have enough to eat only because they can hunt to put food on the table.

HOWEVER (this is where I get conflicted) - how do you enforce stricter gun control now? Whether I like handguns and assault rifles or not, people have them. Do you go knocking on people's doors to ask them to hand over guns? (I'm being a bit facetious here). Even if we outlawed assault rifles and handguns here in the US, those who want them could get them elsewhere (they may not care about the legality of acquiring guns from outside the country). For those in favor of stricter gun control here, how do you think we enforce/enact it?

I don't know what the answer is. I just know this situation, and many others, are heartbreaking.
    Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

9 members found this post helpful.

I'm sorry, but if somebody pulls a gun on me, I'm going to shoot him first. No questions asked.
    (I meant to "reply with quote" not thumbs up your post.)

If someone pulls a gun on you, they already have a gun out and pointed in your direction. So you're going to dig through your purse/under clothes/etc for your own weapon while you've got an allegedly deranged person who's already got you in their sights and you're majickally going to whip out your gun and with no time to aim, fire first AND accurately, disabling and/or killing the allegedly deranged person who was already prepped to shoot you? Really? You're so certain that you wouldn't freeze (normal), panic (normal), fumble (normal), have left your gun at home (oopsie), try to talk him/her out of shooting, or just plain get killed off the dang bat?!

Dang. Color me impressed.

Now can we get back to reality and leave Wyatt Earp and the OK Corral back in the days of the wild west?
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    This is why the City of Kennesaw, GA has virtually no crime.... it's a law that all City residents must own a hand gun.

The evil know this law.... they avoid Kennesaw like the plaque.

It's NOT the gun, it's the SHOOTER. Evil prevails and always will until That Day.

You can not make that logical connection. Some of the places in the world with super lenient gun control have even worse massacres in schools. Having accessible weapons only means that the person who snaps is already armed.

Some of the WORST school killings in the US happened in the 1920s (e.g. Bath School in 1927) when weapons were very easy to obtain.

Consider Isreal where there are armed military at almost every corner. Even the off-duty soldiers in swim suits carry their weapons at the beaches. An armed populace is not a guarantee of safety.

Motivated mass murders will kill by any means. And if the population becomes armed with hand held weapons, then explosives (which actually are even easier to make and distribute) become the mode of murder, e.g. Ted Kaczynski.

My thought is this. The people who are in such a mental state that they are going to open fire on children are going to do it with whatever weapon that they can get their hands on. Making them illegal isn't going to make them go away, not in the least. It's just going to prevent the properly minded and law abiding people from being able to protect themselves. I'm sorry, but if somebody pulls a gun on me, I'm going to shoot him first. No questions asked.
    I agree with this 100%...and Superminion, when you find that remote island, can I join you? We can homeschool the miniatures together.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljenn View Post
    I am so torn over gun control. I don't think people need handguns or assault rifles (I know there will be arguments!). I don't think the founding fathers could have anticipated the kinds of guns we have today when they wrote the Constitution, but I do think gun control would first require a Constitutional Amendment.

I have no problem with guns for hunting as I know people who have enough to eat only because they can hunt to put food on the table.

HOWEVER (this is where I get conflicted) - how do you enforce stricter gun control now? Whether I like handguns and assault rifles or not, people have them. Do you go knocking on people's doors to ask them to hand over guns? (I'm being a bit facetious here). Even if we outlawed assault rifles and handguns here in the US, those who want them could get them elsewhere (they may not care about the legality of acquiring guns from outside the country). For those in favor of stricter gun control here, how do you think we enforce/enact it?

I don't know what the answer is. I just know this situation, and many others, are heartbreaking.
    Ok, I can wield a mean shovel to take care of rattlers without guns, but that won't work on feral hogs.

I'm sorry but this is just a load of BS. "Open fire with whatever weapon they can get their hands on"? Oh, puhleeze, you can only "open fire" with a gun. Did all you anti gun control people ever stop and think that every gun in the hands of a criminal once belonged to some "law abiding citizen"? Where the hell do you think criminals get their guns? If we made guns, especially automatic and semi-automatic weapons, extremely difficult to acquire by anyone, maybe there wouldn't be so many guns on the street for criminals to acquire.

Oh, and Superminion, how are you going to be sure you are going to GET to shoot first if someone pulls a gun on you? This time of statement just makes me want to puke. We don't live in the Wild West anymore people.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jen-s View Post
    (I meant to "reply with quote" not thumbs up your post.)

If someone pulls a gun on you, they already have a gun out and pointed in your direction. So you're going to dig through your purse/under clothes/etc for your own weapon while you've got an allegedly deranged person who's already got you in their sights and you're majickally going to whip out your gun and with no time to aim, fire first AND accurately, disabling and/or killing the allegedly deranged person who was already prepped to shoot you? Really? You're so certain that you wouldn't freeze (normal), panic (normal), fumble (normal), have left your gun at home (oopsie), try to talk him/her out of shooting, or just plain get killed off the dang bat?!

Dang. Color me impressed.

Now can we get back to reality and leave Wyatt Earp and the OK Corral back in the days of the wild west?

Who knows, really. Many a person has done it. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility at all. Carrying a gun, to me, is not something that I just throw in my purse next to my lip gloss and cell phone. I would not carry one if I was not comfortable, accurate, and prepared to use it. It is not something that I would have to fumble around to find, and it is not something that I would just 'whoopies' forget at home.Every. Single. Second that I am armed, no matter if I am hunting, walking the dog, or whatever I am aware of my firearm. It's called being responsible.

If somebody threatened my life, DD's or DH's and I was armed. I would use it without thought. If I was not 100% sure of my ability to carry that out, the firearm would stay at home.

16 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    I'm sorry but this is just a load of BS. "Open fire with whatever weapon they can get their hands on"? Oh, puhleeze, you can only "open fire" with a gun. Did all you anti gun control people ever stop and think that every gun in the hands of a criminal once belonged to some "law abiding citizen"? Where the hell do you think criminals get their guns? If we made guns, especially automatic and semi-automatic weapons, extremely difficult to acquire by anyone, maybe there wouldn't be so many guns on the street for criminals to acquire.

Oh, and Superminion, how are you going to be sure you are going to GET to shoot first if someone pulls a gun on you? This time of statement just makes me want to puke. We don't live in the Wild West anymore people.
    I think many just don't know that much about guns and are scared of them, with good reason, they are deadly.

That doesn't mean that, just because some crazy ones use them to kill, we need to ban them, just handle crazy people better.

13 members found this post helpful.

According to the UN, the intentional homicide rate in the US is 5.6 to 5.9 per 100,000. Our neighbor, Canada, with stricter gun control laws, has a rate of 1.5 to 2.0/100,000. Note, this is all homicides, not just gun deaths. In a comparison to European, industrialized countries, no one else comes close.

http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-...s-05012009.pdf
    Join the Clinton 2016 campaign...Hillary For America. https://www.hillaryclinton.com/

Default From the UK's Daily Mail

Culture of violence: Gun crime goes up by 89% in a decade

Gun crime has almost doubled since Labour came to power as a culture of extreme gang violence has taken hold.

The latest Government figures show that the total number of firearm offences in England and Wales has increased from 5,209 in 1998/99 to 9,865 last year - a rise of 89 per cent.
    In some parts of the country, the number of offences has increased more than five-fold.

In eighteen police areas, gun crime at least doubled.
    The statistic will fuel fears that the police are struggling to contain gang-related violence, in which the carrying of a firearm has become increasingly common place.

Last week, police in London revealed they had begun carrying out armed patrols on some streets.

The move means officers armed with sub-machine guns are engaged in routine policing for the first time.

Shadow Home Secretary, Chris Grayling, said last night: 'In areas dominated by gang culture, we're now seeing guns used to settle scores between rivals as well as turf wars between rival drug dealers.

'We need to redouble our efforts to deal with the challenge.'
    He added: 'These figures are all the more alarming given that it is only a week since the Metropolitan Police said it was increasing regular armed patrols in some areas of the capital'.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2F3pJBV4Q

2 members found this post helpful.