The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Default In countries with strict gun control laws

Does this happen?
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

3 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yes. Not as often, and not to the extent it has happened in the US in the past few years, but yes.

That is not to say I do not completely 100% support gun control, because IMO it it is the best way to stop this kind of thing from happening. However, people who shouldn't will still get their hands on guns.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunblane_school_massacre one of the most well known in the UK, where strict gun control laws are in place.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

2 members found this post helpful.

I don't think that any number of laws will stop crazy people from being crazy. I'm not a big gun proponent, but I don't see how gun control would have stopped this from happening. The shooter would have acquired guns whether it was legal or not.

I'd be interested to hear what leads people to this, and why there has been such an increase lately. What is it that is causing so much violence in our society? I'm not buying the video games and movies explanation...
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

24 members found this post helpful.

Bring on the red thumbs... which is fine.

Criminals are going to get their hands on guns, despite the fact that they are outlawed or not. If MORE people were armed, and able to respond to the threat perhaps the bastards wouldn't have gotten as far as they did.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

85 members found this post helpful.

It happens a hell of a lot less often, that is for sure.

My husband is English and has always been appalled by the gun control laws here. They DO NOT have the same kind of crime in the UK that we have here. Cops over there don't even carry guns.

Something has gotten to be done to stop this kind of thing. I think we could take a lesson from the UK, quite frankly.
    Last edited by FlashGordon; Dec. 14, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

40 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Superminion View Post
    If MORE people were armed, and able to respond to the threat perhaps the bastards wouldn't have gotten as far as they did.
    Eh, I don't really buy this, either. As I said before, I don't think stricter gun control would have prevented this, but arming the entire population is just asking for trouble, IMO. People are dumb and reactionary - most of them don't need guns.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

39 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Criminals are going to get their hands on guns, despite the fact that they are outlawed or not. If MORE people were armed, and able to respond to the threat perhaps the bastards wouldn't have gotten as far as they did.
    The way I see it is that is why it is called GUN CONTROL. Give the right people the guns and CONTROL it.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

11 members found this post helpful.

Gun control is not the answer...asshat control is the answer.

If someone wants to kill people they are going to find a way to do it regardless. And its generally NOT the people who have their guns legally that are the problem.
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

58 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    I don't think that any number of laws will stop crazy people from being crazy.
    They won't, of course. The idea, to me, is to increase the difficulty for crazy people who want to act on their . . . craziness.

It seems logical to me that the more difficult you make a thing to do, whether it's getting a drivers license, obtaining citizenship, or climbing Mt. Everest, for that matter, the fewer people you will have doing that thing.

Also, it's not necessarily about preventing shootings, but minimizing the carnage when one happens.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

14 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    Gun control is not the answer...asshat control is the answer.

If someone wants to kill people they are going to find a way to do it regardless. And its generally NOT the people who have their guns legally that are the problem.
    Agree.

It's hard to tell the people who are going to snap, sometimes, and when they are going to snap though. Our LEO's have one hell of a job sorting people out. Disturbed people are good at hiding plans, feelings, etc.

It takes a truly evil person to unload a clip into masses of CHILDREN. I'm terrified by what the state of the country is going to be in when DD gets to be school aged. Homeschooling on a remote island populated by only monkeys is looking better and better!
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

8 members found this post helpful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Death by firearm per 100,000 people
    USA 9.0
    UK 0.22
    Germany `1.1
    Ireland 1.03

We're ahead of Paraguay and Uruguay and Zimbabwey

WHY????
    Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

22 members found this post helpful.

Holy S*IT.

I heard about this on the way home this morning and when I detached myself from the news around noonish, I don't believe there were ANY confirmed dead. I had no idea how many were, in fact, killed until just now when I checked the Washington Post website.

There are no words. The poor parents.
    Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

How about quicker trials and sentencing for the ones who dont shoot themselves?

The asshat who opened fire in the movie theater...I DONT CARE if he is mentally insane...how in the world is THAT a free pass?!?! Our justice system needs some modifiing to handle these types of cases...that guy that shot a bailf here in ATL, escaped jail, and ended up shooting and killing a cop...STILL hasnt been tried and this was at least 5 years ago!!
    Busy Bee Farm, Ellijay, GA
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"

23 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ted_death_rate

Death by firearm per 100,000 people
    USA 9.0
    UK 0.22
    Germany `1.1
    Ireland 1.03

We're ahead of Paraguay and Uruguay and Zimbabwey

WHY????
    Because the US is messed up. I don't know how you go back now, though, there are so many weapons available in strange places. Anyone can get whatever gun they want if they try hard enough.... and they don't even HAVE to try that hard.

Sure does make me think twice about our choice to raise our kids here vs. in England.

And I'm with you guys on the asshat control....
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

8 members found this post helpful.

There were 22 children and 1 adult stabbed in a school in China today. Guns are not necessary to commit acts of violence.

39 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by relocatedTXjumpr View Post
    How about quicker trials and sentencing for the ones who dont shoot themselves?

The asshat who opened fire in the movie theater...I DONT CARE if he is mentally insane...how in the world is THAT a free pass?!?! Our justice system needs some modifiing to handle these types of cases...that guy that shot a bailf here in ATL, escaped jail, and ended up shooting and killing a cop...STILL hasnt been tried and this was at least 5 years ago!!
    We could be good friends, I think.

I don't think that there should be a plea for mental instability. Too much hand holding, IMO.

20 members found this post helpful.

How about a big green thumb instead?
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

12 members found this post helpful.

This is why the City of Kennesaw, GA has virtually no crime.... it's a law that all City residents must own a hand gun.

The evil know this law.... they avoid Kennesaw like the plaque.

It's NOT the gun, it's the SHOOTER. Evil prevails and always will until That Day.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

49 members found this post helpful.

Amen, Choco.

That's kind of what I'm getting at with my first statement. People are less brazen when they know that they will meet the business end of a gun.

11 members found this post helpful.

I really dislike guns, but I don't think more laws will help control this type of violence. Our society has become very immune to violence. We see it on TV, News, Video Games, Songs...everywhere! In the UK, they have much looser views on sexuality than we do, but not violence. I think that if we want this type of violence to be very rare, we need to revamp our values as far as "entertainment violence" goes. That is just my honest opinion. I am so sorry for anyone touched by the tragedy in Connecticut.
    Certified Spiritual Medium/ Animal Communicator
    www.heatherevebristol.com
    www.meliorastables.net

10 members found this post helpful.