The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dollars for Docs

Found this interesting site today after reading an article online. It divulges if a doctor receives money from pharmaceutical companies.

Guess it isn't new, but I'd never heard of the site before today.

Good information to have...

http://www.propublica.org/series/dollars-for-docs

Drug companies have long kept secret details of the payments they make to doctors and other health professionals for promoting their drugs. But 12 companies have begun publicizing the information, some because of legal settlements. ProPublica pulled their disclosures into a database so patients can search for their doctor. Accepting payments isn’t necessarily wrong, but it can raise ethical issues.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

That is very interesting. I check my Doc. Looks like she's been taken out to dinner a time or two, but hasn't taken any outright payments. As far as I'm concerned, a free meal or two isn't cause for alarm, maybe because I spent my working career in a field where sales reps did the lunch thing with traffic managers all the time.
    Originally Posted by Alagirl
    We just love to shame poor people...when in reality, we are all just peasants.

2 members found this post helpful.

The doctor my daughter used to use is on there but only under $250 for meals. Now I do wonder about that, is that only for meals given directly to the doctor or is it for meals brought into the office for the entire staff. They had a catered lunch 4 days a week. She left after he hired a bunch of physician assistants and nurse practioners and couldn't get an appointment with him at all.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Thumbs up Sort of off-topic, but ProPublica does some very intersting work

With the virtual demise of "real" journalism in favor of celebrity crap, ProPublica has emerged as a source of thorough, accurate reporting on a number of subjects.