The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

There are some reports now that he also killed his father..
    Hickstead 1996-2011 Godspeed
    " Hickstead is simply the best and He lives forever in our hearts"
    Akasha 1992-2012 - I will always love you sweet girl.

Thanks for opening this - how I found out and knew to turn on the news. Trying to rack my brain as someone just recently mentioned that so and so was from Newtown. So unbelievably sad.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Thank you, Mods. My heart aches for the children and parents. Hugging my son extra tight today.
    the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Thank you. Tried to call my husband to talk about it after I heard it on the radio and he said he did NOT want to know, someone at work had warned him not to watch the news.

Lots of hugs for everyone.

I've not been around for a while, but figured you may open up OT day and knew it would be a good place to go for some support.
    Maria Hayes-Frosty Oak Stables
    Home to All Eyez On Me, 1998 16.2 Cleveland Bay Sporthorse Stallion
    & FrostyOak Hampton 2008 Pure Cleveland Bay Colt
    www.frostyoaks.com

Thank you Mod 1. I came to COTH thinking there would be a thread on Off Course at least for awhile ... this is better. I am shell shocked. How could anyone shoot small children, no matter how angry/crazy/depressed they are?

My prayers are with all affected and especially the children who lived through the attacks. May they and their families find some peace in the days and weeks ahead.
    HaHA! Made-est Thou Look!

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in CT, have been sitting here all day, shaking, chills, goosebumps, I feel much the way I did on 9-11, when I WAS working at school.

my granddaughter is in kindergarten, it was everything I could do to not go across the street and get her just so I could hold her .

this is just unfathomable!

Thank for providing this today.

These things are happening every day, sadly, but this? this? 5 year olds? I can't wrap my head around anyone wiping out an entire class full of little FIVE YEAR OLD KIDS.

Default there is no explanation

for that kind of disregard for innocent human lives.

If there isn't a special place in hell for someone like the shooter, there should be.

It's not about the guns people. The bad people will always find a way to get them. Prohibition didn't keep people from drinking anymore than laws will keep the guns out of the wrong hands. You'd be better off to give everyone a gun.

In our county (KY) at least 4 young men breaking into the homes of elderly people have been shot and killed by the homeowners, the other few, well, they just followed the blood trails til they found the guys and cuffed and stuffed them.

Seems like lately, there aren't any home break ins in our neck of the woods.

There isn't anyplace that is safe any longer. Do I understand someone being derranged enough to shoot a parent or an ex spouse or a lover, or even a bad boss that fired you and your perception is your life is ruined? No, but at least you can sort of understand the anger.

But to shoot little, tiny children? Who does that?

6 members found this post helpful.

I just heard about this on the news. What a horrible, horrible tragedy for all those involved. My heart goes out to them.

I just started and stopped and started typing again about 5 times. I can't even get words out.

How do we, as adults, explain this to our children?
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I didnt even hear of this until I got to work this afternoon. I am sickened and sad. The President misting up sent me over the edge as I was just learning what was going on. The brave teachers who helped try to protect children are heros. Prayers for all the first responders, teachers, other children that were witness to the darkest side of humanity as well as to the families directly affected.

Quote Originally Posted by ybiaw View Post
    I just started and stopped and started typing again about 5 times. I can't even get words out.

How do we, as adults, explain this to our children?
    Tell them the truth, that some people just go crazy and do crazy things, some of them horrible like this here.

I started shaking when I found out. I am going to go home and hug my mom really, really tight.
    Proud member of the COTH Junior (and Junior-at-Heart!) clique!

My vet's step-mom was the principal in that school, and is among the confirmed dead.

Violence is senseless no matter who it is committed against, and who commits it.

Heartbreaking.

I don't understand the whole thing. It was just released that the shooter's mother was murdered at home, he took her car, drove it to the school and then it all went down. In this light, this whole business at the school, especially what went down in the kindergarten, makes no sense at all. There are no words. A lot of pain, confusion and shock, but no understanding. We hear there is a vigil tonight at the Washington monument. That is a comfort for folks I think.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Spent the day being frustrated with my Kindergardeners because they couldn't settle. Now I want to just hug them all.

This thought kills me.

Quote Originally Posted by War Admiral View Post
    Thinking of all those empty beds at Christmas. .

Thank you mods, thank you.

I spent the morning helping our schools Kindergarteners (and first and second graders) excitedly shop for gifts at our schools Holiday Shop. It was so sweet.

And then came home to this news. I've never been so shaken. I couldn't sit in this house anymore so I went back to the school and stayed at the Holiday shop just to be in the same building with my son.

I'm devastated for the families of all the victims and all the children in the school who had to go through this. My thoughts and prayers to all of them.

Thoughts and prayers also to the first responders on the scene. I can't imagine walking into that and not being haunted for the rest of your life.
    Rhythm the perfect OTTB;Spock the will-be perfect OTTB;Mia the Arab/appendix COTH giveaway

I was thinking of empty beds, and unopened Christmas presents under the tree too.

We were looking forward to going the Hobbit this weekend, and now this has reminded me of the Batman movie shooting. You just aren't safe anywhere these days. The Mall. Your Elementary school. The Movie Theater. This is almost as bad as realizing that you can die in a plane crash while sitting at your desk in your office.

Most Americans grow up feeling an almost invinceable sense of security. Horrible things happen in far away countries. Not any more. The past 15-20 years with Colombine, the DC sniper, 9/11... Things have changed around here.