The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

the names and pictures of the children and teachers are starting to roll in. I want to turn away, and yet somehow feel like I need to know them. Remember them instead of the perpetrator.

4 members found this post helpful.

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    Prayers & thoughts to all involved....

There really are no words.

it is just so sad. thanks for the hug

Thank you for the hug. I started watching on Friday and just couldn't stop crying.

Quote Originally Posted by supershorty628 View Post
    I remember doing drills for things like that when I was in middle and high school.

JeanM, the last paragraph you wrote made me think of this statement that was published online earlier today: I'm from Newtown and I have something to say to the world
    People need to read that person's comments. Seriously.

So now I see on Facebook that some wackaloon "church" plans to come and protest at the funerals, as they like to do at funerals for our military heroes who died overseas serving their country... really???

And today at a memorial at the church in Newtown, some a-hole thought it would be, what, funny? exciting?, to call in a threat to the church so it had to be evacuated during the service. Really??

I remember back when I was babysitting, and feeling a bit envious of the kids because they would get to see that much more of the wonderful future than I would. Now, I am envious of my dear 86 year old friend because she will escape this quagmire that our society has become so much sooner than I will be able to. And heaven help the generations that are younger than mine.

2 members found this post helpful.

The media coverage is getting to me, too. I don't have TV at home and have not since I went to college. But now I have Facebook, and websites, and and and. 9/11 was far more of a threat and a catastrophe, as well as personally closer to home (e.g. I had many friends working at Akamai, which lost one of its founders that day, and I started grad school that very day.) But I wasn't as "connected" via social media; I avoided the TVs at school and in fact didn't see any video coverage at all for months. My only connection to Newtown is that it's where my horse had her suspensory surgery in 2010.

I had to leave work early on Friday because my coworkers were all talking about Newtown and I just couldn't join the conversation, or listen. Now I am worried they will think that I don't care. Dreading work tomorrow....
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

Quote Originally Posted by quietann View Post
    I had to leave work early on Friday because my coworkers were all talking about Newtown and I just couldn't join the conversation, or listen. Now I am worried they will think that I don't care. Dreading work tomorrow....
    I think it is fine to just say that you cannot, or are not ready to, talk about it. I was fortunate in that I was working from home on Friday, but my husband was at work and he did tell his coworkers that he did not want to discuss it, as it was upsetting to him to do so. Everyone deals with emotionally disturbing news and grief in different ways, some people like to talk/talk/talk, others like to process it quietly. If anyone thought you didn't care because you don't want to discuss it, I'd say they might be a bit lacking in empathy themselves.

I watched Good Morning America, but thus far, I have not mustered the resolve to go on Facebook or turn on the radio. This all takes just another little piece of us.

I couldn't care less what that wackaloon's name was (still don't know it) or how messed up he was or why he may have done what he did. All I want to hear are the names and stories of the heros.

You know, growing up we were taught to fear the communists and terrorists etc, but they are not the real danger.

"We have met the enemy... and he is us"
    ~ Pogo

1 members found this post helpful.

A little horseback rider. http://abcnews.go.com/US/newtown-sho...ry?id=17996306

I need to get off the comptuer. This stuff has me bawling. Going to go hug my little ones (1yrs, almost 4 DD, almost 6DS).

After a tragedy like this, we often wonder, what can we do, as individuals? The only thing that I can think of is kindness. When that car wants to pull out onto the busy roadway, let them. When someone behind you has a few items more than you do, let them check out first anyway. When you put your moeny in the Salvation Army kettle, stop and smile at the bell ringer. Pay for the coffee of the person behind you in line.
    And just maybe...that one act of kindness...will be the one thing that stops a spiral of rage in a mentally ill person...and save a life.

Yes, nice matters.

And just a week or so ago, with that nurse in the British hospital that got the prank phone call from the New Zealand disc jockeys... It may have seemed like a harmless joke, but you never know when it is going to escalate and push someone over the edge. That was such a shame.

SmartAlex, you're right. So much of today's "entertainment" is at someone else's expense, snarky or humiliating. That's something else we can do, stop supporting that form of "humor"
    Alittle bit of the Golden Rule can go a long way.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Until this time last year, I lived in Newtown. We still have a house there, and the wonderful friend who used to hack my horse for me when I could not get out to the barn has a daughter who was in one of the classrooms attacked by the deranged lunatic who took so many innocent lives. She survived because of her now-dead young teacher's heroic actions, but will bear the scars from living through that horror forever. I know that there is still a lot of good in the world and yet it is very hard to get past this; the senseless violence just astounds me beyond my understanding. If only hugs could make things as right as we wish them to.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucassb View Post
    Until this time last year, I lived in Newtown. We still have a house there, and the wonderful friend who used to hack my horse for me when I could not get out to the barn has a daughter who was in one of the classrooms attacked by the deranged lunatic who took so many innocent lives. She survived because of her now-dead young teacher's heroic actions, but will bear the scars from living through that horror forever. I know that there is still a lot of good in the world and yet it is very hard to get past this; the senseless violence just astounds me beyond my understanding. If only hugs could make things as right as we wish them to.
    ((((((((HHHUUUGGGSSS)))))))) to her and her daughter from all of us on COTH, next time you talk to her on the phone or in person.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog