The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    I was thinking of empty beds, and unopened Christmas presents under the tree too.

We were looking forward to going the Hobbit this weekend, and now this has reminded me of the Batman movie shooting. You just aren't safe anywhere these days. The Mall. Your Elementary school. The Movie Theater. This is almost as bad as realizing that you can die in a plane crash while sitting at your desk in your office.

Most Americans grow up feeling an almost invinceable sense of security. Horrible things happen in far away countries. Not any more. The past 15-20 years with Colombine, the DC sniper, 9/11... Things have changed around here.
    I know how you feel S.A. - so many of my friends were afraid to go to movies after the theater shooting spree. I just won't be intimidated though and I think you should go see your movie. The day the terrorists (whether they're the ones within the country or out of the country) make us fearful to leave our homes is the day they win.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

1 members found this post helpful.

We will go, but we will be mindful.

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    My vet's step-mom was the principal in that school, and is among the confirmed dead.

Violence is senseless no matter who it is committed against, and who commits it.

Heartbreaking.
    How horrible. How unspeakably horrible for everyone. I don't have kids, but kissed my animals more than usual tonight.

My heart hurts for all involved.

I can't imagine the parents pain, or the loved ones of the adults. This is sickening.
    As far as the gun debate I will just repeat my husbands sentiment "Guys like me carry guns because of guys like them" I don't think this should be about guns though. I think it should be about the shock and sadness we all feel for families we have never met.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am having such a hard time wrapping my mind around this. Had to turn off the news. So very, very sad.

Jingles for all affected by this tragedy.

This has been so very difficult to deal with and I find something as simple as opening the forum for discussion a very positive thing. It provides us with a safe place to commiserate. Thanks.

Yes, Happymom. CNN has allready started with the gun control debates, and motives and all that. Im still reeling from the senselessness of it all. This thread is a quiet place to sort it out, and I hope it stays this way. Still grappling with the enormity of this. And Im turning off the talking heads

I live in CT, and the story unfolded as we were setting up for work at the restaurant where I work...We are a small town here, we all know each other, as in Newtown. As the story unfolded, it was just...horrible. Very quiet day, just heartbreaking...

What the h*ll is happening to our young people? That shooting strangers-and children for God's sake, is an "answer", or a "statement"??

Thank you for opening the forum. I am a teacher, I've experienced lockdowns, but none of this makes any sense to me. I feel so much grief for those in Newtown, CT and can only pray that the messages of support from all over the country offers them some measure of comfort tonight.

Unimaginable. Tonight, I put a candle on the porch for the first time in over 11 years.

I had seen the initial report, three shot...I was the first person in my office to see the horrific update later on. Coworkers asked what was wrong and I couldn't even speak. One of them said she thought I was going to faint. I felt physically ill. All day, the image in my head was 20 headstones reading 2007-2012.How do you go on as a parent? Especially when you have other children? Or you don't have any other children? My god.

And I don't have kids. How can we surround these people and that community and each other with love?

I will be one of the ones marching in the streets demanding the return of sanity in order to preserve what's left of our humanity. Enough is enough - we are ready to work hard and get past this garbage. Enough is enough.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I cried and cried and felt physically ill yesterday. I cannot even wrap my mind around why this happened. As a parent, this is worse than your worst nightmare - EVER. I think about the parents waiting for their children in the chaos and then realizing their child won't be coming out. I can't even imagine what they went through. I am also concerned for the first responders/police, etc. I know they have children and even though it's your job, that horrific scene might have been more than some of them could handle. I hope they ask for help if they need it!
    I maintain this is not about gun control. It's about taking responsibility for family members when they need help. Taking away guns will not fix this. We have to care enough to fix people, where something like this all begins.
    Remember to say prayers come Monday morning for all the students who will go back to school. This will be a stressful time for everyone.
    Some days the best thing about my job is that the chair spins.

There really are no words for this tragedy. Horrible doesn't even begin to describe it.

Every time I think about all those kids - not just the ones who were lost, but every kid who had to be there for that - and how terrifying that must have been, I just start to cry. I do not have kids, but I have a 2 yr old niece, a 4 year yr old nephew, and a 6 yr old nephew that I love to pieces, and I instantly think of them when I think about this. It makes my stomach hurt.

My sister-in-law said my oldest nephew came home from kindergarten a few weeks ago and told her that they had learned in school that day what to do if someone comes in with a gun. It makes me so sick and angry that kids as young as 5 have to learn what to do in that situation.

Thank you CoTH.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

The same kind who went in and opened fire on little Amish kids.

Thanks, Mods, I definitely need a hug today, from every COTHer in the world.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

There are no words....

5-10 year olds? Innocent people who devoted their lives to kids?

THere are no words...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I've been single & childless and have never had the maternal drive, so I've never been one to be "mushy" over children... but yesterday as I was running errands after work, I found myself cherishing every little kid I saw and hoped that the adult with them was, too.

I was shocked to learn that schools now are doing drills for this sort of thing. Whatever has happened to our society that this was ever thought to be needed, and now has been proved to indeed, BE needed?!

I was channel-hopping last night because I couldn't break away from the coverage. The local channels, and then the national cable ones...and I found the latter to be absolutely disgusting in the way they gleefully probed into the pain.

I remember doing drills for things like that when I was in middle and high school.

JeanM, the last paragraph you wrote made me think of this statement that was published online earlier today: I'm from Newtown and I have something to say to the world

The anger and horror should be directed at finding a solution for this kind of seemingly unrelenting nightmare of death, from the wars on down to the creation of serial killers by video games (anyone see that the gunman was a Goth "follower") and that they used to have LAN network video game parties at the house? Anyone know how many of these kinds of multiple killings deaths are related to violent video games? There is a book written called, "On Killing", written by David Grossman, LT. Col. USA retired. Exposes a great deal of this in detail. Worth reading as horrifying and frightening as it is, there are those who are trying to do this to us as a civilization. We must stop them or this will continue. We are in a Dark Age right now, that is for sure and we must face it and pull ourselves out of it.
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by JeanM View Post
    I was shocked to learn that schools now are doing drills for this sort of thing. Whatever has happened to our society that this was ever thought to be needed, and now has been proved to indeed, BE needed?!

I remember Columbine. I was in Jr High at the time. For WEEKS afterward, shooter drills were the norm (several times a week for a pretty decent time). In the days after the shooting, every single class I was in covered the procedures for their particular classroom if there was a shooter. I could count on at least two shooter drills each year, clear through my senior year in high school. And this was in a blasted quiet, close-knit little town. Granted, through my last two years of high school we did have both a bomb threat and Anthrax scare, so the drills did eventually pay off. Even in CA, we had more shooter drills than earthquake/fire drills.

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

What makes a person do this?
    I cannot imagine what those families are going through.

Prayers to those affected, and hugs to everyone