The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

On the broker page next to Sky Cup's ad, the status shows pending and the name Celia. Anybody know who this is? I haven't called shipper to cancel yet, so can still follow through with getting her, if need be.
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

Maybe email them and find out? Maybe it's the trainer? Both Proper English and Sky Cup are listed as placed and going "home" on Dec 17th. Hopefully that's a good thing.

As a side note - I'm impressed with how quietly they both jogged back and forth with a bareback rider in that dingy ally. I'm sure it was a first for both of them. Go OTTB's!!

3 members found this post helpful.

I remember Dewanna all too well and still feel bad for him and for all the others in desperate need of a home. I wish I had the financial means to take them all in but I don't - I can donate to whomever listed in this thread that needs it and would be willing to help whoever takes them any way I can. If you live close to Asheville, NC I can muck with the best

Please email me if any dribbles are needed - I don't come here that much. s hensley 28778 @ yahoo dot com

no spaces

Hopefully all the horses there will have a Merry Christmas this year with all the exposure this thread has given them.

Just went and checked the broker page again, and both Sky Cup and Proper English are still listed as going "home" today. YAY!!! Major kudos to everyone who helped save these 2 girls, from Daatje for originally bringing it to our attention to spooky for contacting trainers, etc, and everyone else who offered to help in some small way. Just knowing these girls are safe is enough of a Christmas present for me!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

1 members found this post helpful.

Anyone up for starting The Dribblers Club? If my fellow COTHers are interested, we could develop an email list so that if someone finds a horse in need, TDC could be quickly alerted to see if there is ability/willingness to kick in a little something (a dribble, as many on here have liked to call it!) to help a person who can take a rescue home. Might speed the process up and get one or two to a better place. Just throwing it out there to see what others might think...

Quote Originally Posted by realrush89 View Post
    Just went and checked the broker page again, and both Sky Cup and Proper English are still listed as going "home" today. YAY!!! Major kudos to everyone who helped save these 2 girls, from Daatje for originally bringing it to our attention to spooky for contacting trainers, etc, and everyone else who offered to help in some small way. Just knowing these girls are safe is enough of a Christmas present for me!
    Me too! I am so glad to hear this. I've had a majorly busy weekend and wicked day at work, so just checking back on this now. Thanks to all for networking!

It's hard for me to comprehend how someone could have something as precious as an OTTB and just throw it away. I long for the day when I can provide a home for one. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas indeed!

2 members found this post helpful.

Default Like Bathsheba8542's idea

Dear COTHers,
    I like Bathsheba8542's idea about a pull fund to help at risk horses. I know that people do this on the board informally all the time -- with some outstanding results. I have been looking for a way to donate money in memeory of the children who were killed in Connecticut. I have never met a child who did not love animals so I was thinknig of heading in this direction with a donation. It is something I know if you could have asked them they would have all said Yes to. Several of those children were horse lovers and budding riders. It would be a wonderful testimony to their young lives to save a horse in their name. I am jsut throwing it out for your consideration. Jsut an idea.
    gingersnap
    In the heart of Horse Country ....

I love the idea of donating money . . . but why not take advantage of some of the wonderful organizations that already have the infrastructure in place to help the horses. CANTER does a fabulous job at its locations around the US. It is run by volunteers and all the money donated goes to help the horses. I have one OTTB that I adopted from CANTER NE and another that I am fostering. I am always impressed by the dedication of the people there and they do a lot of "behind the scenes" work to save horses that end up in the kill pen.

Or, buy some copies of Sarah K. Andrew's Horses and Hope Calendar. She's worked with several rescues this year and the stories behind the horses she's featured are wonderful! She's also highlighted several rescue organizations that would probably appreciate a donation.

I think that making a donation for the holidays . . . or in memory of the children in CT is a wonderful way to pay tribute.
    Last edited by Bogie; Dec. 17, 2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: fixed typo
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Hi Bogie - the organizations in place do great work, and need support. I think I'm reflecting on our collective success in saving our Old Chestnut Mare (Always Funny). That effort started with a sad Craigslist ad that pulled at our heart strings and became a real success with an offer from a kind-heard COTH-er to give her a home, and then something like 68 others chipping in to ease the financial burden on the new owners. I would love to be part of something like this that is really measurable in its success each year. I would not want to take anything away from needy rescues, though.

You can sponsor specific horses at CANTER, too -- just sayin'.

They are always taking on horses (these are CANTER owned, not trainer owned) that need help. Many of them are fostered for months before they find the right adoptive home. The horse I am fostering came from a neglect situation and he spent several months being rehabbed even before I got him. I'll spend the winter training him so he can be placed but there was a lot of TLC that was done on the front end.

Just a reminder, that while we appreciate the desire to help a horse in need, we don't allow fundraising efforts for non-5013c charities on the site. We allow limited posting of horses listed through 501c3 organizations, including broker and trainer listings, but fundraising for the purchase of these horses or their aftercare has to occur off of the site.

There have been some instances that have fallen through the cracks in terms of our policies, and we're of course pleased that horses find themselves in better situations through the generosity of members of the community, but when we're aware of a situation, we do enforce the fundraising policies.

Thanks!
    Mod 1

Sorry Mods !! Did not mean to tread in non-approved areas -- I hardly ever psot !! :-) Thanks Bogie -- good suggestions like Cater programs. Yes, I know about the good work they do and what a safety net they are for so many. I guess like Bathsheba I was also thinking of the Old Chesnut Mare and various other horses that COTHers stepped in for. It is a special experience to be more directly responsible for sending a horse on to a better life.
    I did not know about the Horses and Hope calendar. Wish I had known earlier as it would have made good Xmas gifts.
    I was caught up thinking of those children. One little rider-girl is to be buried today. I was trying to connect their memory directly to a horse-related cause. But I have my own special rescue that I will alwayy support --- they were there for my first horse and was his safety net. I will send them some money this Xmas.
    In the heart of Horse Country ....

Quote Originally Posted by Daatje View Post
    It looks like Dynaquake has been purchased, awesome. Hopefully to a good home. But Sky Cup still needs someone.
    I saved him! Sorry I'm just seeing this now- As soon as I saw Christy had identified him as "Dynaquake" I bailed him right then and there and Christy pulled tons of strings to get it so I could pick him up the next day. He's in rough shape- body scale about a 2/2.5, atrocious feet, and overall just seems very sore but he's a super sweetheart

Long story short- a few months back when I first saw his listing on CANTER I thought about going to see him to do the rehab and retrain him. Then my circumstances changed and I didn't. So when his name rang a bell I wasn't going to let him slip through again- especially to a KB. I have spoken to his old trainer- she was horrified to hear.

((PS: Hi Daatje- this is "dillonmymacaroniponi" from equichat / you hunt with a friend of mine who has a OTTB- Kathy... ))

Does CANTER not have anything in place to make sure their horses don't end up like that? Or are they able to go get the horse themselves?
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Does CANTER not have anything in place to make sure their horses don't end up like that? Or are they able to go get the horse themselves?
    CANTER is a listing organization, not the owner, of most of the TBs (CANTER does own and retrain horses - but a small number in comparison to listings). Reputable organizations like CANTER are run by volunteers - and there is only so much support that can be given to any horse. The transfer paperwork can request that the old owner or CANTER be given notice and option to repurchase -- but enforcing anything is beyond difficult. Ultimately, it requires that the new owners be good horse owners.

These organizations have networks of people that can be notified to help out in such situations - but open stalls, money and the time in any day is limited.

For OTTBs, in addition to CANTER, there is New Vocations and MidAtlantic Horse Rescue. Mid-Atlantic does pull horses from auctions. Some organizations also scan CL ads for TBs falling through the cracks. Yes, it bites that this happens so regularly.
    Last edited by Justa Bob; Dec. 30, 2012 at 12:53 PM. Reason: clarify

Quote Originally Posted by Skyedragon View Post
    Very few of the horses belong to CANTER. Mostly CANTER works with trainers to help them find non-racing homes for the horses when they retire. Like anyone selling a horses, trainers don't know what's going to happen to that horse once it leaves their hands and some "buyers" may not be that honest, or some people may find that they don't really want an OTTB after they bring it home and sell it one.

Some CANTER affiliates do purchase at risk horses or bail them from auctions; sometimes owners donate their horses to CANTER to help them find homes. CANTER is a volunteer organization and their funds are limited. That's why I suggested donating to them (or other reputable rescues) where you know the money is being used to help the horses.

The CANTER owned horses generally are fostered by volunteers until they can be placed in an adoptive home. As someone who has fostered two horses (and adopted one), I know that I appreciate the blankets and other things that are donated to CANTER to help make those horses more comfortable!

As appears to be the case with Sky Cup (a lovely looking mare, BTW) horses listed by trainers through CANTER are sold by the trainers to whoever they choose to do business with. Sadly, it seems that the types who buy with the intent of re-selling to kill buyers have figured out that many trainers who list on sites like CANTER are often in quite a rush to move stock. Many of those types maintain just enough "above board" business that they can convince trainers that they are legit. (Recall the flap last year about the woman who transferred many horses to killers while operating a training business and even showing at Devon!)

Thank you spooky for once again stepping up to help! You are amazing! Happy New Year to you!
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

If this is true, why would CANTER or any other organization allow themselves to be used in this way? Surely there has to be some way to avoid that outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
    If this is true, why would CANTER or any other organization allow themselves to be used in this way? Surely there has to be some way to avoid that outcome.
    CANTER has no control over who buys horses from trainers.