The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default CANTER horse at the Broker Lot......Sky Cup

Thought I recognized her name. Just a heads up, incase anyone followed her. She's on the broker lot and in need of a good home! (would if I could, but I can't)

Page 2, number 12-11-40

Proper English sounds familiar too... poor girls

Quote Originally Posted by magicteetango View Post
    Proper English sounds familiar too... poor girls
    I know, and Sky looks like crap. I wish, wish, wish I could take her on...... Hopefully someone can!

I found a cached version (or part of) her CANTER listing:

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/...psdf458c88.png

And here is a bigger picture from the listing:

http://reflectionsonriding.files.wor.../10/skycup.jpg

Default Turf horse....

Ooh, now I want her even more. I love the turf horses.

Poor baby, skinny with burrs in her forelock. Far cry from the svelt race horse she was in 2011!

Thanks for those links. I just hope someone can buy her before she falls further through the cracks. Spread the word!

Here's a random analysis of her pedigree from someone who (seems to) know their stuff:
    http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group...e/message/3251

Poor girl.

Wow. Thanks for the rundown on her breeding. That was an interesting read. Someone's gotta know somebody that knows this mare or is in need of a well bred lady to fill their barn.

Bumping for her. The analysis of her breeding makes her sound like a good broodmare prospect.

One of the more interesting mares I've seen this season is the 7 year old
    daughter of Stack x First Raise x Raise A Cup- named Sky Cup, the venerable
    racer is currently lodged in the busy Bay State America, at first glance her
    broodmare sire array is what gets the gears churning- Raise A Cup>What A
    Pleasure>Blenheim!!>Blue Larkspur!!Â…the appearances of 2 of the greatest sires
    in the annals, one a foal of 1927 and the latter foaled in 1926 is a rare
    occurrence- and a mare so stacked with such ancestors in generation 4 & 5 is a
    rarer bird indeed-

Her sire Stack is a son of England's last Triple Crown champion- which comprises
    the 2000 guineas>The Darby & the St. Leger, Nijinsky II - and his dam File is a
    member of one of the better producing families in recent moons, stemming from
    Nasrullah damsel Courtesy dam of Knightly Manner & Dignitas etc.

On the female side of the ledger these illustrious broodmare progenitors set on
    a branch of the awesome 1-x tribe after La Troienne who incredibly is 5th dam!!
    of Sky Cup- where anyone is going to find such a close up connection to the
    bluest of blue hens delivering in the 20th century is anyone's guess but there
    she is at Suffolk Downs still racing and not being presented to Bernardini, AP
    Indy or Tiznow etc!?!

Sky Cup's connections might be talked into taking some $$$ for this diamond in
    the rough but only those on the grounds willing to take this suggestion to heart
    might know if the mare will be parted with-of course there is always the chance
    that she may have been bred and failed to mesh or her conformation offers
    defects which may not be included in an edition of the Merck Manual- but a
    look-see is certainly warranted- her dosage profile is also
    magnificent>13-3-12-5-3 & she shows inbreeding to Native Dancer & Bull Lea &
    Nasrullah within five generations- if one looks at her 4th generational
    Broodmares it is like a visit to the animal husbandry hall of
    fame-Businesslike>Grey Flight>Real Delight>
    Raise You>Courtesy>Pocahontas>Flaring Top>Natalma- superb from stem to stern-

My notion would be to take her to Tale of Ekati, let's see what blood-horse
    thinks of that>Tale of Ekati x Sky Cup x Stack- the Darby Dan Kentucky stallion
    is demanding 15K for his operand- stallion register offers no opine as Tale of
    Ekati has yet to have his initial racers out there competing but this
    hypothetical foal would have Nijinsky 4x3 in his paperwork- Tale of Ekati brings
    a cross of Nippon's greatest stallion ever Sunday Silence into the picture-
    hsw
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

So sad for Sky Cup, and the other horses listed as well. I shouldn't have opened that link...those faces are going to haunt me, particularly the grey Standardbred "Heidi Hy." Wish I could take them all but unfortunately I'm at my financial limit with the one I have.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

Can we raise money for Sky Cup? I can keep her here until she finds a home. But I am 14hrs from the pickup, and last year I had a mare shipped from Honey Brook PA and it was $700.

I'm hoping my group will be able to save the Paso mare. I wish I could take the minis home. So sad.
    You are what you dare.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Lyn Farms View Post
    Can we raise money for Sky Cup? I can keep her here until she finds a home. But I am 14hrs from the pickup, and last year I had a mare shipped from Honey Brook PA and it was $700.
    I don't know how to set up a Paypal or anything, and I can't contribute a huge amount, but I am game for a dribble if someone makes this happen.
    *Wendy* 4.17.73 - 12.20.05

The other TB listed, Dynaquake, is well bred as well, and looks to have come from Suffolk Downs. I wonder if the CANTER NE people know about him? IIRC, Suffolk has very strict rules about selling horses at the bottom of the barrel auctions that kill buyers frequent.

I've seen other postings about AC4H, but have never really given it much thought. (I just haven't had the room for another horse.) But I do have ONE open spot at home right now. Has anyone dealt with this program before? How difficult is it to get arrangements made? I live down in Georgia, so would need transportation as well. If someone would be willing to help me out with arrangements, I can give Sky Cup a home. TIA!
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King

You're right Simkie, here's Dynaquake's listing from April 2012. This just gets sadder and sadder.

Real rush, you could pay for her and everything just need help finding a shipper?

Realrush, I don't think it's that difficult. A neighbor of ours bought a horse through them a few years ago and it was a piece of cake. Here's a link to their instructions.

From what I understand, you sign the purchase and sales agreement, make payment, arrange for pickup/or quarantine and that's that.

They can give you info for shippers. I've never shipped a horse, so have no contacts to share.

Oh, I hope you can take her!

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    The other TB listed, Dynaquake, is well bred as well, and looks to have come from Suffolk Downs. I wonder if the CANTER NE people know about him? IIRC, Suffolk has very strict rules about selling horses at the bottom of the barrel auctions that kill buyers frequent.
    Simkie, I have just emailed CANTER NE to give them a heads up about these two horses. Trying to spread the word as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    I'm sure they've been told.

Please keep in mind that trainers can be scammed by "buyers" just like private sellers. At the end of a meet, when horses can be picked up as "freebies", it takes a skeptical person to resist the "buyer" who comes in looking for a horse for their wife/daughter/etc.

I've certainly seen it happen with private sales .

If you can get a horse for free, anything you get for it at the auctions is profit.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

I haven't shipped a horse that far in a long time, and I know rates have gone up tremendously. After sitting down with a calculator, I can pay for her and for about $500 towards shipping, but that's it, unfortunately. (I just incurred a large vet bill earlier in the week when my gelding decided to try and amputate his right hind leg at the stifle.)

Anybody know a bleeding heart transporter that is willing to give a Christmas deal to help save a horse from slaughter?
    "...That's the worst, I think. When the secret stays locked within not for want of a teller, but for want of an understanding ear." --Stephen King