The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

119 25.76%
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

I haven't read any of the other posts - I have wine waiting for me and I'm in a hurry!

My comments, in no particular order:
    1. I would like the chance to change my mind and be able to de-thumb.
    2. It should not be anonymous.

That's all
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    But how does giving a post an unappreciated rating add to anything? This is a DISCUSSION forum which means we DISCUSS.

I think the thumbs down option tends to prevent some of the worst pileons. Instead of humpty brazillion people jumping on one poster to tell them exactly why (to use Saje's example) riding yearlings is not a great idea (usually in exactly the same words), you get people red thumbing the post and only a few repeating the same advice. Like polling, both red and green thumbs provide some important (if somewhat limited) feedback.

I find both red and green thumbs provide quite useful feedback and am mystified by the people who find them hurtful or childish or in some way a commentary on the poster as a person. It reminds me of interns I have had who only want positive feedback and go into emotional tailspins at the first sign of any kind of criticism. YMMV.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

9 members found this post helpful.

I would like to check several of the poll options. Because I can't I just chose I don't like any of it. Sort of like the poll...
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

I miss-voted. I don't mind the thumbs either way but the notifications are a bit annoying so meant to vote to get rid of them.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'm kind of neutral between thumbs up only and get rid of it all, but I voted get rid of it all because the notifications are annoying.

The thumbs down seem to be going an ugly direction.

1 members found this post helpful.

Are you guys getting popups for thumb notifications? I'm not, I only know I've got something if I bother to look at the Notifications link at the top of the page. I DO get a popup message if I get a PM though.

I also turned off all but Moderator email contacts, don't know if that has anything to do w/ it.

4 members found this post helpful.

Really I dont mind thumbs up and downs but I wozld love to have the usernames connected with it... I think if any user is willing to be connected to his opinion its ok.
    I do not appreciate of anonymous opinions...
    ( by the way the last time I posted exactly the same opinion I got several anonymous thumbs down)
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    I'm sorry but this is all a straw man argument. I keep seeing people say the thumbs prevent piling on and one-word "agree" replies.

That is empirically disproven. Since the advent of thumbs I've witnesses two gigantic pile ons on the board and no more/fewer short answer replies.

People are thumbing because either they're juvenile, lazy, or want to be anonymous. I don't think any of these is an impulse to be encouraged.

agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Horse with No Name View Post
    I haven't read any of the other posts - I have wine waiting for me and I'm in a hurry!

My comments, in no particular order:
    1. I would like the chance to change my mind and be able to de-thumb.
    2. It should not be anonymous.

That's all
    I agree and think it is interesting that you got 2 thumbs down like me.. (By the way I gave you a thumbs up)

I dont get it why people dont want to stand up to their opinion...
    Owned proudly by my horses and the Pony
    Blacky by Sandro Hit, Amica by Amidou,
    Sarasota (Princess) by Don Schufro and Daysie by Sandro Hit
    and last not least Kassandra GRP by Burstye Orpheus

I voted for nix it all, but would be almost as happy with thumbs up only. I think the thumbs down lowers the tone of the board, giving it a "reality show" (ugh) flavor.
    Mon Ogon (Mojo), black/bay 16 H TB Gelding

I actually don't mind the feature, but it has the possibility of being abused with the 'bad' notifications, and serves no useful purpose that I can see.

I think comments can be directly addressed in the main forum for all to see and for all to own up to who says what.

I voted 'nix'.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

4 members found this post helpful.

I would like the feature more if usernames were connected to them.

I have seen a few cases where someone gets their panties in a twist and just goes through and thumbs things down on every post someone makes. Easy enough to disregard, but really, it would be nice to know who/when someone is thumbs up or down so you can know if you're on the right track or maybe need to rethink your position. I generally like the concept. I just wish usernames were attached.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

I also vote for the option: Keep the thumbs up and get rid of the thumbs down and notifications.
    ~Kryswyn~ Always look on the bright side of life, de doo, de doo de doo de doo
    Check out my Kryswyn JRTs on Facebook

"Life is merrier with a terrier!"

The thumbs make no sense.

For example, someone started a thread saying she was going to Europe, asking for suggests on tack shops/brands. I replied and told her about a German brand I like, HKM. Someone neg thummbed it. WHAT DOES that mean?

1. Someone thought that was bad advice, that poster doesn't like HKM
    2. Someone thought it was incomplete advice, I should have explained more or given other options
    3. Someone doesn't like the idea of me throwing out suggestions at all, the OP should figure it out on her own
    4. Someone doesn't like me
    5. Someone doesn't like Germany at all
    6. Someone is annoyed that the OP is going on a trip and talking about it

Or a million other explanations...

The thumbs are wholly unhelpful. They aren't being used to truly "disagree" they're being used to say "I don't like you but I'm a coward so rather than say something-- I'll red thumb you."

And there's JUST as much piling on as before. Only now posters post something nasty AND go red thumb your post on that thread... and click your history and go red thumb all your past posts too out of spite.

It's juvenile, childish, and almost tantamount to bullying. I bet if it were linked to user names, OVERNIGHT you'd love 90% of the red thumbing. Overnight. If posters knew they'd be called out for passive-aggressive behavior-- they wouldn't do it. It's a supreme example of how mean people will act when they think no one will find out.

I also think it's turning this board into a really juvenile place. HSGF already exists if I want to chat with people who act like 13 year olds. Let's not do that here too.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

5 members found this post helpful.

OK, I gave you a thumbs down on this post, because of the "tantamount to bullying" and the general level of hysteria.

Bullying? Really?? Yes I know bullying is a real issue, but so is the need for a thicker skin all around. A "bad" on an inconsequential post and you are wounded? Seriously??

WHY does it matter so much?

Good grief people, get a GRIP.

10 members found this post helpful.

So, do you like that better than just the red thumb?

8 members found this post helpful.

I was one of the people on the beta board that thought we should give thumbs down a try and see what happened. I have watched it closely and...

I think the thumbs down should be eliminated because there are too many ways to misinterpret what was meant when someone gives a thumbs down.

Maybe they are saying:

I disagree with your comment. or

I hate that happened to you. It was wrong. or

You are an idot. or

I don't like you so I'm thumbing down whatever you post. or

whatever.

And people seem to care WAY too much about getting a thumbs down on a post they make.

So, I voted keep the thumbs up, but let's get rid of the thumbs down. It has not seemed to add anything to the discussions and is almost universally interpreted negatively.

Now, go ahead. Thumb me down all you want. I DO have a thick skin.
    Visit Sonesta Farms website at www.sonestafarms.com or our FaceBook page at www.facebook.com/sonestafarms. Also showing & breeding Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

I voted to keep the thumbs up. There are posts that I have really appreciated, but if others have already commented or "ditto"ed or agreed with the post, I don't clog up the thread by also commenting. The green thumb is perfect for that because many people can show their appreciation that might not have otherwise.

Totally agree with Sonesta regarding the red thumb.

I don't mind it either way. However, if both thumbs are kept, the name of the thumber should appear as well (retro active, too! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

One of the things I intensely dislike about Facebook is the flavor of a popularity contest that the "like" button brings. Now we've got it here.

If someone agrees with me, I'd like to know why. And if someone disagrees with me, knowing why is even more important. Heck, I might learn something, and that's always a good thing.

Rebecca