The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

119 25.76%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Hmm, I think there is a substantial difference between not caring about the existence of coding in a system that allows a thumb option to exist and being utterly mystified about someone who takes those red thumbs so to heart that they have not missed many opportunities to tell us all why they feel so strongly.

The former probably doesn't warrant comment, but I can see where the latter might inspire comment.
    Feel free to comment. Who's telling anyone not to? Not I?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I do not see a red dot next to names, I see an open circle for those that are offline. Thumbs are still down in the lower right corner.

1 members found this post helpful.

Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Y'all neg-clique's regular lives must be dull... I mean, how sad that someone has nothing better to do than to read something and click a red thumb. Doesn't even have anything creative enough or worth sharing. No real opinion. No engagement.
    You don"t want engagement, you are just pissed that people disagree with your opinion.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

11 members found this post helpful.

Others keep saying "it's not worth caring about." I am trying to point out the irony of posting that. If it's not worth caring about, why post in defense of red thumbs.
    Um, because this is in fact a thread asking for everyone's opinions, maybe?

If only the haters are allowed to reply, the feedback will be skewed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    Who hated on my "uh-oh" face? How can you thumbs down the "uh-oh" face?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

2 members found this post helpful.

LOL You don't even know what I was "uh-oh-ing" about!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by Monica67 View Post
    You don"t want engagement, you are just pissed that people disagree with your opinion.
    I don't have a problem with people who post in disagreement with me. I have a problem with anonymous negativity spewing. I'm happy to see people post actual opinions of why they like the thumbs. I don't agree but I think the engagement is fruitful. What I don't think is fruitful is thumbing sans comment/attribution.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by Crockpot View Post
    Um, because this is in fact a thread asking for everyone's opinions, maybe?

If only the haters are allowed to reply, the feedback will be skewed.
    I'm not saying the haters shouldn't be ALLOWED to reply... I'm just pointing out that people obviously care about it on both sides of the thumb aisle. So being kerpuzzled that I would post against the thumbs is ironic coming from people posting in favor of the thumbs. Obviously we all care about it to some degree. Enough to post.

But I'll take posting about it any day over anonymous thumbing in either direction. I hate getting green thumbs as much as I hate getting the red ones. If you don't POST I have no idea what is intended by either! And I mostly super don't enjoy getting the notifications, which I have to click on twice or else I'm missing private messages. It's annoying on a tablet when screens load slowly and clicking is tricky.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    Which leads me to my final opportunity for engagement and disclosure. Sometimes it's just easier to thumbs down the wankers and not engage them, because thing about wankers is they are like arguing with stupid people. They just take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    I use the green thumb a LOT more than the red one but, honestly, when I do use the red one it's generally the kinder and more polite option than saying what I'm actually thinking. (Yes, Virginia, there *is* worse possible feedback than failing to 'appreciate' your post.)

I do wish it was more like FB, in that thumb clicks could be changed or retracted. And it would be nice to be able to separate disagreement with a particular post from dislike of the person behind the post. The current ambiguity seems to be what's upsetting a lot of people.

7 members found this post helpful.

I'm not saying the haters shouldn't be ALLOWED to reply...
    By haters , I meant thumb haters --like yourself- which should be obvious from my post. You are the one who is objecting to people expressing a different opinion.

5 members found this post helpful.

OK, I keep asking this and I have yet to get an answer:

Don't others besides me get pop-up notifications of PMs? I do, and I do NOT get pop-up notifications of the thumbs. I use an up-to-date Firefox browser, and I have all sorts of ad-block, script block stuff on it.

PM notifications are separate from thumbs, or so I thought.

3 members found this post helpful.

My PM notifications and thumb notifications are together. And I can't tell which I have until I click on "Notifications." I use explorer and chrome. I could have 1 PM and 5 thumbs or 6 thumbs or 6 PMs-- I can't tell without clicking on "Notifications."
    ~Veronica

OK, these are my settings for PMs. I get a nice little pop-up telling me I have a new message and asking me if I want to open it in a new window or not: (Hmm, bullets didn't show up right so I highlighted my settings)

Private Messaging

• Private Messaging:
      • Private Messaging on
      • Private Messaging off

This forum features a private messaging system, which allows members to send messages to one another privately.

If you do not want to send or receive private messages, you may disable the private messaging system.
    • Receive Private Messaging:
      • Only from Contacts and Moderators
      • From all members

You may limit the receipt of private messages to just moderators and your contacts. Other members who attempt to send messages to you will be told that you have disabled private messaging.
    • Email Notification of New Private Messages:
      • Receive Email Notification of new Private Messages
      • Don't receive Email Notification of new Private Messages

The forum can send a message to your email address to inform you when someone sends you a private message.
    • New Private Message Notification Pop-up:
      • Show New Private Message Notification Pop-up
      • Don't show New Private Message Notification Pop-up

If you are browsing the forums when you receive a new private message, the system can pop-up a notification box informing you of the new message.
    • Sent Private Messages:
      • Save a copy of sent messages in my Sent Items folder by default
      • Don't save a copy of sent messages

When sending private messages the forum can make a copy of the message in your Sent Items folder.

If you set yours to pop-ups, you can ignore the notifications thing, and just click on them (when you're feeling energetic) to get rid of the number.

Wow, I'm one of the cool kids now? Awesome!

I think I've been pretty clear that I like the green and red thumbs. I have from day one. No secrets here.

My only beef is with the people whose self-esteem is apparently so very fragile (must be Italian!) that getting red thumbs sends them into a tailspin and they must know WHY and WHO and HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY HAPPEN TO MEEEEEEEE? Over the top histrionics tend to bring out sarcasm. Getting a red thumb doesn't, however, send me into a crisis of confidence where I'm all "VFX doesn't think I'm funny. WAH!" YMMV.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    Wow, I'm one of the cool kids now? Awesome!

I think I've been pretty clear that I like the green and red thumbs. I have from day one. No secrets here.

My only beef is with the people whose self-esteem is apparently so very fragile (must be Italian!) that getting red thumbs sends them into a tailspin and they must know WHY and WHO and HOW COULD THIS POSSIBLY HAPPEN TO MEEEEEEEE? Over the top histrionics tend to bring out sarcasm. Getting a red thumb doesn't, however, send me into a crisis of confidence where I'm all "VFX doesn't think I'm funny. WAH!" YMMV.
    Well I dont really think you are funny either... I liked your first post, but not this one.. And i really thought about giving my first red thumb and telling you because i dont agree with the anonymous thing...
    Oh by the way Im not italian and I'm prepared for
    many red thumbs...for this post...

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

saje, mine are the same as yours - get a pop up for an IM, see some numbers (or nothing) up there by "notifications". PC, phone or android tablet, it all works the same.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Manni01 View Post
    Oh by the way Im not italian and I'm prepared for
    many red thumbs...for this post...
    Apparently you have also never seen "A Christmas Story." Carry on.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

8 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    Apparently you have also never seen "A Christmas Story." Carry on.
    I guess I didn´t...

I would like to post my final statement in this thread because I start to feel sorry for the mods who have to work through it in order to find out about the opinions of the forum members....

First of all, I have no problems at all with any thumbs (good or bad), Right now its rather amusing for me to tease out Thumbs down out of other members....
    But if I really look at my intentions why I joined this board I have no idea where anonymous thumbs fit in.... I joined because I love horses and love to talk about them and to exchange information..
    And so far I´m really happy with the outcome. Very nice athmosphere here and I met this awsome OTTB Ice because of a connection created by this board.
    But lately this Thumbthing started.... Which confused me in the beginning was that I did not receive thumbs down for posts where I didn´t catch the right tone, or where I did something politically not correct. Thumbs down for this type of posts I accept gladly....
    No I got those thumbs down for posts in these Thumbs discussion threads....

In Germany Im a member in a forum which features only thumbs up but you can read the name of the Poster who hit the button.
    There are no notifications.
    I do like this feature because it really gives you a feeling about the quality of your posts, because there are user which I like, or admire or respect highly. If they like my posts I feel good.....
    And to get no likes for a post shows something too.....

I have no experiences with thumbs down and what they do....
    But because of my german forum I really prefer to know who likes or dislikes my posts. For me it makes the forum more personal.

Please disregard this post if you dont agree. Its only my little personal opinion. But I wanted to write it down, because I decided from now on to spend my time with topics I prefer... Horses....

2 members found this post helpful.