The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

119 25.76%
Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Bag the thumbs down/bad concept. It's being used for simply disagreeing with a well expressed opinion-that should not get a thumbs down and a "bad" notation. This used to be a place for discussion from all sides and varying opinions.

If posters disagree, they should express it in well thought out dialogue, not declaring a post "bad" and hiding behind cyberspace anonymity.

Thumbs up or a like type button would be OK but I hate the notifications. They don't differentiate between post ratings and PMs. Either I pull it up thinking it's a PM and it's just post ratings or I assume that is what it is and leave somebody hanging for days with a PM.
    Ditto. Er, I mean, thumbs up.

As another poster mentioned, the thumbs down smacks of middle school mean girls.

Plus, when I'm surfing on the ipad, I have hit the thumbs down many times without meaning to... and there is no way to undo that. I don't want to be the mean girl!!
    where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?

People take it way too personal... it's only Coth... I like it the way it is. Some posts are so "out there", they really do not need a typed reply. A thumb down is enough... I read the post, I don't use the thumb down because it was written by a certain poster.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Perfect10 View Post
    Maybe, if we opt to keep the dislike, you have to write a reason whenever you "thumbs down" someone's post? That would probably get rid of the pettiness of the system and force people to think before they "thumbs down," as well as being constructive feedback for the poster.

While that would be incredibly amusing, I can only imagine the angst involved given that people are having so much trouble with a thumbs down.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by loshad View Post
    Per request:

Loshad my friend, that was truly beautiful. Green Thumb all the way!!!11!

6 members found this post helpful.

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by loshad(since didn't show up on saje's post) :
    OMG! A red thumb! This could mean any one of the following:

(Most likely scenario here) Someone, somewhere disagrees with you.

You are not as eloquent as you thought you were and someone didn't understand what you were trying to say.

You are not as funny as you thought you were.

You are not as popular as you thought you were and your friends haven't all gotten together to green thumb you to boost your self-image.

You are not as special a snowflake as you thought you were, and not everyone gets a trophy (or green thumb) just for showing up.

You just might be a bit of a wanker.

You get in a tizzy about red thumbs and sometimes people just can't resist that red flag you're waving around all over the place.

Seriously, what healthy human being gives a shiny rat's behind about what some random poster thinks about your totally deep comments on fly spray or draw reins or Poster X's like totally complicated boarding situation?

I fully admit that I use the red thumbs and would were my name attached. You give some, you get some. Some are good, some are bad. Life goes on with little change.

three thumbs up!

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    People take it way too personal... it's only Coth... I like it the way it is. Some posts are so "out there", they really do not need a typed reply. A thumb down is enough... I read the post, I don't use the thumb down because it was written by a certain poster.
    Seems to me that a lot of posts get thumbs down from people who don't bother to read carefully enough to realize that the post is not really as "out there" as they initially think. If they had to compose an actual response to register their disapproval, they just might slow down enough to read and think more carefully.

I know a lot of people have been pretty amazed at some of the posts that have received red thumbs-- absolutely noncontroversial and benign. Hard to imagine what the knee jerk thumbs judge thought s/he was reading. Explanations would be appreciated-- and perhaps misunderstandings cleared up, people learn things: good things facilitated by discussion which might take place were it not for the convenient slap of the thumb which expresses nothing except disapproval/hostility/negativity.

Then, too, as others have said, people sometimes just hit this ugly thing by mistake, and there is no way to retract.

I hope COTH gets rid of it. It serves no good purpose, but strikes me as an often mystifying expression of ill will-- which I think most of us have see more than enough of already.

2 members found this post helpful.

If they stay they should not be anonymous. That is not an option on the voting list.

That might cut down on the thumbs down spammers who clearly thumbs down people just for the fun of it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Again--who the flip CARES about a red thumb? It is a crude pixilated graphic on the corner of the page.

Every time you whine about getting a red thumb, a devil gets it's horns and clicks even more.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    Again--who the flip CARES about a red thumb? It is a crude pixilated graphic on the corner of the page.

Every time you whine about getting a red thumb, a devil gets it's horns and clicks even more.

You cared enough to post about it?

Someone else who professes to be too cool for school (loshad) wrote a whole long "funny" post about it gleefully reposted by someone else in the cool kids clique.

For people who claim it doesn't matter, the nasty-anonymous-haha-I-don't-like-you-passive-aggressive crowd also seem willing to devote energy to it. In fact, with the rate the red thumbs get applied-- seems like you red thumb crew spend MORE energy on it.

Y'all neg-clique's regular lives must be dull... I mean, how sad that someone has nothing better to do than to read something and click a red thumb. Doesn't even have anything creative enough or worth sharing. No real opinion. No engagement. It's a discussion board but they're too lazy to even discuss. Just "blah, I no likey." I mean, that's what toddlers do, right? The rest of us use words. How full of negativity must someone be to follow "internet people" around giving them negs just because?! So sad.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

You're just jealous!!!11!one!!

9 members found this post helpful.

Clearly
    ~Veronica

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

wait vx... you had ... 13? posts on this thread alone, but Dilli can't respond once without you questioning her reason for doing so? That's not exactly encouraging the engagement you profess to crave so much is it?

PS, in the interest of full disclosure and the potential for engagement, I saw Loshad's post on the other thread and asked her to post it here. Which she did. On the previous page. IMO it has the dual benefit of being funny AND true.

Which leads me to my final opportunity for engagement and disclosure. Sometimes it's just easier to thumbs down the wankers and not engage them, because thing about wankers is they are like arguing with stupid people. They just take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Now the red thumbs are showing up beside posters names!

They must be trying to change things.

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Now the red thumbs are showing up beside posters names!

They must be trying to change things.
    I am not seeing that.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    wait vx... you had ... 13? posts on this thread alone, but Dilli can't respond once without you questioning her reason for doing so? That's not exactly encouraging the engagement you profess to crave so much is it?

PS, in the interest of full disclosure and the potential for engagement, I saw Loshad's post on the other thread and asked her to post it here. Which she did. On the previous page. IMO it has the dual benefit of being funny AND true.

Which leads me to my final opportunity for engagement and disclosure. Sometimes it's just easier to thumbs down the wankers and not engage them, because thing about wankers is they are like arguing with stupid people. They just take you down to their level and beat you with experience.
    I think I've made it clear I do care about the tumbs system. Hence posting about it.

Others keep saying "it's not worth caring about." I am trying to point out the irony of posting that. If it's not worth caring about, why post in defense of red thumbs.

I'll go on record openly/happily that I HATE the thumbs system in general (red and green). I don't think I have ever been subtle about that. I really think it junks up the board and is juvenile. And I care enough about it to post.
    Last edited by vxf111; Dec. 18, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
    ~Veronica

Quote Originally Posted by trubandloki View Post
    I am not seeing that.
    How strange. It just started today. Posters' names either have a green dot or a red thumbs down next to them, and even though it still says "do you appreciate this post?" in the corner, there are no thumbs there, just what looks like the alert button.
    i'm on an iPad.

Hmm, I think there is a substantial difference between not caring about the existence of coding in a system that allows a thumb option to exist and being utterly mystified about someone who takes those red thumbs so to heart that they have not missed many opportunities to tell us all why they feel so strongly.

The former probably doesn't warrant comment, but I can see where the latter might inspire comment.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

8 members found this post helpful.

the green/red dots have always been there - it just lets you know if the poster is on/offline

Um, no offensive but I am a special snowflake.

When I get a thumbs down I go into the bathroom, shut the door, and cry.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    the green/red dots have always been there - it just lets you know if the poster is on/offline
    Well instead of a red dot, I'm now seeing a thumbs down. And the thumbs in the corner are gone. Weird.