The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

    114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

    27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

    38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

    164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

    119 25.76%
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 221
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2006
    Location
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Posts
    4,367

    Default

    Moderator 1... where is that thumbs up down for your post?



  2. #42
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2001
    Location
    Almost Aiken
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    OK, to those who don't like the thumbs, would it make your day better to have people post "I think you're an ass" instead? Or, as I said before, the rollyeyes guy or a "whatever" or the inevitable "ditto" or "This".

    None of those are actually discourse either.

    And I really don't think it's going to be the end of discussion on the boards. It might in fact prevent some of the pile-ons that everybody hates.

    I also find that they draw me back to a post I've made and forgotten, which can be interesting.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Nov. 12, 2009
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,362

    Default

    Why is there an option (thumbs up/down) for this thread - counter productive at the very least.



  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan. 4, 2007
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    40,900

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OneonOne View Post
    I think if you're going to get so worked up about a simple mouse click from some internet strangers that maybe you need to find something more constructive to do with your time.
    Exactly, those that don't like the thumbing at all may not be here to vote.
    Maybe they already did, when they quit posting.



  5. #45
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2001
    Location
    Almost Aiken
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    I don't think they can turn it off for just one thread or poster. It's either ther or it isn't.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Sep. 15, 2010
    Posts
    120

    Default

    I hate the thumbs, but I just choose not to use them and don't mind if others want to thumb away. I do wonder if, since some say the thumbs just indicate agreement or disagreement and some think the thumbs indicate a personal pox on their house and all that live there, we can just get a "this" and a "not this" button and end all the drama. Wait, COTH without drama? Forget it, keep the thumbs AND add the middlle finger!!


    3 members found this post helpful.

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2010
    Posts
    5,952

    Default

    I hate the thumbs, the notifications, and REALLY don't like that it says "good" and "bad."

    I'm OK with what some people said to have something like "agree," but I don't think we even need that.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2000
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    7,947

    Default

    I voted to nix it all because I'm just not into the thumbs up or down business. However, if you decide to keep it, then please attach the voter's screen name to each up and down they post so they are responsible for what they do here.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

    http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    I like the thumbs. It gives me a grin to get green ones, and I don't care when I get bad ones.

    I think it beats having umpteen posts saying "I agree" and "I disagree". Because there are times that I do disagree with someone but I'm either not in a place to type up my reasons, or it's really just not worth the argument (slaughter, for instance) because I know I'm not going to change the person's mind.

    I think they can be taken constructively, if you have an open mind.
    I'm sorry but this is all a straw man argument. I keep seeing people say the thumbs prevent piling on and one-word "agree" replies.

    That is empirically disproven. Since the advent of thumbs I've witnesses two gigantic pile ons on the board and no more/fewer short answer replies.

    People are thumbing because either they're juvenile, lazy, or want to be anonymous. I don't think any of these is an impulse to be encouraged.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Aug. 22, 2001
    Location
    Almost Aiken
    Posts
    2,674

    Default

    I'll give you two out of three. I'm neither lazy nor juvenile, though sometimes it is more politic to be anonymous.


    As for empirically disproven, have you or anyone else actually done a comparison? A real count? I doubt it, since the old board is gone and we didn't know about the thumbs til the new format. It may appear that there's no difference, and it may be true. Personally I'd like to see how it all pans out once the newness has worn off.


    11 members found this post helpful.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    I haven't been keeping specific track... but I have been anecdotally watching and I see no decrease in piling on or short answers. In fact, the same people are piling on are thumbing-- I'd wager.

    What I have seen an increase in-- people lashing out at BEING neg thumbed. And that's not exactly productive but what are you to do since it's anonymous and damn annoying?!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    thumbs are important, you need them to open jars, turn keys, hitchhike, jab it in some one's eye if they assault you,......


    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Hate everything about thumbs.


    12 members found this post helpful.

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Oct. 6, 2002
    Location
    Philadelphia PA
    Posts
    15,983

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    thumbs are important, you need them to open jars, turn keys, hitchhike, jab it in some one's eye if they assault you,......
    Hee hee... the other digits have their uses too the thumbs make my middle finger want to get in on the action...
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    I like the thumbs up, could I live without them sure. I am not a fan of the thumbs down I do not feel it contributes to the conversation, which is the point of this whole BB, a dialogue between horse people to learn and share experiences.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Oct. 1, 2005
    Location
    Sandy, Utah
    Posts
    6,238

    Default

    I can live without the thumbs up/down option (do like the ones attached to my hands)- but I am okay with retaining thumbs up since I've noticed folks have asked for such an option in recent times.

    But I don't thing the 'thumbs down' serves any useful purpose- could be disagreement with what is posted or just someone with not enough to do making mischief. Disagreeing with a post and classifying it as a 'bad' post as implied by the rating system are not at all the same thing.

    Edited to add- the 'notifications' really don't do a thing for me- at least make it easy to clear them out.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2007
    Location
    ....in a classroom in Fl, by the ocean
    Posts
    3,765

    Default

    and the thumb helps hold down the pointer finger while giving the middle finger . Yet another important use for the thumb!




    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Hee hee... the other digits have their uses too the thumbs make my middle finger want to get in on the action...


    2 members found this post helpful.

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Aug. 14, 2004
    Posts
    7,538

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Hee hee... the other digits have their uses too the thumbs make my middle finger want to get in on the action...
    i sooooo want to give this the salute - but i have stopped all thumbing due to the idea that it is being used to collect data....

    i will say that the few times i have given someone the red thumb of death, it did want to make me go "neener neerner"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Apr. 27, 2008
    Posts
    2,453

    Default

    For whatever reason, Facebook's simple "like" button seems better to me than the "appreciate" thumbs. Somehow "appreciate" is not the same as "like."

    I've often wished for a "don't like" button (in Facebook); but through it, I've wanted to say "I don't like the horrible story you posted about" rather than "I don't like you!" Somehow, these red thumbs seem to be saying, "You're a jerk. Only an idiot would hold that position."

    Whatever you choose for the forum, I think it should have names attached -- again, like Facebook's "like" button. I think that would cut out some of the junior-high mean-girls feel that the current system has.
    Last edited by Cindyg; Dec. 15, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
    I have a Fjord! Life With Oden


    2 members found this post helpful.

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Apr. 10, 2006
    Posts
    7,355

    Default

    I think it is generally annoying, but heck at least make it so it's not anonymous. If you want to thumbs down me, go for it, but at least tell me who you are.

    I didn't realize I was a controversial poster until I started collecting as many red thumbs as green ones, lol. In that regard it has been enlightening I guess. I kind of liked Alagirl's idea of turning it into a drinking game. Perhaps I will give that a try some night when I'm really bored.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Dec. 31, 2000
    Location
    El Paso, TX
    Posts
    12,607

    Default

    I can't believe people even pay attention to the thumbs... So some people agree with someone's post and some people disagree...And this is surprising, how???

    If the thumbs are bothering you that much, you may be too sensitive to safely use a BB, if your self esteem/self confidence is shaken by a red thumb.


    9 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 39
    Last Post: May. 7, 2010, 01:03 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last Post: Apr. 25, 2010, 09:46 PM
  3. Replies: 22
    Last Post: Nov. 15, 2009, 11:42 AM
  4. Replies: 65
    Last Post: Nov. 11, 2009, 07:41 AM
  5. Replies: 16
    Last Post: Oct. 15, 2009, 10:53 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •