The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

119 25.76%
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

I like the thumbs. I notice the ones that protest the use of the dreaded 'Red Thumb' are the same posters that seem to have trouble self-editing.

In reality WHO cares if somebody clicked a red thumb under your post, posting again to complain sure isn't going to make it better.
    Proud scar wearing member of the Bold, Banned and Bitchen clique

17 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    DITTO!!!
    Now really. Someone "thumbs down"'ed my reply? Good grief.
    THIS is why I voted as I did. What in the world is wrong or upsetting or whatever in my "Ditto" to a previous post that is worth even the trouble of clicking the down thumb? And of course, no way to know who it is that dislikes "Ditto" so much.
    Does this mean I should never say "Ditto" again in another post for free of recieving yet another annomous thumbs down?

As others have said, this is really childish. So we are going to keep the stupid thing, get rid of the thumbs down part, or require that if someone "thumbs downs" a post that an explanation be provided, and who they are.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    I like the thumbs. It gives me a grin to get green ones, and I don't care when I get bad ones.

I think it beats having umpteen posts saying "I agree" and "I disagree". Because there are times that I do disagree with someone but I'm either not in a place to type up my reasons, or it's really just not worth the argument (slaughter, for instance) because I know I'm not going to change the person's mind.

I think they can be taken constructively, if you have an open mind.
    I don't even look at the thumbing list, that is now in the several hundreds, wonder how high will they go?

I don't think they mean anything, since they are without context to them, a guess why anyone thought good or bad of what you wrote.

No need to get aggravated by the reds, or happy for green ones.

If you have something to contribute to any discussion, there will be those that agree with you, those that don't.
    Who can say, from only anonymous thumbs to go by, what others think of it?
    Useless.

2 members found this post helpful.

I like it, but I think t should not be anonymous.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by caffeinated View Post
    I really just hate the notifications. When I see that I have a notification I always get all excited, thinking I've gotten a fabulously nasty pm or something, only to find a bunch of "helpful" ratings. Because I never get "bad" ones. No sir, not me.

I am SO HURT!!! omg! two "bads?" For this?!?

I'm going to go drown my angst with chocolate. HATERS!

"smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Default keep thumbs up, dump thumbs down

the thumbs up encourages positive contributions to the discussion, which strengthens this site. And cuts out the ditto's and this's which just stretch the page count without adding anything. Thumbs down is childish-- if you disagree, voice your disagreement like an adult.
    I would also be ok with having the user's name associated with the thumbs up.

8 members found this post helpful.

I also voted to keep the thumbs up, I like being able to agree with someone or simply enjoy their post without clogging up a thread when I don't have anything to add post-wise.

In the beginning I didn't mind the thumbs down, but now that I have seen the way people are using it, I feel it can go the way of the dodo, I don't think it adds anything of value to the threads.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Quote Originally Posted by Monica67 View Post
    Thank you Saje, 99.9% of the time it just isn't worth the argument.
    But how does giving a post an unappreciated rating add to anything? This is a DISCUSSION forum which means we DISCUSS.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

Thinking more about this, I really do see the red thumb as a "Disagree" rather than a "You're an idiot" as so many people seem to be taking it. I think if I posted something semi-consequential, (like saying I thought riding yearlings was the newest and best thing in training) and it received some WTF comments and a whole lotta red thumbs, I might step back and reconsider, and even ask the question "Really? It's bad? Why?" (And yes, for you literal minded people, that was an extreme and tongue in cheek example - I do not advocate riding yearlings!)

So I like the things. Not enough to pout if they go away, but I do think they add an inteesting twist to the boards

12 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Event4Life View Post
    But how does giving a post an unappreciated rating add to anything? This is a DISCUSSION forum which means we DISCUSS.
    Because as I said, sometimes it's the only input I can give, and sometimes I want to say I disagree but feel there's no point in repeating the same ol' argument.

Is a red thumb really any worse than getting a and no other comment? I'm still anonymous, you don't know me, I don't know you, and ten to one if I post on another of your threads in 3 weeks you won't remember that I rolled my eyes at something I thought was inane or misguided or whatever.

I really do fail to see the reason for the outrage and hurt feelings.

eta: I don't like the new rolleyes guy - he's not sarcastic enough!

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by HungarianHippo View Post
    the thumbs up encourages positive contributions to the discussion, which strengthens this site. And cuts out the ditto's and this's which just stretch the page count without adding anything. Thumbs down is childish-- if you disagree, voice your disagreement like an adult.
    I would also be ok with having the user's name associated with the thumbs up.
    Ditto! Er.... I mean "thumbs up". I also agree with Crackerdog with some of the mentality of posters giving the thumbs down for the most benign comment on a thread.

7 members found this post helpful.

So if you get a few "bad"s, why not post the question if you want to encourage dialogue?

"Hey, I see several people disagreed with me, what am I missing?"

Or step back, re-read your post and see if perhaps you are being unnecessarily harsh, or just being an @sshat in general. Not everyone is brave enough to say things online, even anonymously.

Hey, maybe it's the Mods who are sick of the crap who are giving all the thumbs down! (Sorry Mods, you guys do a great job!)

Lol. I've gotten a bunch of thumbs down notifications for not liking the thumbs down notifications.

So if you get a few "bad"s, why not post the question if you want to encourage dialogue?

Or step back, re-read your post and see if perhaps you are being unnecessarily harsh, or just being an @sshat in general. Not everyone is brave enough to say things online, even anonymously.

Hey, maybe it's the Mods who are sick of the crap who are giving all the thumbs down! (Sorry Mods, you guys do a great job!)
    Well, you could do that I suppose, but if the people giving the thumbs down wanted to elaborate then they would instead of giving the thumb. I don't see hardly anyone saying, "Hey I gave you a thumb down and here's why." Case in point, I got three thumbs down for the very benign post I made on this thread and I have no idea why it rated them.

Duh.THat is what what I did. And nothing back except now a lot more thumbs down. So what is WRONG with my "ditto" that all these people think is so negative? Or is one person clicking it over and over.
    Since as said before these are DISUCSSION boiards, let's discuss why a thumbs down on saying "Ditto" to the keep the thumbs up and let us also vote to say we would like get rid of the stupid notification alert.

BTW, is there any way to clear the notifications from one's "notification file"?

So, who ever thumbs down cowards are, show your faces for Pete's sake. I dare you

If thumbs are kept, I agree that it would make for a more mature and interesting forum if they were not anonymous any more.

Personally, I voted to get rid of the red thumb, but would also be happy if both red and green were gone. In any case, I would like to know who appreciated my posts, or not. And I'd like other posters to know when I've appreciated their posts.

I voted for "Nix it all." Thumbs are the words of little minds.

But otherwise
    Quote Originally Posted by findeight View Post
    Bag the thumbs down/bad concept. It's being used for simply disagreeing with a well expressed opinion-that should not get a thumbs down and a "bad" notation. This used to be a place for discussion from all sides and varying opinions.
    Why not add specificity to the negative fingers?

I like Lex's idea of the middle finger. It's distinct from the thumbs down. At least that's so for those with a large digital vocabulary. Oh, and you could add the peace sign-- the signal for a truce between warring posters?

Seriously. Once you get into substituting gestures for words, you either need to build a big ol' vocabulary or risk hurt feelings and uninteresting, coarse discussion because people only have, like, 5 words.

Thanks for the poll!
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by dilligaff2 View Post
    I like the thumbs. I notice the ones that protest the use of the dreaded 'Red Thumb' are the same posters that seem to have trouble self-editing.

In reality WHO cares if somebody clicked a red thumb under your post, posting again to complain sure isn't going to make it better.
    You are lucky I don't thumb, or you would have received a red one there with your unnecessary jab.

Do you realize that, if thumbing really mattered, it would stifle discourse?
    Even a simple "ditto" has received a red one.

What some think is lack of self-editing, others may think is speaking your mind.
    Your judgment there may depend if what is being expressed is something you agree with or not.

I think if you're going to get so worked up about a simple mouse click from some internet strangers that maybe you need to find something more constructive to do with your time.

13 members found this post helpful.

I voted to pitch it out into the dump, but would change that to acceptable if I could contact the wonderfully enlighten individuals who have sent me a thumbs down.... just would like to know what they were thinking and just maybe (not likely) be maybe we could come to a common ground.