The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

119 25.76%
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

JMHO:

I'm so glad the thumbs down is gone. It was obviously abused, even if by accident, which invalidated the whole system.

But, if we're not going to get notifications of a "like", then IMHO the whole system is worthless. I never go back to posts just to see if anyone appreciated it LOL I don't think most people do. And I honestly don't care how many people like something if I don't know who it is.

So, for me, anonymous feedback that you rarely see is useless LOL

I admit I have green'd posts just to indicate some appreciation without having to say "great post!", knowing they'd at least get notified someone appreciated it. But now, without them getting notification, there's no sense in my even clicking it.

3 members found this post helpful.

Hunh, so those old adages really do hold up over time:

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

What a world of special snowflakes we have become.

8 members found this post helpful.

i agree that it is awesome that we no longer have the ugly red thumbs, but i also think that not having notifications is kinda of pointless..... even FB lets you know when someone has "liked" your posts.....

I suggest re-installing the notification system (there really were only a few folks who didnt like that aspect it seems) and also i do think the entire system should not be anon, and finally, I agree that the wording is very confusing and that the wording should be consistent across all notifications/windows/etc.

i really do appreciate the Mods (and COTH in general) listening to us......

Maybe we could just get the notifications another way? I agree that without them the whole thing seems pointless.
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

1 members found this post helpful.

I think this is a great compromise, and makes COTH a better place than with the negative ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    Hunh, so those old adages really do hold up over time:

"The squeaky wheel gets the grease"

What a world of special snowflakes we have become.
    As if you and many other red thumb proponents haven't been doing your share of 'squeaking'??!

2 members found this post helpful.

Apparently not.

Guess we didn't get our feelings hurt badly enough by the threat of the thumbs down going away.
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

Snif. I'm wounded to the core. Shame on you for making it worse!

I'm amazed that so many got their panties in a twist over red thumbs. So what if someone disagrees or doesn't like your post? Is it really worth getting upset over? To be honest, I liked the ability to disagree with a post without having to write a dissertation as to why and possibly start a train wreck because heaven knows sometimes it's a crime to have a dissenting opinion around here. If I felt it might add to the conversation I'd post my POV, otherwise, nope, a thumbs up or down was fine. All it meant was you either agreed or disagreed with the post.

Thank you for getting rid of the red downer thumb,
    however..., why can't it just say "1 member liked this post" instead of "1 member found this post helpful?" A small detail perhaps, but nonetheless, when those are given to a cute photo or a witty quote, helpfulness is not what is being recognized...
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post

When I got Thumbs Down I just figured the person was on an iPhone and fat fingered my thumbs up Maybe I have an overly inflated self esteem?
    The first one me and my big piss mitt, man hands have hit the TD by accident. But I did inform the poster lol!

I am glad the TD rating has been taken down. Thanks MODS!

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Quote Originally Posted by Fourbeats View Post
    I'm amazed that so many got their panties in a twist over red thumbs. So what if someone disagrees or doesn't like your post? Is it really worth getting upset over? To be honest, I liked the ability to disagree with a post without having to write a dissertation as to why and possibly start a train wreck because heaven knows sometimes it's a crime to have a dissenting opinion around here. If I felt it might add to the conversation I'd post my POV, otherwise, nope, a thumbs up or down was fine. All it meant was you either agreed or disagreed with the post.
    That's where clarification in the language might have come in helpful. I interpreted thumbs down as, variably: "Somebody thought I was wrong," "Somebody disagreed with my opinion on this topic," or "Someone thought I was an asshat." It could have been any of the above. Since I never knew which was the case, I filed it under "don't care," but some linguistic clarification could have removed the implication that a thumbs down means someone just called you an asshat. Without that, fewer panties might have ended up bunched.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

So now does the notification tell you if you have a new PM? Or do you have to click on it to check for PMs?

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    So now does the notification tell you if you have a new PM? Or do you have to click on it to check for PMs?
    It will say "Notifications:1" if you have a new PM.

I also get a pop up if there is a PM

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Renn/aissance View Post
    That's where clarification in the language might have come in helpful. I interpreted thumbs down as, variably: "Somebody thought I was wrong," "Somebody disagreed with my opinion on this topic," or "Someone thought I was an asshat." It could have been any of the above. Since I never knew which was the case, I filed it under "don't care," but some linguistic clarification could have removed the implication that a thumbs down means someone just called you an asshat. Without that, fewer panties might have ended up bunched.
    Yes-- the problem is/was that up/down thumbs are impossible to interpret except as positive vs. negative responses. Positive is positive-- no problems there. We can all use an occasional smile/pat on the back.... Negative is different: though no one likes undecipherable slaps many appreciate opportunities to learn from corrections. The red thumb was strictly undecipherable slap. As many a great trainer has said "we need to welcome mistakes, because it's only from mistakes that we learn." But expression of negativity without explaining where the difference/problem lies accomplishes nothing except punishment/expression of hostility/ill will. No one learns anything. It's sheer brutality. IMO, that's why many COTHers found the red thumbs "ugly," got their "panties in a wad, and now (HURRAH!!!) celebrate, DING DONG, that the red thumbs are dead.

So, sigh, at last, we can go back to snarkiness as usual-- when we knew where different folks were coming from-- and who to put on our ignore list.
    Last edited by fish; Dec. 21, 2012 at 11:26 AM.

interesting - the number of "likes" per day has dropped off a clifff since the demise of the red thumb..... i think it took the wind out of everyone's sails so to speak.....

and honestly - without the notifications the entire thing is pointless.