The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

119 25.76%
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

You can check your "like" notification here:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/pr...?do=helpfulans

They still populate, you just don't get a notification about it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    interesting - the number of "likes" per day has dropped off a clifff since the demise of the red thumb..... i think it took the wind out of everyone's sails so to speak.....

and honestly - without the notifications the entire thing is pointless.
    It’s only pointless if you see the rating as some kind of popularity contest. This is COTH, not your personal blog, and the general tone of how you are received in a fairly diverse community will be reflected. Maybe you won’t know until you re-read one of your old posts that 50, 3 or 0 people thought you had something brilliant to say and that’s okay. The validation (or lack of) will still be there long after the feel good notification goes away.

I didn’t get a chance to vote but I would have said to get rid of the notifications either way. While I thought the red thumbs were useful, they were abused some and it lead to unnecessary drama. I’m fine with the old school method of sitting at the keyboard and rolling my eyes about things I don’t have the patience to get involved in. Anonymous either way and no one has to worry about a stalker who supposedly created 15 alters just to give them the red thumb.

2 members found this post helpful.

I am happy about the changes, but it would be nice if we got a notification that someone quoted a post.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I guess the poll isn't actually closed because I just voted by accident when looking at the choices again.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post

this is true, but once all the "bads" fall off the page - how will you be able to tell that you have any new likes? you wont unless you keep track somehow of the last post number that got liked...

it just seems like a pointless system now. and in fact i stopped using it.

eta: what i find interesting and i might of mentioned already - is that it appears that others have stopped using it too.... because i used to get many many likes/dislikes a day and now it seems like it all has come to a screeching halt.

super interesting for someone studying human behavior i bet

What is that a link to? I can't figure out where I'm navigating to

SmartAlex, it's the report of all of the last 50 of your thumbs up or thumbs down. Exactly the same thing as when you were notified of someone giving you a TU/TD on one of your posts.

The notifications of TU/TD have been turned off, so the only way to see what someone has given you feedback on is the above link or going to each of your posts and checking.

But can I navigate there without the link? The Notifications only takes me to my In Box now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bristol Bay View Post
    I am happy about the changes, but it would be nice if we got a notification that someone quoted a post.
    Why? It's not a snarky "why", promise I just can't imagine that being helpful to me. For me, my "notification" is that a thread I posted in has been replied to and is "new" in my Settings list (of threads I am subscribed to, which is automatically anything I post on ). So, if I go visit that thread again, I'll see anything that got quoted

What I DO wish would change here, if it can, is that nothing is marked as "read" until you ACTUALLY open the thread. As it is now, "unread" is anything since the last time you were here, regardless of what you looked at. None of the other 2 boards I'm on do that, no matter how many times I visit. If I haven't opened a thread, it doesn't get marked "read", period.

Now, because it works that way, I DO miss some threads I replied to, which have subsequently been replied to, maybe even something I typed quoted because someone want to ask a question, and I never see it.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Why? It's not a snarky "why", promise I just can't imagine that being helpful to me. For me, my "notification" is that a thread I posted in has been replied to and is "new" in my Settings list (of threads I am subscribed to, which is automatically anything I post on ). So, if I go visit that thread again, I'll see anything that got quoted
    I would like it. I sometimes lose track of threads. Especially if I'm away for a weekend or whatever. And sometimes I just get tired of a topic although I would gladly go back and discuss/defend my statements in particular. I wouldn't want anyone to say "well where is SA now? Not willing to back that up eh?" when I'm just weary wading through everyone else's crap.

Do you ever use the Subscriptions link? That's anything and everything you've replied to, unless you click "unsubscribe"

If you've been off for several days, if you click the Settings link on the left, that will bring up every thread you are subscribed to that has new posts since you were last here. If that gets messed up, then you can hit the Subscriptions link to show every thread you're subscribed to

I know what you mean about losing track and having someone think "well alrighty, can't back that up now can ya". But ya know, that's really their problem LOL

this is true, but once all the "bads" fall off the page - how will you be able to tell that you have any new likes? you wont unless you keep track somehow of the last post number that got liked...

it just seems like a pointless system now. and in fact i stopped using it.
    You will still get the ratings and be able to see them but it might take a little more effort. If it is important for you to know what an anonymous person thought of something you wrote, just go back through your posts every so often or follow the link Simkie provided. If you want someone to know that you appreciated their post, responding to the thread and/or PMing are still great options.

I don’t understand how eliminating the red thumb and the notifications that most people whined about has any effect on use of the green thumb.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Do you ever use the Subscriptions link? That's anything and everything you've replied to, unless you click "unsubscribe"
    I admit I under utilise the Subscriptions link. I'll have to try that and see if it's helpful.

ETA: Just checked and it only shows my actual subscribed topics. Not all I've replied to. I guess I'll have to be more careful about subscribing to some of the hotter ones.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    But can I navigate there without the link? The Notifications only takes me to my In Box now.
    You cannot. Which is why I posted the direct link.

Default Title Goes Here

If you put something in the title field of your posts, that title shows up on the "like" page next to the number. PITA to add a title to each post you make, but that would allow you to keep track, if you were so inclined.

(You do have to go advanced from quick reply to add a title.)

I wonder if the drop in thumb usage is related to the fact that the Off Topic forum is now closed. That seemed to be a hotbed of thumb activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Moderator 1 View Post
    This set-up should be pretty innocuous for folks -- you have to actually go to your post on your own to see if you've gotten a positive rating (so it is <gasp> kind of like Facebook in that regard ), but it gives folks a quick, non-repetitive way to say they've appreciated something you've shared.
    Thanks, Mods! This system is a big, big, big improvement. Much appreciated.

But I do have some feedback on this statement. The Facebook analogy is a broken one because on Facebook, one has the option of whether one gets pop-up notifications about Likes. This system appears to be all or nothing, and while I was weary of pop-up notifications, I wish there was somewhere deep in my Settings panel where I could see which posts had been thumbs-upped. If that's an impossible compromise in the BB's firmware then I understand, but I just don't think most folks are going to go back to their old posts to see if they've been "liked."

You cannot. Which is why I posted the direct link.
    Thank you. I'll save the link for future.

Quote Originally Posted by jn4jenny View Post
    I wish there was somewhere deep in my Settings panel where I could see which posts had been thumbs-upped. If that's an impossible compromise in the BB's firmware then I understand, but I just don't think most folks are going to go back to their old posts to see if they've been "liked."
    Bookmark this page:

An awkward but effective solution! Thanks!