The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: What do you think of the post rating system?

Voters
462. You may not vote on this poll
  • I basically like it as is.

114 24.68%
  • I like it, but change wording for "bad" feedback or "appreciate."

27 5.84%
  • I like it, but don't like the notifications.

38 8.23%
  • I like the thumbs up, but want to get rid of thumbs down.

164 35.50%
  • I don't like any of it; nix it all.

119 25.76%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Wasn't it Nero who used this for the ultimate price? The audience got to "vote" for life or death? Anyway, I think the whole concept of a thumbs up or down destroys thought process and reasoned discourse. Why do that. We have enough trouble with that in the world as it is, no point in creating another way of dodging reflecting on fixed notions. Maybe it gets a bit hot sometimes but so what?
    "I have brought on the hatred of Wall Street and I relish it".
    Franklin Delano Roosevelt

Seriously MOD, you made it post how people voted in the poll? Gee, great way for YOU to cause even more controversy, by your outting people on how they feel regarding this very contenentious subject.
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

I don't like it. I was surprised that people have gone back to old posts and did the thumbs up and down - mostly downs, but some ups for old posts. I find it odd and even though it doesn't matter really, it just gives people who want to annoy you another opportunity to think they have.

I think of COTH as having a certain integrity and high-level knowedge base. This demeans that, imo, and makes the entire board look juvenile.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    OK, I gave you a thumbs down on this post, because of the "tantamount to bullying" and the general level of hysteria.

Bullying? Really?? Yes I know bullying is a real issue, but so is the need for a thicker skin all around. A "bad" on an inconsequential post and you are wounded? Seriously??

WHY does it matter so much?

Good grief people, get a GRIP.

Reading comprehension. I said ALMOST tantamount to bullying. Not that it is... that it is ALMOST is.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

1 members found this post helpful.

The only good thing about thumbs is that when we discuss thumbs, it helps me identify who all the asshats on the board are.

Pre-thumbs if you would have asked me the asshat to non asshat ratio around here, I'd have said 10% asshats. Thanks to thumbs and discussions thereof, I now realize we're batting 500 around this place. Good to know.
    ~Veronica

who knew you could click on the percentages and see the screen names? (well obviously someone did, but i didn't so thank for that tip!)

cool thing: there are *so many* people i have never heard of! i think i need to get out of my home base more lol!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    The only good thing about thumbs is that when we discuss thumbs, it helps me identify who all the asshats on the board are.
    Yes. Yes it does.

11 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Seriously MOD, you made it post how people voted in the poll? Gee, great way for YOU to cause even more controversy, by your outting people on how they feel regarding this very contenentious subject.
    But I thought we wanted all opinions out in the open? Isn't that the basis of the bitching about the red thumb thing, that names aren't linked to the thumbs?

7 members found this post helpful.

Keep 'em, but they shouldn't be anonymous.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Some of y'all are putting WAY too much thought, emotion, and self-esteem into this whole thumb thing.
    According to the Mayan calendar, the world will not end this week. Please plan your life accordingly.

14 members found this post helpful.

Just a couple of data points for you:

In looking at the control panel options, if the post ratings are no longer made anonymous, the IDs of the raters are only visible to the person who made the post.

I'm not entirely sure how that would work if you disabled notifications for post ratings, for example.

We can easily change from thumb icons to YES/NO or +/-

Thanks for all of the feedback; we know the poll options aren't all inclusive...we can post another one that's more refined for follow-up feedback once we get a better idea of the big picture and what way folks are leaning towards.

Heck, we can even tweak things, do another trial period, and reevaluate.

Thanks again and enjoy the rest of your weekend.
    Mod 1

6 members found this post helpful.

I voted to keep it the way it is. I like being able to agree or disagree without having to quote the post and saying so, especially if I don't have much to add. Although I usually add an indication of what I don't agree with.

I don't mind getting thumbs up/down; I know people aren't going to agree on everything, and that's fine with me. That's what makes for interesting conversation.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

6 members found this post helpful.

There doesn't seem to be a choice for those of us who are good with the thumbs the way they are, or are equally happy if they go away. I suppose the Mods figure that those of us who feel way that don't need to vote.

I won't miss 'em if they go, but they do provide some amusement! Perfectly innocuous things get red thumbies - and I can only figure that the folks who give them are trying to make a statement that they don't like you or anything you say. Anything.

I expect they are the same folks that love to collect 10,000 "friends" on facebook, and feel validated by the number. I envision them obsessing about the red thumbies they receive (no validation there!) and assuming that other people actually care about red thumbies too. And that's where it gets so very amusing!

Liz

5 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

FFS, You posted a thread about that silly compression suit And I posted my opinion that it probably didn't do anything, but I guess if I owned one of the top race horses in the world it wouldn't be the worst use of my money to buy 1 of those suits for a 30 hour plane flight. It may be a waste of money, but stacked up against the millions, it's pocket change IMO.

On that thread, as I recall you had many good notifications on all your posts. Yay for you, I guess. I got quite a few red thumbs. I think the big difference here is I. Don't. Care.

Really, somebody didn't like me, compression suits, my opinion or all of the above. Ok... and? Other than kind of giggling at the mystery of the human response it wasn't worth much more of my thought or energy (compression suits. Who'd a think it?)

whoever said if you can't handle red thumbs, you're probably not suited for the internet was right!

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    The thumbs make no sense.

For example, someone started a thread saying she was going to Europe, asking for suggests on tack shops/brands. I replied and told her about a German brand I like, HKM. Someone neg thummbed it. WHAT DOES that mean?

1. Someone thought that was bad advice, that poster doesn't like HKM
    2. Someone thought it was incomplete advice, I should have explained more or given other options
    3. Someone doesn't like the idea of me throwing out suggestions at all, the OP should figure it out on her own
    4. Someone doesn't like me
    5. Someone doesn't like Germany at all
    6. Someone is annoyed that the OP is going on a trip and talking about it

Or a million other explanations...

The thumbs are wholly unhelpful. They aren't being used to truly "disagree" they're being used to say "I don't like you but I'm a coward so rather than say something-- I'll red thumb you."

And there's JUST as much piling on as before. Only now posters post something nasty AND go red thumb your post on that thread... and click your history and go red thumb all your past posts too out of spite.

It's juvenile, childish, and almost tantamount to bullying. I bet if it were linked to user names, OVERNIGHT you'd love 90% of the red thumbing. Overnight. If posters knew they'd be called out for passive-aggressive behavior-- they wouldn't do it. It's a supreme example of how mean people will act when they think no one will find out.

I also think it's turning this board into a really juvenile place. HSGF already exists if I want to chat with people who act like 13 year olds. Let's not do that here too.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

8 members found this post helpful.

DMK, no worries I get red thumbed all over. I am pretty sure certain posters just click on my history and go red thumbing me to be nasty. I don't really care except the notifications CONSTANTLY coming up drive me batty. AND If someone really truly thinks I have said something wrong-- I'd like to KNOW. I like discussing things and I often have my mind changed. But a plain old thumb with no explanation tells me nothing.
    ~Veronica

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by saje View Post
    But I thought we wanted all opinions out in the open? Isn't that the basis of the bitching about the red thumb thing, that names aren't linked to the thumbs?

Excuse you saje, maybe you want the Thumbs with the identifying names, but I have NEVER said I did. So do NOT include me in your personal statement of what is wanted.

I find the system way too gladiatorial. But then after having long ago read Colleen MCCullogh series on Rome, I have shockingly found the good old USA to be freakishly Rome reincarnated all over again.

Why keep this aspect of now yet another way to attack posters in a dogpile manner?
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Those of us who like the thumbs down already knew who the asshats were,
    I don't always feel up to arguing with your ignorance

11 members found this post helpful.

Gladiatorial indeed ThisTooShallPass! You certainly came up swinging to answer a rhetorical question.

I happen to like the thumb system as it is. If they decide to attach names, that's fine too, I'll still use it. If it goes away altogether, so be it. And I don't care if my name is shown on the poll or not. I don't care if people pile on or not. I understand if people disagree with me or don't like the me they see on the board. It's not that big a deal and it won't ruin my day or hurt my feelings!

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Excuse you saje, maybe you want the Thumbs with the identifying names, but I have NEVER said I did. So do NOT include me in your personal statement of what is wanted.

I find the system way too gladiatorial. But then after having long ago read Colleen MCCullogh series on Rome, I have shockingly found the good old USA to be freakishly Rome reincarnated all over again.

Why keep this aspect of now yet another way to attack posters in a dogpile manner?

8 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Meh - I am Switzerland on this topic <meaning Neutral.
    Did not see an option that suited me so did not vote.

I could care less who likes or dislikes my posts and find the Notifications listing bo-ring since it tells me nothing.
    The disappearing list of post numbers is useless unless you need to be reminded what you posted on a daily basis and frankly, I don't give a fig.

I'd prefer some repartee on the threads or a scathing PM from Lex or anyone else as long as the Ubercute Dog (or cat or horse or what-evah) pic is included.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

3 members found this post helpful.

Maybe, if we opt to keep the dislike, you have to write a reason whenever you "thumbs down" someone's post? That would probably get rid of the pettiness of the system and force people to think before they "thumbs down," as well as being constructive feedback for the poster.