The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wide tree saddles

Out of curiosity, what breed is your horse that requires a wide tree saddle?

Full foundation QH mare.....built like a 55 gallon drum....Had a 93 degree western saddle built for her, and then found that the Simco Arabian tree saddles fit just as nicely

You learn REAL balance trying to ride this mare bareback, in summer with short coat....do NOT use Show Sheen within 5 miles of her when trying this
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

XW Draft cross. Had a Morgan, a warmblood and a quarter horse that also required that width.

My Arab is in a County XW.

QH w/ modern lines, two draft crosses, a draft pony, and probably someone I'm forgetting...

My Arab is a wide tree. Short little guy, but he takes up my 33" inseam quite well.

A Friesian/Lippizan cross -- his full brother got the refined parts of both breeds....my guy got the heavy, dorky parts of both breeds....at least he's got a good brain lol
    To be loved by a horse should fill us with awe, for we hath not deserved it.

One Morgan in XW and the other in a medium wide, heading to wide quickly.

Believe it or not, I have three THOROUGHBREDS in wide trees--one in a medium wide and 2 with xw. One is a little fat, but the other two just have genuine broad, flat backs.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Tenn Walker ... round as a barrel. great for bare back. not so great to keep the saddle on straight. Can't mount from the ground, the saddle will slip around with just a bit of pressure in the stirrup. Positive side effect... I've learned to ride very centered.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cleveland Bay crossbreds. They have good withers, not freakishly high, but tall enough to hold saddle well, along with great width of the shoulders. Add in their very short backs that give them strength, and they are difficult to fit well.

The bonus is that when you find one saddle that fits well, that saddle fits all of our horses well, since they are so similar physically. They are chosen here, for matching each other because they are driven together, need to be similar to work well as matching pairs of horses or a Four in front of a carriage.

I do try each saddle on my horses, never would buy a saddle without trying it on because these horses just are not a "standard" fit, ever.

14.2 Connemara, medium wide hoop tree Black Country.

My 15.2 Westphalian is in an XW freedom tree Black Country, and there was some question whether THAT was wide enough for him. For awhile, I borrowed a saddle that was actually too wide for him (hard to find!), and it belonged to a 14.3 Welsh Cob!

Almost as wide is the 16.3 Trakehner/Dutch ... If he was still hunter fat, he'd be in the XW for sure, but since finding out he is insulin resistant, I keep him pretty trim.

Welsh cobs - all my Cs and Ds require wide tree saddles. My welsh cob crosses (one half morgan and one half thoroughbred) require xwide tree saddles.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

XW for my Norwegian Fjords and Oldenburg mare. I wouldn't know what it was like to ride a horse with a medium or narrow tree. The horse would feel too skinny to me!
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

15.3 hd QH with big shoulders, round back, XW tree.
    Lost in the Land of the Know It Alls

I have an Appendix Bred quarter horse whose if 15.2 and built like the typical bulldog quarter horse. I still struggle to get a good saddle fit on him and know I will have to go custom at some point. My regular quarter horse is the one who looks Appendix bred. I use FQHB on her.

Over the years... Arabian, QH, Paint, Appy, STB, 1 TB, MFT, TWH, Morgan, ASB, NSH, Welsh x, draft x, Icelandic.

17.3 Percheron = XW Duett (table-topped horse so the Duett works perfect)

15.2 Clydesdale/Standardbred cross = XW County Perfection ("propane tank" shaped, so needed custom County dressage saddle"
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

Irish Draught-xw County