The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dog messing in house

Do dogs mess in the house when upset? Or is that a farce? Say, a very house broken well trained 9 year old boxer, with zero health problems? A dog with a new people brother? Who only does it on the days I work, and she's not being left for any longer than she ever was ?
    Does my dog need therapy ?

What kind of mess, urine?

Is the dog drinking more than usual?

Wow, this problem seems to be running through all of your animals.

Has the dog been seen by the vet?

Have you tried clomipramine?

Nine is getting up there for a Boxer. Are you seeing any other potential signs of dementia?

3 members found this post helpful.

Older dogs can often get arthritic and lose control of their sphincter when they strain to get up. Especially on tile or wood floors.

If it's peeing, I'd get vet checked for UTI, crystals, and bloodworkup done. Cushings or diabetes come to mind.

Are you *sure* she's being left in for the same amount of time? It's easy to forget how often we put our dogs out if they ask when we're at home - I learned this when I became a SAHM. All I do is put them in and out.

But even if you are certain that you don't put the dog out more frequently, it could simply be that the dog can't figure out the schedule if it's not the same every day. I am home most days for most of the day. And even though I used to work a full day and the dogs could "hold it", I wouldn't expect them to be able to do this now because they don't have a routine.

When I put my guys out in the a.m. my old guy does a quick squirt and wants his breakfast. My young guy sometimes doesn't even remember to go. Then they go out again because I have time. If I changed that - and expected them to actually relieve themselves fully, I"m positive they would both have accidents.

I'd carefully review your schedule, and maybe start making things the same even if you're home - e.g. if your dog is crated for half a day if you are not home, maybe crate him for half a day even if you are at home.

Pee and poop. Not always though. No signs of dimentia. She just had her old dog check up with a complete blood work up.

She does have arthritis in the hind-never thought of that. And a tile floor.

She's not crated. Was years ago, but it's been about 4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Wow, this problem seems to be running through all of your animals.

Has the dog been seen by the vet?

Have you tried clomipramine?

Nine is getting up there for a Boxer. Are you seeing any other potential signs of dementia?
    Hmmm. No, no it's not. One cat who was super stressed.

WellI feel your pain-we have an aging Bouvier-he's at least 11, old for them I t hink and although rare, he has accidents (and big dog, BIG accidents!). The WORST though is that, unless my husband clips them, he has very long tail feathers. And "stuff" gets stuck in there. And then brought in the house and "shared" whereever he sleeps, lies down. BIG, BIG fun to clean!! The "aging/less control" would be my vote, but always good to get checked.

another potential cause of a dog "messing" when left alone is severe separation anxiety.

My little dog couldn't control her bladder when she got older. Maybe your Boxer can't hold it like he used to?
    You are what you dare.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleblackMorgan View Post
    Hmmm. No, no it's not. One cat who was super stressed.

Uh, what?

I usually don't split hairs like this, but come on. You've been very vocal about the problems you've had with your animals.

We had your cat pooping outside the box that was rehomed (how is he doing, btw?)

And we had your other cat peeing on tile and the dog bed, and was peeing on stuff again last time you mentioned him.

And now your dog is peeing and pooping in the house too. You sure have had a run of this.

As for the the dog, I'd restrict him to an x-pen or baby gate him in the kitchen or bathroom (some room with an easily cleanable floor) and try clomipramine and/or pain meds.

Why are you doing this?? What do you have to gain?

LBM, what's the house situation when pup is having these messes? Home totally alone or home with sitter/baby? I don't recall.

How is she acting when you ARE home? Is she anxious? Is she vigilant about baby?

Has her routine changed at all? As far as walks or outside time? Has "her" space been changed for baby?

If you can correlate this behavior to when baby came home, then it's not necessarily the cause but it could be a clue.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

A people baby is a big change, esp for a dog who is starting to get up in the years.

Can you put him out more during the day? Our dog's signs were very subtle, so we taught her to ring a bell (I got the idea off a post here, idr which one). We got one of those harness bell decorations from The Christmas Tree shop and hung it on the front door. We would ring the bells and say go potty! each time we let her out. She would do her business and come in for a cookie. It took about 2 weeks before she got the idea, and will ring the bells herself when she needs out.

When she first figured out how to do it, she wouldn't *stop* ringing the damn bells, but we just kept with it. Ring, cookie, potty, cookie. Rinse, repeat. We've never had a problem with her since.

Perhaps you are too wrapped up in the needs of your new little one (no shame, I've been there!!!) to be taking notice of your dogs signals. I bet if you teach him to use the bells (barring any medical problems) you'll be able to keep up with his needs a lot easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

I think that Simkie is seeing a common trend, and knowing that that is what's going on could better help those who are trying to help you get to the bottom of your situation. It is very strange for all the animals in the house to start messing. I don't think that it's a direct statement to you. We went through a period much like yours after DD was born. The stress of a new baby on animals, esp older or more established, can be great. We just don't see it because they are silent.
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"

1 members found this post helpful.

The messing with cats had nothing to do with the dog

Well, it's quite a change in the home. Much like if you brought in another dog or cat. So it's worth exploring if you're out of ideas on your own.

There's new noise, typically a new schedule, attention going towards baby instead of critters, new people in the house to see baby, etc etc.

Thank you, BuddyRoo.

I think that it *could* all be linked. Not saying that it is, but my guess is that 99% of the problems in all of the animals, unless there was a proven medical diagnosis (I'm not an expert), are related to the new baby. It's not a big deal if that's the case, and I'm sure that things will find a new rhythm. I'm not up to speed on the the situation with the cats, but will pop over and read the threads linked.

I wish you the best of luck. Animals messing in the house is beyond stressful.

LBM, you seem to be very defensive. Unreasonably so.

The only point I was attempting to make is that you sure have had some problems with your animals going to the bathroom in the house. That's it. I have no ulterior motives. I sure as hell don't have anything to "gain." I think it's really, really odd that you tried to deny that you've had these problems when YOU'VE put all that information out there for the world to see. Anyone who reads this forum with any regularity would know about your peeing cat and your pooping cat and the various problems you've had with them.

And now your dog is peeing and pooping in the house as well. You say she's been to the vet and just had bloodwork. Did you also do a fecal? How about a UA? If those weren't done, I would do them, soon.

If your dog is medically cleared and the issue is behavioral, perhaps you should really look to your management and the changes in your house in the past year or so. One animal with behavioral bathroom problems is an oddity. More than one is a trend. Is your one cat still peeing in the house? Of course all the baby stuff could be a trigger for your dog, but even your cat's issues could be stressing her, if they have not been addressed.

LBM, you didn't mention in answer to my question about her turnout/exercise schedule or who is in the house on these days that she has issues.

Do you think it's possible that it's just a scheduling/exercise thing?

My dog has been on the same schedule for most of his life. I get up, I feed, I turn him out, yada yada. As he gets older, this schedule is just as important for him as it was when we were potty training him as a pup.

I can virtually guarantee you that if he didn't get let out on the right schedule, he'd have issues too.

I'm not judging you at all--and frankly, I don't think anyone else is either. But it seems like there have been a lot of changes in your house and maybe you need to look carefully at the routine.

You've also had some sick kitties and it's quite possible that you're getting some additional anxiety from Miss Pooch as a result of that.

It's hard to say. Just brainstorming here and trying to figure something out.