The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Oh where, oh where has the antihist gone!?

I have been using antihist for my pony great success and just noticed that I cannot find it anywhere...

I'm guessing it is off the market for some reason, but does anyone know why?

Try searching for "Anihist."

haha well I spelled it wrong on here, but still the same problem; the anihist is gone

You are right--appears to be discontinued by the manufacturer. Bummer.

Some websites say it is on backorder, on others it just shows as unavailable. Have you tried contacting the company? It's still listed on their website. Here's their email: animed@ahcpinc.com.
    It is only through labor and painful effort, by grim energy and resolute courage, that we move on to better things.
    Theodore Roosevelt

I haven't been able to find it either and I'm starting to get a bit concerned for my older guy. Spring will be here before you know it and he can't do Trihist. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the crack down on OTC human cold/allergy meds due to the meth labs

If anyone hears anything, please post. I may contact the company myself too.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

I've used it for years on my horse with RAO, and also can't find any. I hope they bring it back, there are a lot of people who use it. My horse also can't do Trihist, I think it's the pseudophedrine.

Default Quick reply from Animed

Here's the response I got when I inquired:

Good Afternoon SkipHiLad4me,

Thank you for being a valued AHC/AniMed product consumer. We are extremely proud of our product line and back it 100%. We have voluntarily suspended production on ALL of our Antihistamine products due to an Administrative issue that arose following an FDA Audit. We have taken measures to resolve this "paperwork" issue and are very optimistic that production will resume shortly after the first of the year. We are currently compiling a list of all of our consumers interested in these products so we may alert them once production status has changed. We have already placed your name on that list.

The only place that we have heard of that might have any of our antihistamine products in stock is Tractor Supply. You might want to contact your local store for possible availability.

Again, thank you for being such a valuable customer and for your product endorsement.

My guy has mild RAO also and it tends to flare in the spring/summer when the allergens kick in. When we've been late in starting him on his Anihist before in the spring, he spent all summer coughing and wheezing and we had to go for a couple of rounds of dex just to keep things manageable. Very upsetting - I don't wanna go back there I hope it's back on the market soon. I haven't seen it at my local TSC but maybe some others out there have it.
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

1 members found this post helpful.

Have you tried 20,000mg/day of MSM as an alternative until you can get the Anihist back? Supposedly it can help with allergies in that dosage. I had a horse on Anihist 3-4 years ago (sensitive skin/bad allergies w/ sneezing and coughing/head shaker), and when I couldn't do the Anihist during show season I did the 20,000mg of MSM instead. It didn't work as well as the Anihist, but was MUCH MUCH better than how he was on nothing at all! Cheap and worth a shot?
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I thought I just saw some at my local co-op...I will be going there tomorrow and will check, I'd be more than happy to ship it to anyone who needs some.

1 members found this post helpful.

Goforagallop can be our new anihist dealer
    Hopefully it will be back soon! I already give mine msm so maybe ill try giving the pony the higher dose of that and see how he does..

Yes we double dose his MSM in the spring/summer months also. It definitely does seem to help him but using that in combo with the Anihist seems to be the ticket for him.

Any word on the AniHist? I know that previously that there was some information that the company would be starting production again in January.
    I am down to my last little bit and I haven't found a satisfactory replacement. I have tried Cough Free in the past and my horse will not eat it.

Should I just try a high dose of MSM and see if that works?
    I am going to put in a call to my vet to see what he thinks would be a good replacement. I'll let you know if I get any good information.

Anihist is BAACCKK!! Found it at http://www.doclanes.com/

Anihist is back, sold by prescription at http://www.doclanes.com/ the hold up was the FDA was requiring a prescription, but available now.