The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Question EPSM or PPSM feed suggestions needed

Hoping to try an EPSM/PPSM diet for a horse who has been chronically lazy to see if we can get an attitude adjustment and a bit more energy/oomph.

If anyone has suggestions of what diets have worked for their horses I would really appreciate your suggestions! In a boarding situation so hoping to find something easy for the barn manager to feed so I don't get branded with the "pain in the butt" label.

Horse is not keen on oil - while she will take it when surreptitiously snuck into alfalfa mash, the barn feed grain twice per day and she will *not* eat it with oil on it. Alfalfa mash is fed when we're up there about 5 days per week so not a full time 'grain' solution. We are in Canada and our barn feeds masterfeeds so have tried the podium feed which is low starch:
    http://www.masterfeeds.com/assets/up..._Podium_FB.pdf

She likes it - but only dry and not with oil! Currently being fed at about 1 lb pound twice per day (so 2 pounds per day, she is an easy keeper and looking very well on this). Looking for other suggestions.

Thinking of either switching to a ration balancer like this (easiest option as already in barn):

http://www.masterfeeds.com/assets/up...inTouch_FB.pdf

Question is whether one can feed just a ration balancer with no actual grain/ration to balance??

The rest of the food details for the masterfeeds line can be found here:
    http://www.masterfeeds.com/view.php?...trition/Equine

Or maybe trying the buckeye 25 to get the fat calories in her. Our barn does not carry this but I'm willing to make the effort to get a couple of bags in if there is a decent probability of her liking it and actually eating it. Anyone else also dealing with this and able to comment on whether the buckeye is considered yummy by horse standards?

Can we feed just a ration balancer (what quantity?) without causing issues?

Vet has been out, full workup including Lyme/bloodwork and no suggestions other than maybe try an EPSM diet...

Thanks in advance and input on how people actually make this work in real life greatly appreciated...

Mine are doing so-so right now on a diet of Haystack Special Blend pellets from Oregon, which have beet pulp, flax, and oil already in them, they're a moist pellet that is palatable. I have them on Cool Calories for fat, and had extra Vitamin E added, but cut that to see if it was making the difference I thought it was. I think it was really working, and plan to add that back in. I'm starting DMG and L Carnitine since we have a huge 3500 mile move coming up, and I need the two of them to stay in one piece (Heaven help me, I think I have an ulcer about it though).
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods

If she's an easy keeper, why feed her any grain at all? Feed her something forage-based like fat and fibre pellets. I think (could be wrong on this) that oil in the diet is for calories more than for treatment of the EPSM. If you feel the need for something with oil in it, you could try a flax product, or a rice bran product (considerably more expensive than flax). I think the point with the EPSM diet is to get the starch and sugars out of the picture, and go with a more forage-based diet.

In your case, I might try ALCar added to the current feed if oil is not a good option. A muscle biopsy is a good idea to know for sure or at least the mane hair test. If your horse is affected by EPSM then a diet with 20% of calories derived from fat "switches" the muscles to convert fat to energy vs using carbs for energy which can cause muscle damage. ALCar is supposed to "switch" the ability to use carbs for energy on without the deleterious effects. Probably not the best explanation... But if you do a search a few diet options should come up. Getting barn staff to do/feed what your horse needs can be a big obstacle. The very vigilant exercise program is equally important.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by draftdriver View Post
    If she's an easy keeper, why feed her any grain at all? Feed her something forage-based like fat and fibre pellets. I think (could be wrong on this) that oil in the diet is for calories more than for treatment of the EPSM. If you feel the need for something with oil in it, you could try a flax product, or a rice bran product (considerably more expensive than flax). I think the point with the EPSM diet is to get the starch and sugars out of the picture, and go with a more forage-based diet.
    Not exactly... The problem with the PSSM horse is that they cannot use starches and sugars to form correct glycogen chains that the muscle cells then break down to use for energy. The fat in the diet is to give the animal enough energy to perform. The reduction of sugars and starches is to reduce the amount of incorrectly made glycogen chains there are, and reduce the chance that the excess will then be stored inappropriately in the muscle tissue. So, the fat is a sort of a treatment, in that the muscle damage occurs when the animal exercises with no source of energy for the cells to use. Therefore, both reduction of sugars and starches and the addition of extra fats and supplementation to help the horse use those fats are both equally critical in my opinion.

I have seen an amazing difference in both my horses due to the diet I listed above, but the real test will be when I bring my dressage horse back to work in January. He's had episodes of mini-tying up every time I've tried to bring him back, so he's had 10 months off and a huge diet overhaul. I'll add back in the extra E supplementation and I am starting Apple A Day, DMG, and ALCAR this month prior to attempting to put him (slowly) back to work. My other mare couldn't hold up her feet for a simple trim or even to pick them out, she'd shake violently and almost fall over. She can now stand through a simple trim on all fours, and has gorgeous movement and chooses to trot around in the pasture instead of walk. It's been tough but rewarding.
    send some of their smart literate deer who can read road signs up here since ours are just run of the mill dumb ones who get splatted all over creation because they won't stay in the woods