The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Washington Post- Man Charged/w Cruelty for Dog in Car

Animal control officers, responding to a report, found a terrier in a vehicle. The dog was not injured. A North Carolina man was charged with animal cruelty.

Link here

How is leaving a dog in a car on a cool day animal cruelty? Nothing was wrong with the dog. Why the heck was the owner charged?!

My dog is left in the car frequently if I have to stop to or from class or if I'm combining errands (to a pet-friendly stores with those of a non). Sometimes I take a dog intentionally so they get one-on-one-time out of the house.

This happened in my county. Is someone gonna report me? From the little info available, this is ridiculous.

1 members found this post helpful.

Too few details to go on.

Was the dog tethered too tight to something? Was it extra skinny or excessively filthy? Had it been left in the vehicle for an extraordinary amount of time (like 8 or more hours)?

Just by how it's worded, it sounds completely bogus, I agree.
    Last edited by VaqueroToro; Dec. 13, 2012 at 03:13 PM. Reason: I can has grammar.

Please keep us posted if you find out more details. Agree, if it is cool, what is the problem? Geez, if I can't take my dogs places with me now even in the winter, I'm going to be really, really upset.
    "However complicated and remarkable the rest of his life was going to be, it was here now, come to claim him."- JoAnn Mapson

Cripes. Thanks for posting so I don't get charged with animal cruelty by taking my car ride loving dogs with me somewhere and leaving them, windows down in 50 degree temps, to say...the grocery store. Something I did yesterday in Fairfax county!!!!

Wonder what is really up with that? I just can't imagine that being animal cruelty. Not in this weather.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

There is no law against leaving pets in a car, however it is against VA code - and they say it in vague terms that require some thinking - to leave a pet in a car on a hot day as you are considered to be inflicting harm upon it. I don't remember what the weather was like that day but it might have been warm or it may be that the dog was locked in the car for an extensive period of time, which can also be considered a violation of the law.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Lex, it was yesterday that they posted it. Were you hot outside? I mean, I recall shivering a bit outside without a heavy coat. And in the car, it was very comfortable without heat or air. This is kind of eye opening to me as I am accustomed to taking my dogs with me when I can as I run errands....
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

That was a "crime report" which lists incidents that occur over a period of time. The incident in question was on December 1st, in the evening. It may have been a very warm day or there may have been other factors like the dog was found in it's own wastes, left in the vehicle for a significant period of time, or some other such thing.
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have,
    at this moment, been thrown up from below!

I can't find any more info. The thing is, a passerby would not know how long my dog has been in a car. More importantly, who gets to determine how long is too long?

Some field trial and protection sports people, among others, take their dogs to work and leave them in the car all day, exercising them intermittently. From the little info we have, AC needs better discretionary judgement to evaluate the scene for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Bicoastal View Post
    From the little info we have, AC needs better discretionary judgement to evaluate the scene for what it is.
    That's the thing...they give squat for details. There might be extenuating circumstances that we're (the public) not privy to for this case that might have been the real reason why charges were pressed.

And bringing up charges doesn't mean that they'll stick either. The courts may see this particular case as as asinine as we're all seeing it from face value and drop all charges.

Some of you people must be physic.

The only facts we actually know- A report was made about a dog in a car. AC responded and found a dog in the car. The dog was uninjured. A man was charged with animal cruelty.

That's it. There is absolutely no way to make any kind of informed opinion or extrapolate on how this affects anyone else based on what we actually know.

What we don't know- why was the report made? Was the dog showing signs of distress? How long had the person who made the report been observing the dog in the car? What was the exact temperature at the time of the report? Were there other factors there that could affect the temperature? Was the man charged the dog's owner? Was the charge directly related to the dog being in the car? And so on and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by VaqueroToro View Post
    Too few details to go on.

Was the dog tethered too tight to something? Was it extra skinny or excessively filthy? Had it been left in the vehicle for an extraordinary amount of time (like 8 or more hours)?

Just by how it's worded, it sounds completely bogus, I agree.
    I once knew a doctor who often worked all night at the hospital, and if it was cool she would take her dog and he would sit in her car all night long (with water, loose in the car). He loved to go - probably enjoyed it more than sitting in a crate at home.

It definitely would be interesting to know more facts about why the owner was charged with cruelty. I leave my dogs in the car as long as the temperature is cool enough. I recently went to the hair salon, which takes a couple of hours, and I had my dog with me and didn't have time to take him home first. I set up a bowl of water and a towel, and he slept in the car the entire time. The temperature was cool, so there was no danger of overheating. Now obviously on a warm day, I would never do that. I am on the conservative side, and if it is over about 65 degrees, then they only ride along if they don't have to stay in the car by themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    I once knew a doctor who often worked all night at the hospital, and if it was cool she would take her dog and he would sit in her car all night long (with water, loose in the car). He loved to go - probably enjoyed it more than sitting in a crate at home.

It definitely would be interesting to know more facts about why the owner was charged with cruelty. I leave my dogs in the car as long as the temperature is cool enough. I recently went to the hair salon, which takes a couple of hours, and I had my dog with me and didn't have time to take him home first. I set up a bowl of water and a towel, and he slept in the car the entire time. The temperature was cool, so there was no danger of overheating. Now obviously on a warm day, I would never do that. I am on the conservative side, and if it is over about 65 degrees, then they only ride along if they don't have to stay in the car by themselves.
    Agreed, not enough details in the report to make a judgement. I hope someone seeing my dog in the car does the same thought process.

When My Dobe is in the car, I get to check on him periodically. Even go for a walk. He doesn't get that kind of attention sitting in a crate at home.

PS: the back of the car is bigger than his extra large crate.

Quote Originally Posted by hosspuller View Post
    I hope someone seeing my dog in the car does the same thought process.
    That is exactly why this report drew my attention and I brought it to COTH. I don't have much faith in the thought processes of the general public. Joe Shmoe's thought processes seem further compromised when evaluating toy dogs (my dogs), which are considered to be either delicate purse-toted babies or stuffed animals.

Since it is cold anyway, I'll just cover crates when I leave my dogs in the car.