The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

ProChaps hands down! I used to ride 5-6 horses a day, 5-7 days a week and I've blown throw so many pairs of ariats, treadsteps (these are my second fav), grandp prix, etc etc. ProChaps are the only pair that i've found that don't wear out or stretch out (the pair I have now are just as tight as the day I first put them on!). I LOVE them.

I have Ariat Close Contact half chaps and they've lasted 3 years without looking bad at all. I don't take care of them either.

I would definitly reccomend the ProChaps! They are like custom - but not! Their $175 I think, but are well worth the price! I would definitly reccomend the competition half chaps!

http://www.prochaps.com/usd_en/proch...petition.html/

I had the prochaps. The were durable, but had one problem that led to two HUGE drawbacks. They come down very low on your boots. This makes wearing spurs a challenge, since the get in the way and make wearing, putting on, and removing them very difficult. They also come down so far that if you have to walk through any sort of mud, they get covered. As in, the mud sticks to the zipper and gets under the half chap between it and your paddock boot. I hated having to constantly hose off the inside of my half chaps and hope they were dry by morning (especially in the winter) I switched to Tredstep (the deluxe half chap) and like it much better. There is no stitching on the inside panel to wear out (like the prochaps). My boyfriend who rides about 25 horses a day turned me on to them because they last him about 9 months, which, I think, is fairly impressive considering the volume he rides.

the prochaps do come down low, they cover the laces and the heel. I just put my spur over the outside and it isn't much of a pain, but they do collect some mud if your trudging through it. They've still held up better than anyother pair I've owned.

Ahh I am back and forth between Treadstep and Pro Chap. I do think it would be a pain to have the Pro Chap come down so low on your boot, especially if it is muddy at the barn. I also wear spurs daily. They look so nice though! The Treadstep looks very nice also but I am worried the snaps will break off and then the zipper will start opening down at the bottom which is what has happened to my current chaps. Sometimes at the end of a ride my current chaps are all twisted around my leg from the zipper riding up. Decisions, decisions......

Quote Originally Posted by MoonLadyIsis View Post
    My boyfriend who rides about 25 horses a day turned me on to them...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Alternative1 View Post
    Ahh I am back and forth between Treadstep and Pro Chap. I do think it would be a pain to have the Pro Chap come down so low on your boot, especially if it is muddy at the barn. I also wear spurs daily. They look so nice though! The Treadstep looks very nice also but I am worried the snaps will break off and then the zipper will start opening down at the bottom which is what has happened to my current chaps. Sometimes at the end of a ride my current chaps are all twisted around my leg from the zipper riding up. Decisions, decisions......

The snaps are really strong. The snaps on bf's chaps last, usually he rides through the inner leg panel first. If I had any complaint about my tredsteps (I've had two pairs), its that the snaps are so strong, when your hands are cold it can take a few minutes to pry the snaps open, but I still love them...

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

has anyone tried the Profile tredstep? Looks the deluxe except it is their new synthetic leather. I have a pair of really nice half chaps I save for local shows (to save my boots) and I normally ride in full chaps, but thanks to some surgery on my arm, it's been really hard to manage the full zipper.

That will improve and I'll be back to full chaps eventually, but you know, today it's an excuse to go buy something, so there is that. And I figure they would be good for trail riding in general. Anyway, durable, inexpensive, side zipper, high enough not to have to put spurs on over the half chap are all I'm really looking for, but th eside zip is important. I think the back zip will be hard to manage for a while (LOL like I know for sure - I'm still only allowed to pick up stuff that is lighter than a pen - soft tissue injuries suck, but horse people know that better than most).
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

My Grand Prix leather half chaps are 10+ years old and still going strong. They are super comfy as a bonus. I'll never buy any thing else!

Well, I finally made a decision and went ahead and had my mother buy the Deluxe Treadsteps today at Dover. I tried on a pair of the XS/XT and they fit snug but I figured that they would probably stretch out a little over time and I would rather have them a little tight than too loose. They are very pretty though! Thanks for all the suggestions everyone! If these don't hold up to my expectations for at least the next year than I am going to order a pair of Pro Chaps.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    has anyone tried the Profile tredstep? Looks the deluxe except it is their new synthetic leather. I have a pair of really nice half chaps I save for local shows (to save my boots) and I normally ride in full chaps, but thanks to some surgery on my arm, it's been really hard to manage the full zipper.

That will improve and I'll be back to full chaps eventually, but you know, today it's an excuse to go buy something, so there is that. And I figure they would be good for trail riding in general. Anyway, durable, inexpensive, side zipper, high enough not to have to put spurs on over the half chap are all I'm really looking for, but th eside zip is important. I think the back zip will be hard to manage for a while (LOL like I know for sure - I'm still only allowed to pick up stuff that is lighter than a pen - soft tissue injuries suck, but horse people know that better than most).
    I'm curious about these as well...I've had them on my radar for an upcoming half chap purchase. Anyone tried them yet?