The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Best, most durable half chaps

My mother has asked me what I want for Christmas and seeing as my current half chaps have large holes on both calf areas, I decided to request some new ones. My current half chaps have only lasted a year. I would like to purchase some half chaps that have great leather, fit right, and are also durable. I have very long legs and skinny calves. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

If they don't need to be leather, the Dublin Easy Care ones are totally unkillable. I bought a MT when I should have gotten a ST and kept thinking "Oh, when these die I'll get the ST then" and THEY WILL NOT DIE!!

1 members found this post helpful.

My Grand Prix ones have lasted quite a long time, with little signs of wanting to die, lol. I've had mine for 6 years now, and they do fit a little looser than my previous ones, which were Tredsteps.
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

I just bought the treadstep pro2 halfchaps, and I love them. I, too, have freakishly long legs from my knee to heel, and the 13/18 fit great! The high Spanish topline would probably camouflage I they were too short.

I guess I can't comment on durability, but they sure are pretty!

ETA: I also have a pair of the ariat close contacts in an xs tall, and they too are tall enough. I've had them for at least eight years and they have held up well to riding 5-6 times per week. The only problem I've had is that the zipper likes to work its way downward. This is easily fixed by hooking the loop attached to the zipper through the snap. Ariat is the only other brand that make anything tall enough for me!
    Last edited by eventerdiva; Dec. 13, 2012 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Added info

I don't love Treadsteps -- I tried a pair of those on two occasions, hoping to save $. They stretched in all the wrong places, and just never fit right. I LOVE my Grand Prix pairs. I get the full grain leather and while the stitching will wear out over time, the leather holds up great, and a saddler/leatherworker can tighten up the stitching as required. I'm on pair 3 over the last 15 years, and that's with *heavy* use. The current pair should last another 5 years, but I'll get another GrandPrix set when it's time to retire them.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

I love my GrandPrix Elites minus the fact I have to replace every button on them due to rust. Everything else looks like brand new after 2 years of daily use.

I've been happy with the durability and fit of my Tredsteps, but the snaps are a PITA. I've had two different models and both have problems with the snaps.

I would like leather because I feel it is easier to break in than suede. Which Grand Prix half chaps are you guys talking about? I am liking the Grand Prix stretch leather half chap but unfortunately the sizes are not tall enough or small enough around the calf area for me =(

I tend to be very very very hard on my half chaps and I think the Tredsteps are really durable. I also like that there are so many fit options!

I don't have any personal experience, but at the USEA meeting there was a representative for ProChaps
    http://www.prochaps.com/usd_en/

The chaps seemed very nice (several people I know bought them). They have a very wide selection of height/calf combinations, making them almost "custom".

They claim they are more durable than other chaps.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I know you said no suede but my ariat suede half chaps are four years of heavy riding and still kicking. I never wanted suede but I got these for 25$ in my size and they have done everything I asked and more while still looking presentable.

I had the ariat close contacts for the past 9? years and like another poster said the zipper comes down when they get older. I used a hair band to fix that. In the two pairs I had that jointly lasted 9ish years (one 5 until they could not be repaired any longer and the other 4 until they died) and I rode about 4 horses a day seven days a week. Those lasted and they look great.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post
    I don't have any personal experience, but at the USEA meeting there was a representative for ProChaps

The chaps seemed very nice (several people I know bought them). They have a very wide selection of height/calf combinations, making them almost "custom".

I've had a pair for the better part of a decade, they still are holding up great, had to replace one zipper. I"m the opposite fit, regular length but 18.5 inch width. I'm looking for a reason to buy another pair, but these just won't die!

I love Pro Chaps...wish I could find them....
    The thing about smart people, is they look like crazy people, to dumb people.

I have a pair of Ariat Cameos. Full thickness of leather with a inner patch of leather as well. These seem to show no signs of wear. On the downside, they are warm, really quite warm and I have made jokes about being not needs a coat if I chose to ride across Siberia as they would prevent frostbite.

Quote Originally Posted by Janet View Post

A girl at my barn has been through 3 pair in a year. Mostly zipper issues but still annoying. I absolutely love my Dyon half chaps! I ride 3-8 horses a day 6 days a week and they are holding up really great and are over a year old. I am murder on halfchaps too so if they last for me I'm pretty sure they will last for any one.
    Spend so much time improving yourself that you have no time left to criticize others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jumphigh83 View Post
    I love Pro Chaps...wish I could find them....
    I think they are now only available on-line, becuase of the large variety of sizes.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by TEV94 View Post
    I tend to be very very very hard on my half chaps and I think the Tredsteps are really durable. I also like that there are so many fit options!
    Same here! Just ordered some and LOOOOOVE them. Tons of options, calf and height.
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

I have the ProChaps and they've been very durable for me. The zipper pull did break awhile back and I just added another zip pull, and then one day here recently the little end on the zipper came off...I managed to super glue it back and still using them! Mine are probably 4 or 5 years old and that seems pretty long in half chap life from what I've experienced in the past. I have another pair in reserve for when these really truly die, and also a set with fringe that only come out in the summer.

I've had good luck with Grand Prix leather, not suede, but the stitching on the stretchy part would all pop out, leaving scraggly threads hanging, and they ended up too loose, too quickly. But I sure liked the fit before that!

I have a pair of leather Ovations that are durable, well-fitting and very presentable. They are very flexible and after lots of wear and cleaning, fit like custom half chaps. I ride 3-6 horses daily and have had these chaps for two years and they show no signs of needing retirement soon, and no issues with zippers, slouching, etc. Best half chaps I've ever had and they were affordable too!

The Pro Chaps do look very nice and certainly have tons of different sizes!