The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainers: How do you pay your assistant trainers?

I am thinking about bringing in a good assistant trainer who compliments the riding program I have at my farm. The position would include teaching lessons and doing some coaching for lower level students at local shows. Possibly doing some grooming and work with the horses at the smaller "A" shows.
    How do you pay your assistant professionals? Do you take a small cut of their lessons? Do you offer any benefits etc?
    Just want to stay with what's average for the industry to start and then maybe bump it up a bit if she turns out to be as good as I think she will be.
    Thanks in advance for the replies

I pay my assistant by the hour. I try to give her as many benefits as possible, like coaching and lessons from me, and at least one or two good horses to ride daily. Once and a while I will pay for her to do a clinic or something. I pay her above board, of course, so I pay taxes and worker's comp on her. It's better for all!
    "A good horse and a good rider are only so in mutual trust."
    -H.M.E.

When I worked as an assistant, I was paid a monthly salary, plus I could keep all revenues made from my own clients (lessons or training), but was not paid if I taught "their" students lessons (such as when they were at shows). I received discounts when possible on things like hauling, clinics and such. I do not recall what I was paid as it was so long ago! I had no health benefits. I worked full time and learned a lot. Although I got a lot of horses to hack, I rarely got jumping lessons which was unfortunate.

When I had an assistant here, I paid her hourly for grooming/riding, but per student for lessons. I did not pay her for her time if she took a lesson from me, but didn't charge her either. (she was paid if she was on a training horse, but not for lessons on her horse, or one of my good ones). She was a part time contractor, so no health benefits.

A living wage Most good assistants will want to ride and show.

My trainers have paid their at home assistants straight salary with a raise at 6 months and 1 year then every year after that. That includes giving lessons to barn clients. Anything taking them off the property such as hauling or local shows is paid on an additional scale depending on what was billed to how many clients. They get insurance and even vacation...and T'giving, Christmas and New Years off if they are at the home barn-the barn gave up lessons those days due to repeated low turnout year after year, the horses get the day off.

On the road assistants are at the mercy of the show schedual and any buyers that might want to come try one.

No personal horses though until they have been there a year and then it is reduced board, not free.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

1 members found this post helpful.