The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bit for Horse with low palette/thick tongue

I have a horse that constantly sticks her tongue out. It is not out of stress or pain as we have had chiro, massage and acupuncture done on her and her teeth have been done recently. So discomfort does not appear to be the issue.

I have tried a figure 8 noseband and flash, she still gets her tongue out.

She currently goes in a single jointed slow twist dee which she likes but sticks her tongue out constantly on the flat. I have tried french links and lozenge snaffles and she keeps her tongue in more, but doesn't go very well in it.

What should I try next?

I wonder if this might help....how good are your hands?

http://www.adamshorsesupplies.com/Ko...FQWnnQod7RQAjQ

I just pulled this website from a google search - don't remember where I got mine but it worked well w/an OTTB who was similar to what you're describing.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

mullen mouth style bits usually work for me - nathe, happy mouth, etc. Also the myler wide barrel comfort snaffle is mullen-like but a little better for direction/steering for some horses.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Daughter's arab had the same mouth- she went really well in a mullen mouth....
    Kerri

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    mullen mouth style bits usually work for me - nathe, happy mouth, etc. Also the myler wide barrel comfort snaffle is mullen-like but a little better for direction/steering for some horses.
    lol DMK - the ball bit horse also went in what we called a hot dog snaffle...cheap version from the cowboy feed store!

My guy also has a low palette. I find he resists anything with a single joint. He's happy in anything with multiple joints, or with none. I alternate between a Sprenger KK and a Dr Bristol for flat work and low courses, with an occassional Waterford use if I need more brakes. If I need even more bit ( bigger jumping, fast-paced group trail rides, etc) I go with a rubber (non-jointed) short shanked pelham.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...

My old pony went the best in a bit that was not single jointed. His favorite was a mullen mouth happy mouth, but also went well in the myler wide barrel snaffle. Losenge type bits he just ran through, so I try to stick with the bits that don't collapse all the way and nothing thicker than the happy mouth.
    Proud to have two Takaupa Gold line POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

I had a mare with the same mouth conformation that you mentioned. I found that a Nathe bit helped as it was a mullen mouth to relieve any pressure on her pallet yet it had a bit of tapering to allow room for her tongue.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/nathe-...fle-7154p.aspx
    Ryu Equestrian & Facebook Page
    Sakura Hill Farm & Facebook Page
    Boarding, Training, Consignment Sales & Breeding
    Osteen & Gainesville, Florida.

My horse has a parrot mouth and I was told to use the lozenge type bit, 3 piece style and he loves that style.

Personally, I like mullen mouth, Dr Bristol, waterford bits on thick tongues coupled with low palates. Just a low palate I'd add french link, and something with a lozenge.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

My mare who has short teeth, a big tongue and a low-ish palate went well in a soft rubber mullen mouth or a HS Duo mullen mouth, but really seems to like the Myler I have her in now - it's a mullen mouth with a slight "port" to it. It just swells up over her tongue a bit to give her some extra space, versus laying flat across it. She went alright in the regular Myler mullen mouth, but tended to get just a little bit dead in it. I think it sat on her tongue too much when I picked up contact?

If you have found a bit your horse likes, you can buy a rubber attachement which turns a regular snaffle into this kind of a bit:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/wtp-d-ring-bit/p/X1-01784/

I have always called this arrangement a "butterfly snaffle" and it is designed to keep a horse's tongue ion its mouth.

The add-on is rubber. You wrap it around the bit and feed it back through itself. Not very expensive.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

My horse has the same mouth - low palette, fat tongue. Every time I go to a clinic someone gives me a picture of her mid-tongue-out. But mine just sticks it out & pulls it right back in. Does your leave it out? That would be a different issue.

I've talked to my equine dentist about her mouth confirmation and he says never put a single jointed bit on her (she'd told me that years ago), probably avoid ports, and look for a smaller diameter to give her as much room as possible. She's been in a version of this and most days she likes it: http://www.smartpakequine.com/herm-s...x?cm_vc=Search
    The link that was posted to the bit that looks like it has a spade going up against their tongue....not in a low palette horse! The horse would never find any relief from that pressure.

My mare has a low palette too and this is the first bit that i've found that she seems to enjoy. She has a very soft mouth too, so it may not work if you need more brakes

http://www.smartpakequine.com/jp-kor...x?cm_vc=Search

My 21yo mare has a smallish mouth and very long teeth now because of her age. I notice her tongue always seems to be visible in her mouth now. It seems she's running out of room in there. :-) I'm thinking of showing her in a happy mouth short shank Pelham so I'll have brakes and I ride in a Waterford at home. Any better suggestions for the ever shrinking mouth?
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

its palate...not palette, that is for your paints! LOL I have had good luck with both the waterford and the mullen mouth mylers on those kinds of horses.
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

If you are doing the jumpers, I would try a hackamore. My jumper has the same mouth and was never happy with any type of bit we tried. He went better with a very skinny bit (I think it took up less space in his small mouth) but it doesn't compare to the hackamore. There is zero resistance to it and he turns easier in the hackamore. I have been using it for the last few years and it has made a dramatic difference in his training and rideability.

Quote Originally Posted by cabby773 View Post
    If you are doing the jumpers, I would try a hackamore. My jumper has the same mouth and was never happy with any type of bit we tried. He went better with a very skinny bit (I think it took up less space in his small mouth) but it doesn't compare to the hackamore. There is zero resistance to it and he turns easier in the hackamore. I have been using it for the last few years and it has made a dramatic difference in his training and rideability.
    Unfortunately mine is a hunter.
    You don't scare me. I ride a MARE!

I'd try the forward port myler. It's a tiny port that's angled to offer tongue relief (what she's seeking) and accommodate her low palate.
    If you email Dale, he will write back quickly.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble