The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default OTTB Conformation Help

Hi everyone, I was just offered this OTTB. I'd be looking to make an eventer out of him, and was wondering if a couple people could take a look at this link and let me know what you think of his conformation. Thanks in advance!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91024419@N03/

The pictures aren't great, but, sorry, don't think too much of him. Very disjointed looking - like a bunch of mismatched parts thrown together.

4 members found this post helpful.

I think that once he has a top line and loses the hay belly he will even out. His legs look nice and clean.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

1 members found this post helpful.

I honestly was not impressed when I first opened your link.
    I still probably wouldn't pick him for myself, but the longer I look at him, the more I can see past the jughead and pencil neck.
    I'd like to know more about him. He is nothing special conformationally, but he isn't an OBVIOUS cripple. These pics don't really help, though.
    He is standing with his front legs too far underneath him, not sure if that is his conformation or just a bad moment in time.
    He has a decent sized hip and a decent enough shoulder angle.
    I wouldn't pick him, but he may clean up well.
    Is he the only one you have looked at?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickelodian View Post
    We jump horses. Over sticks. For fun.
    Never take life too seriously. Nobody makes it out alive anyway.
    Regulus RDL

Hi, thanks for the replies. I agree he isn't the nicest looking horse but I didn't see anything glaringly wrong with his conformation. I've looked at a couple others right off the breeders but they've all had something I really didn't like. I'll keep looking, though. I know there's a ton of OTTB out there I just have to know where to look!

More importantly how does he move? Is he sound and been sound? Whats his mind like??

I always maintain you can't make a silk purse out of a Sow's ear..But you can make a damned fine handbag.....

I'd care far more how he moved and how to work with.

He looks like he's been let down in field. They will not look impressive.

He generally looks fine. He has a cute face and nice eye that I could see. Decent hind end that makes be think he might have some power. I like his lower hocks and stiffle placement...that suggests he may have a good jump. He has a nice shoulder so may have a nice reach in his stride. His neck is tied on a touch on the low side so he may want to go more like a hunter--not always a bad thing, especially at the lower levels (Prelim and lower) in eventing.

I'd want to see him move but if he has a good brain and is sound, I don't see why he wouldn't be a fun project to make up into a nice eventer or show horse.

You have to look behind things...too many people get wowed by the slick package. This is a nice horse...and this is what nice horses can look like when they have been let down out in a field for a few months.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

7 members found this post helpful.

He looks typical of OTTBs that have been let down in the field. If he is sane and sound he is likely a good prospect.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, what are your expectations? While he doesn't shout "Burghley" to me, there's nothing I see that would stop him from being a very serviceable lower level eventing mount. If he is smart, sound, and has a temperament suited to your riding, then he could do fine. If you're not looking to be your advanced horse, as long as he's sound, I'm sure he'd do just fine trucking around the lower levels.

Hi, I'm really not looking for a lower level horse. Though I know it will take time, I've been riding long enough I'd like a prospect that I could take up the levels with me. How should his conformation have been different do you think to have made an upper level event horse?

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    Hi, I'm really not looking for a lower level horse. Though I know it will take time, I've been riding long enough I'd like a prospect that I could take up the levels with me. How should his conformation have been different do you think to have made an upper level event horse?

Only thing different that would make him scream more UL horse is a higher neck set. But honestly....I've been to 4* events where there are horses with his basic structure.

What makes them UL horses is their heart and mind. You can NOT tell that from a photo or by looking at a green horse that has been sitting in a field pulled in for a few snap shots.

His muscling will change with proper work so much so that he may look like a completely different horse.

I personally get a better feel watching them move free, and then feeling how they are to ride.

Best advice I've every gotten....stop looking for perfect. He may or may not become your dream horse. But if you can learn form him and bring him a long...he will help you on your way.

But if you really want to look at what screams more UL...I can find you some photos of some sport bred youngsters...but guess what. They are going to cost you a hell of lot more than an OTTB---I have a 2012 baby priced at 15K because it isn't worth less for me to let him go. I can also find you some pictures of horses that just ooozed quality....yet you couldn't ride a circle on them or jump 2' because they had a screw loose.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

Hi, some pictures of horses that look to be UL material would be great. I'm still learning all this conformation stuff as I've always just leased and its never really mattered. Thanks for your help!

Go look at some of the shots of the FEH or YEHs....some nice horses there.

This is one is mine the year he was Grand Champion as a 3 year old.....he wasn't cheap even as a youngster. But he has a great hind end and huge shoulder. But he is only 1/2 TB.

I'll try and post a picture of a couple of OTTBs of mine that look to have the stuff before they were re-started.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	feh_679.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	103.5 KB 
ID:	37333  

Quote Originally Posted by horsenic View Post
    I've learned a lot from looking at the various conformation critique threads. If you put "CANTER cutie" in the search box you'll find many of them.
    Shut up! You look fine! --Judybigredpony
    Ms. Brazil

Here's one. 6 year old pulled out of the field (but not winter). So more typical picture you see. I went to try her out, liked her look in person, loved the way she moved and felt undersaddle (I was the first to sit on her since racing).

She is much nicer in person. I liked her type and she has proven to me that she has the jump (REALLY good jumper), movment and mind to go as far as I want. I've had more than one pro rider comment on her (and Jimmy Wofford gave her thumbs up)....she screams UL when you see her go (especially jumping) but whether she will....too early to say.

Name:	Rox1.jpg 
Views:	171 
Size:	85.3 KB 
ID:	37334  

Bornfreenowexpensive, I love your two prospects!!
    I agree that how he moves, his temperament, and soundness WILL make a difference, however, the OTTB BFNE posted is more appealing to me, of course, a lot of that is her neck set and length in comparison to your boy.
    I think you will need help finding an OTTB that has UL potential (I know I would want an extra set of eyes!). It takes an eye, experience, and luck...and then it still may not work out! So if you can, get a trainer or a friend with a better developed eye to come with you to check this guy out moving.
    Regulus RDL

Thanks Kryzlstoff!

This is my other OTTB prospect. Too early to tell on him but he has a great mind, good mover and the little bit that we have jumped has looked good. He is a nice type as well with potential. Probably one of the most "uphill" TBs I've ever sat on. Pictures really don't show it all....and horses can look very different in person.

You best bet is looking at horses like these at places where you can watch them move and sit on them. These two were ones that, yes, I saw photos...but it was when I went in person and saw them move and sat on them that caused me to write a check (and do a PPE).

So because pictures can be a bit misleading....OP, go look at the horse you posted in person. There were enough things that I liked in the photo that I would go see him in person.

Name:	015.jpg 
Views:	119 
Size:	194.0 KB 
ID:	37335  
    Last edited by bornfreenowexpensive; Dec. 13, 2012 at 09:50 PM.

Here is one that was posted on another thread that I would go look at

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=342

I also like this one but he is a bit small for me (I'm tall)

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

Quote Originally Posted by bornfreenowexpensive View Post
    Here is one that was posted on another thread that I would go look at

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=342

I also like this one but he is a bit small for me (I'm tall)

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=279

I drooled over the regal beagle, gorgeous horse. The 2nd one I emailed a friend of mine in MD about. She called and thinks he's sold but will check again Friday. Love those sturdy war horse types; they're sound, sane and with a decent sense of humor.
    "Drawing on my fine command of the English language, I said nothing" - Robert Benchley
    Buildingthegrove.blogspot
    The Grove at Five Points

Bornfreenowexpensive, I love your taste in horses!!
    OP, drag BFNE along with you to go horsehunting!
    Regulus RDL

2 members found this post helpful.