The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rawhide chews....for cats?

I DO plan on calling the vet about this, but I wanted see if anyone else had done this for their kitties.

My 8 month old kitten absolutely loves anything stick-like. Q-Tips, pencils, my bamboo knitting needles (), etc. Every time I go to the pet store to pick up food, I go by the dog isles and take a look at the skinny rawhide chew sticks and wonder if they'd be safe for a cat to play with. I don't see him chewing-to-destruction like a dog would, but I do see him carrying it around, tossing it about, pawing it, etc.

Are rawhide anythings safe for cats or would it cause issues?

Have you looked at the longer cat toys that are often catnip-filled, with an outer covering that is soft but abrasive at the same time, intended for chewing and cleaning teeth?

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Have you looked at the longer cat toys that are often catnip-filled, with an outer covering that is soft but abrasive at the same time, intended for chewing and cleaning teeth?
    Yes, and he has a few (I think they're made by Petstages -- have a thin mesh netting over a thin cloth tube that's made into a shape) that get put into the toy rotation, but he gets bored with them quick.

I need to lure him away from trash can diving for Q-Tips with something similarly fascinating.