The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Recommendations for CDE's

I'm trying to plan our 2013 show season (as our work holidays are booking up already!) and I would love to hear from all of you what are your favourite CDE's and why. We are trying to find something different than we have already done....
    We have done Iron Horse (which is now gone), the Laurels (which is now gone though we did do the Glen Willows show last year- which we had a lot of fun doing. It is not up on the ADS website though for this year so I'm not sure if they are holding it again or not), Bromont, Metamora (but we have done this show for the 8 past years so we are looking for something different), and we have gone as far south and competed in the Southern Pines CDE (though we are not planning on going as far as NC). We talked in detail to the staff of the Kentuck CDE but the grounds had too many rules and we felt like it might be difficult to show there, so that show is out for us.
    We like to do the full 3 day CDE's, so the HDT's are out for us. Does anyone have any other ideas? We are coming from Canada (Ontario, just north of Toronto) so please keep that in mind....
    I would also be interested in some pleasure shows. I was thinking of either East Aurora or Lorenzo but have been to neither of those shows. Anybody have any imput on them or any other pleasure shows?
    Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by DiamondJubilee; Dec. 13, 2012 at 09:24 AM. Reason: added pleasure driving shows

The 3 Florida CDE's. Jan., Feb., March.

Just curious what rules you thought made KY seem difficult. I know some people that showed at KY and no one mentioned anything. I was on the course a few days after the one in OCT with a horse and carriage and still didn't notice any rules that I thought would be out of the norm.

Default Hermitage Classic

Come on down to the Hermitage Classic! we have had several competitors come down from Canada, we'd love to have you Sept 13-15, 2013!

China Doll - The rules were the park rules and had nothing to do with the show as we really wanted to do that show (we went to WEG to watch the combined driving and the marathon happened to be on my birthday. It was the day my husband proposed to me - on the course - so we thought it would be amazing to do!). We like to work out of our 40ft live in trailor - we set up the back with all the harness, set up 2 tents to put the carriages under etc. The trailers had to be in the parking area which is no where near the stabling so we would have to rent another stall for the harness, feed etc. We were not allowed to bring our 4 wheeler, but we could rent one of their golf carts. We would have to drive our truck back and forth to the stalls to feed etc. It was just a bit of a hassle, thats all. The grounds are beautiful and we loved the course, it was just going to cost us more than $500 extra to do that show because of the golf cart rental and the extra stall. We did Glen Willows instead since we were able to have the set up we like....
    DQ - Where is the Hermitage Classic? I've not heard of this one yet
    We would love to do FL but we tend to give the ponies the winter off as we have no indoor so they are not in shape. We would have to be in Florida for a bit to get them in shape first. I would love to do that but my work would not be happy lol!! Plus I have 2 other ponies at home so finding a sitter might be hard for such a long time.....We do have a few friends that do that circuit and love it....Maybe one day.

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJubilee View Post
    China Doll - The rules were the park rules and had nothing to do with the show as we really wanted to do that show (we went to WEG to watch the combined driving and the marathon happened to be on my birthday. It was the day my husband proposed to me - on the course - so we thought it would be amazing to do!). We like to work out of our 40ft live in trailor - we set up the back with all the harness, set up 2 tents to put the carriages under etc. The trailers had to be in the parking area which is no where near the stabling so we would have to rent another stall for the harness, feed etc. We were not allowed to bring our 4 wheeler, but we could rent one of their golf carts. We would have to drive our truck back and forth to the stalls to feed etc. It was just a bit of a hassle, thats all. The grounds are beautiful and we loved the course, it was just going to cost us more than $500 extra to do that show because of the golf cart rental and the extra stall. We did Glen Willows instead since we were able to have the set up we like....
    We would love to do FL but we tend to give the ponies the winter off as we have no indoor so they are not in shape. We would have to be in Florida for a bit to get them in shape first. I would love to do that but my work would not be happy lol!! Plus I have 2 other ponies at home so finding a sitter might be hard for such a long time.....We do have a few friends that do that circuit and love it....Maybe one day.
    Regarding the "rules" at KHP...
    We have shown there for going on 10 yrs now. Mind you as eventers, not drivers. But we did go to the National Drive this year so have now gotten to experience it that way.
    We have a trailer as big if not bigger than yours so I feel your pain regarding size, etc. BUT...
    If everybody parked their rigs of that size, and set them up and used them like you describe, there would be no room for anything else on teh park property. And remember, there is usually more than just "your" show or activity going there. Plus all the tourists comign thru. Personally, given the number of tourists comign thru there, I would not want to have to work out of my trailer--too much chance of something disappearing. Heck, entire RIGS have disappeared from there due to vast number of people going in and out and no way to know if that really is your trailer you are pulling, etc.
    There is no SPACE for people to park rigs near the barns and work out of them. I don't know if at the WEG you were allowed back where the stabling is, but it gets cozy with horse, people, etc.
    As for the 4-wheeler rule...Thank kids for that one. Way back when they were allowed. Then they got "abused" and people (not just kids really) drove them all over the park property. Resulted in the ground getting torn up and 4-wheelers being driven places they had no business being. And way too fast. Then there was an accident, and someone got hurt. And guess who got sued? Yup, the park. Easy fix: Ban them.
    You can rent a golf cart from Dever's. Not a big deal. Or bring your own.
    Or bring a bike to go back forth from your trailer to the stall with. Or, WALK (exercise? ) Or, like you said, drive the truck back and forth. Not a huge deal. We managed it with either our dually or our Freightliner before we had our golf cart. Or, go in with some other people and rent a golf cart together and share it.
    As for a getting a tack stall...I guess I just grew up working out of a tack stall. And would rather than work out of the stall than the trailer. Heck, everything is right there, you can hang out, etc. Put a chain and lock on the stall at night if you are worried about things walking off.
    Remember, the KHP is a very large public facility that caters to a lot more than just driving, and to just a few shows a yr. They have to make "rules" to make it flow and work for everybody.
    Of all the places I have shown over the past 40 yrs. KHP is at the top of the list for efficiency, ease of use, safe, etc. Devers is great to work with regarding carts, feed, bedding, etc. No stalls to strip before you leave. Lots of water spigots available. Electricity for each stall that is reasonably reachable (need short ladder or something if you are only 5'2" though), muck pits are emptied daily, wash racks are good (not great but for a show grounds, pretty darned good), stalls are safe and comfy even if being on asphalt (plan 5-6 bags per stall) that even our 17+ hand horses fit in easily, and if you are on the ball you can get turn out space too!!
    As for the money, I unfortunately write it off the cost of keeping a facility like that kept up and available for us to use. Plan and budget ahead. And seriously think about sharing a cart with someone else.
    Try it. I bet you will like it

Oh, I know the park is huge and there are always lots going on there (multiple shows at once). I don't disagree that if people could park near the stalls that it makes for a tight space! We were not mad or upset with the park for their "rules", it just didn't suit our needs. We enjoy working out of our trailer as we set it up like home and hang out there. We have a patio, lights, chairs and we bring our dog who stays at the trailer, I would just rather hang out at our trailer than the stalls, its just how we like to do our shows Especially when we pay so much for our trailer and use it very little, we like to try and use it as much as possible.
    I can totally see how some kids can ruin a good thing, but we can do all of our other CDE's with our 4 wheeler and not have to pay for a golf cart. Again we paid enough for our 4 wheeler and don't use it often. I don't mind walking (trust me, if you've ever been to Bromont and the stabling is on a hill, I did that several times a day, no complaints from me!). The only time we really use the 4 wheeler is for going around the course, as we like to drive it as many times as we can (weather permiting of course!). I just thought that we would have to use it at the park as it looked like the trailer parking is far away from the stabling. When we went to WEG we didnt see the trailer parking so I'm not too sure where it is in relation to the stalls, I just looked at the map.
    We do plan and budget a year or two in advance, but when we can do, in my opinion, just as nice of a show for less, why wouldn't we do it?
    I have known a few people who have showed at the Kentucky CDE and have no issues with anything, and they loved it! We would never say to anyone not to go there, it just wasn't for us, thats all...I'm in no ways complaining about the park and I'm sorry if you felt that my post was worded that way. It was not my intention at all.

Diamond, I didn't take it as you "bashing" KHP at all. Just trying to "convince" you to try it (you might like it? )

Trailer parking and hook up parking are 2 different things at KHP. If you are staying in your trailer, you will have to be in the campground. Warning: Our trailer is huge like yours. Be sure to look on the website for the KHP website to look at the sites to be sure you can get your trailer into easily. Some are easier than others!!
    The campground entrance is up by the polo fields. I don't know if you remember where that is/was from when you were at WEG. But it is a hike from the stabling.
    You will prob find that at KHP most people do hang out at their stalls. People put out chairs, tables, even flowers, etc and that becomes the social site for them at the show. Esp if you have a tack stall cuz then you have exta room to spread out.
    Regarding tack stalls, again, see about spiltting one with somebody. Just be sure to request being stabled together!!
    Like you, we have a huge trailer with LQ and all that we use way too few times a year for what it cost us (and we bought it used!). At shows where we can park near the stabling, we take advantage of doing so and use the trailer as the focal point of our social stuff. But at KHP everyone uses the horses and stalls instead. You still don't have to deal with hotel bills and such. Only diff is you are hanging out at the barns with everybody there instead of at your trailer. And if you need to get away from it all, you have peace and quiet back at the campground. The campsites also have BBQ grills :-)
    Oh, if you wind up your own GC sometime, you prob won't have to buy a premit for it at KHP. Lately they have not enforced it and I couldn't even make anybody take my money to purchase one at either Devers or at the campground office

BUT do book yoru campsite way way in advance. They really fill up on during horse shows cuz there are also "regular people" camping too. We already have ours booked for the National Drive next yr (2013). Heck, you can always cancel it.

Come on down and join the fun. You will be hooked! (no pun intended)

I have heard good things about Chapter One, Gladstone is a classic, Elk Creek is good but VERY hilly and hot so make sure pony/horse is super fit. The horse park in NJ is the venue of Garden State CDE and while I am not a fan of the stabling. (its 'open' as in board up to 4 feet then chain link fencing for another 5) so there is lots of squeeling, and kicking, I always bring tarps to put up to make a "wall". And if its windy the whips through the 'open' stabling and its really cold for the horses to just stand in a 10x10 with no hay to burn.

If you could do Southern Pines CDE I would since its the National singles championships so it will be a great competition.

Have fun planning your summer !

If I remember correctly, during WEG the driving dressage was in the polo fields and the camping was just down the hill that you had to walk up to get to the dressage arena. If that helps you figure out where the camping is.

Quote Originally Posted by MunchingonHay View Post
    I have heard good things about Chapter One, Gladstone is a classic, Elk Creek is good but VERY hilly and hot so make sure pony/horse is super fit. The horse park in NJ is the venue of Garden State CDE and while I am not a fan of the stabling. (its 'open' as in board up to 4 feet then chain link fencing for another 5) so there is lots of squeeling, and kicking, I always bring tarps to put up to make a "wall". And if its windy the whips through the 'open' stabling and its really cold for the horses to just stand in a 10x10 with no hay to burn.

If you could do Southern Pines CDE I would since its the National singles championships so it will be a great competition.

Have fun planning your summer !

ETA: I know that some of these are HDT's but they are in the east coast so not too, to bad.

Also, I would hands down do Elk Creek for the simple fact that its run during Fair Hill which is a great show and see some fab riders.

Thanks for all of the suggestions! I'm going to be looking into all of the shows that have been recommended

Quote Originally Posted by DiamondJubilee View Post
    I went to the national drive and ended up sharing a tack stall as I didn't have one. I did splurge on a golf cart. If I go again the tack stall would be 1st on my list and I could easily do with out the golf cart at the rates trhey charge. I had my trailer in the camp ground for electricity but other that keep trailer there show out of it successfully and didn't think working out of the trailer was an issue.

We love Little Everglades, and Southern Pines (right in my backyard) is a great event. Have heard lovely things about The Hermitage from my trainer who was an official there last year and we plan on putting it on our to-do list this year.

FYI, Elk Creek does not run during the Fair Hill CCI ***/**. They stopped doing both at the same time several years ago. Elk Creek now runs in June.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post

FYI, Elk Creek does not run during the Fair Hill CCI ***/**. They stopped doing both at the same time several years ago. Elk Creek now runs in June.

Yes of course, you are correct. I went to the ADS site and website for Elk Creek and its still the fairhill show website, and the website for the fairhill shows Elk Creek. I forgot the riders were getting upset about the carriages.