The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Midwest OTTB Connections?

My friend sadly has to retire her horse due to bone chips in his stifles. We are looking to find her a cheap horse to pursue up to Training level eventing on. Since she can't sell him and her current vet bills are steep we are looking for a diamond in the rough! Anyone know of any good OTTB connections in the Midwest? We know of CANTER but that's it. I'm sure someone has a stash of turned down OTTB's around here, right?! :-D. Seen any CANTER cuties lately?!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

1 members found this post helpful.

So....the Midwest is a pretty huge place. How far is she willing to go?

Since it sounds like she can't afford another heartbreaker, Friends of Ferdinand in Illinois might interest her. They put 30 to 60 days of under saddle work on their horses, so they know them well and the horses have usually shown their preferred "jobs" by then. For example, this girl is appealing at just $1000:
    http://www.friendsofferdinand.com/ad...ght-available/

They also do track listings. http://www.friendsofferdinand.com/horses-for-sale/

I bet if you added to your title "(Chicago maybe)?", you'd get more relevant folks. I'm pretty sure Chicago is your nearest TB race tracks, so there's got to be some good OTTB stuff going on in northern Illinois.

I know Columbus, OH probably seems really far, but New Vocations' adoption fees are so bargain-basement low that they may offset the cost of extra shipping/hours in the trailer. They sometimes have nice event prospects for cheap.
    http://www.horseadoption.com/thoroughbreds/?SORT=Ohio

Good luck! OTTBs are the best!

Hey Kegger, how big does she need? I just heard of an unraced, quiet 3 year old available, but I believe she is under 16 hands.

Must she have a tb? There are some good buys on standardbreds available in MN and WI.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

2 members found this post helpful.

under over range would help because w/ in reason factoring in Vetting and shipping you can be limited to Free or under $500.
    Some of us have resources and can/might help w/ more details..PM me....

I second new vocations!

I know you say buy not lease, but just FYI, there's a recent post in the horseless riders thread about a young warmblood suitable for dressage/eventing available for off-site lease in WI. Might be a nice way for your friend to save up some dough while still having a mount for next season.

Thank you guys!! You are all helping her feel much better about her current situation! She checked New Vocations and they did a half off sale this month and only two are left! She loves the grey jn4jenny posted! Her video looks great except her hocks torque a bit in the video. We are new to what to expect from an OTTB. Is this a concern? Here's her link:
    http://www.friendsofferdinand.com/ad...ght-available/

Thanks for all the help! Keep it coming! :-D
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

The video is to small to tell from the video, she looks perfectly fine, and if vetted by them you should be able to have your vet review any x-rays.
    Do read all the details in any contract from and Adoption Agencey and make sure you are 'buying" your horse free and clear...or at least I would...Best of Luck...

3 members found this post helpful.