The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default In a hunter hack class... *Pictures added

Is it preferred to have your horse more on the bit/in a stretchy big trot, or on light contact going naturally with the neck/head a little higher and the nose more poked?

When I say on the bit/stretchy trot, I don't mean the more upright collected dressage type. I mean a stretchy active trot with the lifted back and really using themselves. When I say light contact/naturally, I mean still forward and using the hind end, but maybe not that same lift through the back, more of a loose trot.

Thanks.
    Last edited by Crown Royal; Dec. 18, 2012 at 08:53 AM.

It depends on how the horse moves best, IMO. I've hacked different ones different ways (although I will say that I like to get them in front of my leg and active behind, then let them poke their noses). I rode a pony who moved best when he trotted like this, but I usually let him poke his nose out more than in that picture. I used to have pictures showing that, but I guess Webshots is something different now and I'm not sure how to get to them anymore.

I personally like him more on the bit with a stretchier trot...it feels like a bigger more active trot to me than letting him take slightly less contact (but he is still pushing from behind and moving loosely- just less active riding from me).

He's going to his first show Saturday and I want to show him off to his best advantage in our hack class, but I don't really know what a judge would see as his better trot. I started doing lower level dressage a couple years ago and while it's made our flatwork a ton better, I'm stuck in wanting to ride him more like that than what I remember as a hunter type.

I'll try to maybe find a happy medium when I school him today.

This can so be up to the judges preference. I saw a judge at an A show that liked their little noses poke a tad forward moving freely. One week later, at an A show, different judge pinned the more "dressagey" look with the head more vertical.

For my girl, who is a great mover, I watch what the judge seems to be pinning, since she moves great either way. Being more of an old-school-purist, I tend to like the noses poked out, but then again, I'm not a judge. =)

That being said, show your horse to his best advantage for moving and remember, don't discount the canter! It is not all about the trot!
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

1 members found this post helpful.

Depends on the horse and the judge. If you can watch a few flat classes you can usually figure out if they have a preference. Otherwise, ride your horse the way he goes best.

4 members found this post helpful.

I ask my mare to bring up her back and allow her to stretch down and slightly poke her nose.
    I still maintain a slight contact while she reaches down for the bit.

Overall, I have seen both pin. Like another said it really comes down to which pair are using themselves correctly and complimenting each other best.

Thanks everyone...I looked up videos of hack classes for various finals/divisions and saw both the poked nose and horses more on the bit.

I definitely am not forgetting about the canter, however he's only four and the trot is our most adjustable/best gait that I can try to show off to our best advantage. Canter is still getting there.

I think I found a happy medium though for his trot today...we'll see!

It really seems to depend on the judge. Rode my friend's mare in the TB celebration show who placed 4th out of 40 in the hack, and this past weekend we didn't even place in the baby green hack at a local small show!
    She's a cute mover, and was well mannered...who knows???
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...18677915_n.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Satin Filly View Post
    It really seems to depend on the judge. Rode my friend's mare in the TB celebration show who placed 4th out of 40 in the hack, and this past weekend we didn't even place in the baby green hack at a local small show!
    She's a cute mover, and was well mannered...who knows???
    http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...18677915_n.jpg
    Cute horse.
    Nobody puts baby in a corner

Quote Originally Posted by hijumpin1 View Post
    Cute horse.

Thanks!! She's my friend's mare that I get to ride/show...which I'm so very thankful for.

Satin Filly: Where did you get those rust breeches? I'm dying to bring them back to the mainstream!

Quote Originally Posted by 222orchids View Post
    Satin Filly: Where did you get those rust breeches? I'm dying to bring them back to the mainstream!
    I bought them from a consignment shop for $40, in great shape!
    I have no idea how old they are, but they're the old enough that TS was still making rust breeches in the classic thick 2-way stretch in childrens sizes.

When you say "Hunter Hack" do you mean the basically pleasure class popular at breed shows where you do your rail stuff and then jump 2 jumps?

Or do you mean the flat class in the Hunter division often called the hack where they jump at least 2 full courses???

Makes a difference. They usually want them a little more "packaged" like a pleasure horse in the 2 jump Hunter Hack. A horse that can gallop regular courses and has just done so is going to go more freely forward and is judged with a bit more leeway in the "package", "frame", "headset department".
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

FindEight- I'm talking about a normal USEF type hunter show with a few over fences and then an under saddle class.

Here are some pictures of his trot, from the show on Saturday (ending our jumping class). We ended up skipping the under saddle class because our division had been running 4+ hours and it was just getting too late to be worth it.

One

Two

Three

Four

Quote Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
    FindEight- I'm talking about a normal USEF type hunter show with a few over fences and then an under saddle class.

Here are some pictures of his trot, from the show on Saturday (ending our jumping class). We ended up skipping the under saddle class because our division had been running 4+ hours and it was just getting too late to be worth it.

One

Two

Three

Four
    He looks pretty cute!!
    I'd say head down a little more and a little more thrust from behind but it all depends on the judge.

My computer isn't cooperating with me, so I'm only going off the first picture: He looks too strung out to me. I think you need to engage his back end more, which will also have the result of getting his head down if you keep contact.

Picture Two- looks better but I like to see a bit more push from behind and head down a touch more.
    But the head will come when the engine starts pushing through his back.

To get way technical on you, I get a "stiff in the lower neck" vibe from this horse.

To school, I'd do it a tad German Dressage way: Put Pookah in a big, forward trot and ask him to stretch down. While's he's down there, ask him to bend and counterflex, too, just to loosen up the base of his neck.

The trick for you, and the German Dressageness of it, is keeping him in that long, loose, forward trot ask you pick up a little more contact and his head comes up. When he loses any of the looseness in his back/base of the neck, you add leg first and that bending before you continue with the contact.

The point is to use your hand, or any of the discussion about where his head/nose is, to mean something about the rest of his body from the base of the neck/shoulders back.

I hope this make sense. Ask questions if it doesn't.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Agree with prevous posters. #2 is the better of the shots but he looks a little hollow through his back and not pushing off the hind end as much as would be desirable. He doesn't necessarily need to be in a tight frame so much as more engaged. It looks like he has a nice way of going and if you work on engaging the hind end to get a more quality trot you will really clean up in the hack!

Good luck he's really cute

Thank you everyone! I usually ride him like a dressage horse, we do lateral movement, counter-bend, true bend, stretch down, extension, collection, and so on. The woman that took us (trained hunters for a long time) said to just let him go on a looser rein and relax. He's only four and he was extremely quiet, but her advice was to let him just loosen up so that's what we did. These pictures were from the end of our jumping round. For our flat class next time I'll actually work him. Thanks for the advice!