The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Toomanytomatoes

I noticed this mare was running against Eblouissante on Dec. 15. She seems to be doing well, but I couldn't find anything when I googled. Anyone know her and her story?

Exactly what kind of information are you looking for?
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Don't know anything but that's sort of a catchy name--in a bizarre sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by betonbill View Post
    Don't know anything but that's sort of a catchy name--in a bizarre sort of way.
    I don't precisiely know where her name came from but her dam is Toomanytomorrows. "Tomatoes" has run quite well in Southern California and could well give Zenyatta's half sister all she can handle.

Quote Originally Posted by Glimmerglass View Post
    Perfect! Thanks for the info! I was just really curious about her, as her name and record caught my eye. Flashy gal!

Quote Originally Posted by Toadie's mom View Post
    Exactly what kind of information are you looking for?
    I was trying to find a picture of her and see if anyone knew anything about her unusual name, or if she had any interesting stories behind her.

I live near Harris Ranch and I laughed when I saw this! The Central Valley has a huge number of tomato farms; during harvesting season, there's always stray tomatoes at every intersection that the trucks lost when they turned. I'm betting that's where they came up with the name.

Quote Originally Posted by RockstarPony View Post
    I live near Harris Ranch and I laughed when I saw this! The Central Valley has a huge number of tomato farms; during harvesting season, there's always stray tomatoes at every intersection that the trucks lost when they turned. I'm betting that's where they came up with the name.
    That's pretty danged funny!

Quote Originally Posted by RockstarPony View Post
    Aha! A semi-logical explanation. Anyway, for some strange reason I LOVE the name--so clever. I'll keep track of her.

Finished a distant 2nd in a four horse race. A good effort, but little can be gleaned from such a small field.

Finished a distant 2nd in a four horse race. A good effort, but little can be gleaned from such a small field.
    Thanks, Glimmer! I was just about to check the results!

ETA: When it says the claiming prices for this race, does that mean that those three mares were claimed, or just the amount they could have been claimed for?
    It said each mare in the race had a claiming price of $40k, but Toomanytomatoes wasn't listed. Thanks!

That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure! Thanks!

Really? Learned something new. I thought it meant, since "optional" claiming, that 'Maters was not put in as a claimer. I did not think the other 3 horses were actually claimed?
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

Quote Originally Posted by ThisTooShallPass View Post
    Really? Learned something new. I thought it meant, since "optional" claiming, that 'Maters was not put in as a claimer. I did not think the other 3 horses were actually claimed?
    You are correct and my mistake - when I went back to the original entries:

Race 4: the three cited horses were in for a claim - whereas entries Eblouissante (a late scratch) & Toomanytomatoes were not entered in for a claim.

Was either of the three claimers claimed? It does not appear to either the case or if it is that isn't disclosed from the Betfair HP site.

You are correct and my mistake - when I went back to the original entries:

Race 4: the three cited horses were in for a claim - whereas entries Eblouissante (a late scratch) & Toomanytomatoes were not entered in for a claim.

Was either of the three claimers claimed? It does not appear to either the case or if it is that isn't disclosed from the Betfair HP site.
    Glimmer - would it have been unusual for 3 of a field of 4 horses to have been claimed? From what I've seen, maybe one or two would be claimed in a regular claiming race. Sorry for my naive questions - I'm very NOT race knowledgeable!

It didn't look like any of them were claimed. I think it usually mentions it in the area where they would give the claiming prices and before the race chart.

Quote Originally Posted by JumpQH View Post
    Glimmer - would it have been unusual for 3 of a field of 4 horses to have been claimed? From what I've seen, maybe one or two would be claimed in a regular claiming race. Sorry for my naive questions - I'm very NOT race knowledgeable!
    Not Glimmer , but yes, that would have been very unusual.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?