The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Opinions on Replenish dog food?

Our sales rep wants us to bring in this dog food into our small feed store in a small town. We already carry Blue Buffalo, regular and grain free, Diamond, TOTW, Infinia, Exclusive, and a few lesser-thans... I've been contemplating making a move to get Orijen in since they aren't too far from us but we can only carry so many high-end brands in our dirt-poor little town...

Curious if you see anything special in this food that is worth bringing it in. I can bring it by the bag, no minimums... price point is lower than Blue, TOTW or Infinia... about $40 for a 30 lb bag if I remember right...(it's been a long day)

I have to admit I'm intrigued by the pumpkin.

http://replenishpet.com/replenishcbr28.html
    Last edited by cowboymom; Dec. 12, 2012 at 09:28 PM. Reason: typo

Not something I would ever consider feeding, but I look for a much higher protein and kcal content, and am currently feeding Orijen, so I'm not really the target market.

This looks to be fairly comparable to kibbles like Nutrisource or the Nature's Variety Prairie lineup. Were do they source their ingredients?

It says made/manufactured in the US on the sales information and if I remember correctly they're out of California. I can call the company in the morning, actually. We try to only have American made quality stuff but sometimes we are a voice in the wilderness, so to speak....

I know it isn't primo stuff, hence the reference to my impoverished (population 2000, unemployment 18%) town. We're doing the best we can to offer better options than Alpo from the grocery store. I know I'd rather see different percentages too. I wondered if maybe it could fill a niche if we offloaded our remaining Nutro dregs...

Yep, I'd say the Nutro Ultra is another good comparable.

My biggest concern with these "lower end" (not lower end compared to Alpo, but lower end on as far as premiums go, I think you KWIM?) is where they're made, quality controls at that plant, where the ingredients come from and the quality.

If these guys are a small producer with good quality controls and US ingredients, that's fabulous, and you should definitely give them a shot

what kind of price? that's definitely a better-than-average, but not top-tier food, so if it is being sold at a relatively cheap price it may find a niche in your market.

1 members found this post helpful.

I think there's a huge group of people who would like to feed middle ground food to their dogs....they can't afford the really good stuff but want something better than supermarket food. Do the recommended serving sizes seem kind of high? Grizz is a bit over 100lbs now and he's still only getting 4 cups a day of BB, and it has a lower Kcal count. I bet I could even cut him down to 3 1/2, he's not overweight but he's not slim either. Makes me think it might run a little more expensive to feed even if it's less $$ right up front.
    Kerri